Too much choice too many amps too many leads arrgghh

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Damnyoureyes, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Damnyoureyes

Damnyoureyes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok folks

Thinking about getting a new toy and was leaning towards getting an new AV receiver to replace my still-sounds-very-good Sherwood DD5.1 amp but is about 4-5 years old I suppose

I've been looking at the Yamaha AX750 as this would give me dolby digital 7.1 and would also sort out some of my AV lead connection headaches

then saw the Yahama 2400 which is sort of double the price
    I see it has THX but is there that much difference has the 2400 got other extras that make it worth the extra

I know you pay your money you make your choice but any assistance would be great are they the best for that sort of money???

Thinking more on the watching films but do play some music
    Cheers

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,713
    Firstly- welcome :).
    The shiny new Yamaha 750 does do a great many things in common with its bigger brother and does (IMO) represent extremely good value for money. The RXV2400 does have the option of "head room" channels up in the eaves above front left and right (so yes that's 9.1 :eek: ) and does carry the full THX processing suite which can make a huge difference depending on the room and speakers you have. Whilst the 750 is a nicely built amp for the money, the 2400 is a really nicely built product and does feel like money well spent.
    There is a half way house in the form of the Yamaha RXV1400 which is the same processor and feature count as the 2400 but has slightly less power. It has been a hit with those who have bought it on the forums and could be the right balance between the right features and price.
    HTH
    Ed

3. Damnyoureyes

Damnyoureyes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks Ed for that nice welcome
    Right that's the first post out the way now you won't be able shut me up

9.1 eek I shudder to think how much jewellery those extra speakers would cost me for girlfriend placation maybe stick with the 7.1 for now

I think my front speakers have four connectors for each side Looking at the back of the 750 would I be able to hook up all those connections (as at the moment they're both the high and the low are on the same terminal)

Is this correct would it make a noticable difference and do the dials as your sig says go up to 11?

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,713
    You can connect the twin terminals of the "Speaker A-B" function of the Yamaha's to the speakers but (and somebody correct me if I'm wrong) this output is split off the same output so it is not true biamping. You might want to try it and see what you think. Pioneer and Arcam are the only people that let you take amps 6 and 7 and slave them to amps one and two.
    Volume is an infinite encoder and goes round forever. "+11" on a Yamaha would be very loud and teetering on the edge of detonation as they go through from -70 to 0 (reference when they are set up by their own mic) and then + a couple of extra points with added distortion. I had a Yamaha 620 and it never got beyond -25 as that was bloody loud enough.