Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Too much F*#%$n choice!!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Neelix, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Neelix

Neelix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While I know this forum rocks for getting the reall nitty gritty issues put to bed, it has the added side effect of inducing nauseating, mindless confusion :zonked: :suicide: :D

I was originally looking at plasma, didn't get very far as I discovered DLP RP, but am now back looking at plasmas! My criteria is as follows:

I work from home therefore this display needs to double up as a monitor i.e. high resolution, as my work is 99% pc based. That said, I love my movies and sport so it needs to be a real showcase for these attributes. The forum has been invaluable in ensuring I am familiar with all the latest connections and future proofing for HDTV e.g. DVI/HDMI and HDCP. I am moving into a new build apartment within a few weeks and ideally want something soon. The plasma would be the designers choice with its sleek wall mounted display and hidden wires :cool: However, I am drawn by the 50"+ high definition capability of the DLPs. That said each technology has drawbacks and I can't make up my feckin mind :mad: Soooooooo, what plasma will give me the best PQ (forget sound already sorted), is HD, future proof, reliable and best value for money? I am looking to spend between £1500-3000 to get what I need for a screen size of 42"-50" with my current DLP favourite being the Samsung 50" on the pedestal.

I have seen the Pioneer 50" HD plasma via DVi which looked very good but I cannot believe how crap most plasmas look with Sky Digital and traditional Comet feeds. While I realise screen size exagerates these poor signals it has to be said CRT tv's certainly look much better. I am also concerned that there is better flat panel technology just around the corner with a number of reports suggesting plasma days are numbered!

Regarding DLP technology, well I have to say with the correct source (especially HD content) it can look stunning barring a few notable problems such as a shimmering/noise/static attribute in solid colour areas e.g. blue skys, greys although this is only really noticeable up close. The rainbow effects do not show for me so that's OK.

In conclusion these are my choices so far:

Plasma
    Pioneer XDE 43"
    Hitachi PD4200 42"
    LG 42" (both HD versions)

DLP
    Samsung 50"
    Toshiba 52" (available soon)

So what do I do?! What can serve my needs the best now and in the future? I'm leaning towards plasma ( my new wife wants plasma but she doesn't count ;) )

[Princess Leia voice] Help me AV Forums... you are my only hope! [/Princess Leia voice]

2. 406lx

406lx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I went into comet yesterday to have a look at plasmas, there was also a Sagem HD DLP there.

What struck me was that there were 10 or 15 plasmas running the same feed, yet the DLP was running a feed all to itself.

I admit the DLP looked amazing, however going to a place like this does not give you a fair comparison.

I would say the best thing to do is find an independant dealer who can set up the screens you have listed and let your eyes do the choosing with the sources you are going to use.

Both the pioneer and LG screens are well rated on here.

3. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    I've just seen a dem from the Euro1080 satellite station being shown on a big (possibly 50") Pioneer. The station transmits programmes at 1080i 50hz. The picture was VERY impressive. Would have liked to have seen it on a smaller screen and LCD for comparison. You need to buy a specific HDTV box, and a dish for the Astra satellite, and I think there is a subscription to pay!.

4. Neelix

Neelix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    406lx, the Sagem DLP you saw was running through it's own HTPC with the latest WMV-HD clips being pumped through it (720p & 1080i) hence the reason for the stunning pictures. I have viewed almost all the current range of DLPs and plasmas although not side by side and with the same source. Most independants don't stock DLPs so it's hard to make comparisons.

Can anybody recommend other HD plasmas that I haven't listed above?

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Be aware that the Euro1080 has several business partners - one of them being the company that makes the sat box (Thomson), and another being Pioneer, one of the few companies in Europe that make a plasma TV capable of displaying HDTV at 50Hz. And they say that Sky has a monopoly :rolleyes: :laugh: