Too much choice!!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by baldrick, Mar 20, 2006.

1. baldrick

baldrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Ok, I've posted on this subject before but never really get anywhere, so I figured I'd have another go!!!

I want to build a scalable A/V setup running from media centre PCs. The whole point of the exercise is that all the hardware will be in a central hub with screens, speakers and controls in the rooms. To this end I don't want XBox 360/media centre extenders!!!

Initally I want to build two machines:

1. A rackmounted HTPC with dual freeview tuners, multi-channel (5.1/7.1) audio and component video GPU.

2. Preferably a rackmounted file server with 1.5TB RAID5 (6 x 300GB SATA drives) storage. I want to be able to increase the storage capacity as required, potentially in chunks of 1.5TB

All media content will be stored on the server therefore the HTPC does not need huge HDDs etc...

I've got no problems with buying/building the machines, it's just working out which components to go for, Intel/AMD etc... Do my requirments justify dual core processors? What PSU etc...?

These machines will be used for media content and potentially web browsing but nothing else (no Office, photo editing etc...)

Any advice on components would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance....

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Intel or AMD? Toss a coin, there's absolutely no practical difference as far as I can see when it comes to HTPCs or servers .. or for that matter most anything else. :)

Dual core will do nothing for an HTPC most of the time, and even HT-enabled systems are largely pointless, however dual-core is now the 'in thing' so you'll probably find it easier to use one.

Not sure what else you're concerned about. For a video card then a 6600 I think is the current favourite, not sure about audio as I'm happy with on-board chipsets.

3. baldrick

baldrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Thanks for the input!

What about processor speeds/type? The Intel chips tend to be more self explanatory eg: Intel P4 HT 3.00GHz. What would the equivelant AMD chip be?

Similarly with the video card do I want to go for an actual ATI or nVidia card, or another manufacture with a particular chip set?

4. baldrick

baldrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    I've just read another post where this mobo was recommended:Asus A8N-VM CSM

My main requirement is for component video output so I'm assuming I'd have to add a graphics card!?!?

5. Son of Shaft

Son of Shaft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Instead of the Asus get the MSI K8NGM2-FID. Uses the same chipset but has a additional bracket with component video out.
    If you want more 3D power, some of the Geforce7600's that should be coming out at the end of the week are passively cooled.

6. baldrick

baldrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Noise isn't an issue as the hardware will be in a hub on the 2nd floor, well away from where it's being watched!