Too much choice...Please Help!

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Norman, Oct 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    I visited my local John Lewis store today with a view to nailing down a final choice of TV, but left the store in even more of a quandary trying to decide what to buy.

I’ve yet to decide on screen size, 55” being a minimum, but if SWMBO approves, 65” beckons, although I have set myself a max budget of £2.2K, thus ruling out OLED above 55”.

My short list (and viewed today) are...

Sony XE93 LED @ 55” or 65”
    LG B/C7 OLED 55”
    Panasonic EZ952B OLED 55”

I thought it would be an easy choice at 55”, OLED all the way, but I can’t get OLED’s limited HDR brightness out of my mind, and typically, the Sony XE93 was demoing material that really showed off its high brightness capabilities, looking obviously more spectacular than the XE90 it was sat next to (which is still brighter than OLED).

I was also thrown a curve ball by the Panasonic EZ952B. I’d ruled it out purely because of no DV support, but having seen it alongside the LG’s, I think it’s picture processing was much nicer, leaving me with another quandary that if I do go OLED, it now might not be LG...urrr.

If anyone whose recently gone through this buying process can spare the time to offer any useful comments (particularly post purchase, did it live up to expectation) I’d really appreciate it.
    I guess I need some reassurance that absolute brightness and lack of DV support isn’t the be-all for HDR content?

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,532
    Only if you're in a hurry to buy, the 2016 65" OLEDs went to down around £2,300, so this year's models could potentially hit £2.2k.

Not in some scenes it's not. The OLED can apply it's peak brightness at any time, while the XE90 is limited by the large size of it's dimming zones (especially the 49/55" versions). Sometimes the XE90's peak brightness will be less than an OLED.

On the other hand, OLEDs have a more aggressive brightness limiter, so when the entire scene is bright (e.g. snow) they have to dim themselves.

Swings and roundabouts really, but I'd be surprised if an XE90 was brighter than an OLED on average

3. AndyRg4

AndyRg4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    All of the TVs mentioned are great TVs. The weakest of the group is the XE93 in my opinion as the edge lit local dimming has quite a lot of haloing around bright objects on a dark background (hence in the showrooms they will usually play really bright colourful content). The XE90 in this regard actually performs better, although it is not as bright and doesn't support Dolby Vision.
    If it was my choice, I wouldn't be bother by the lack of Dolby Vision and go for the EZ952. The picture quality is superb and although it is not the brightest TV, having an absolute black as the starting canvas and individual pixel control gives you pictures that have a very wide contrast ratio and images with incredible depth.
    Throw in a fantastic smart platform and it really is hard to recommend anything else except maybe the LG OLEDs for Dolby Vision support, except that in my opinion the picture processing is superior in the Panasonic

4. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Thanks guys, plenty of food for thought. I’ve got to make my mind up now as I’ve now sold my 55F8000 to my sister-in-law.
    Wife’s also given the nod to 65”, so do I settle on a 65” XE93 or 55” OLED?

5. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,532
    Are you talking from experience or theoretically? The dimming zones on the XE93 are smaller which should result in less haloing.

6. Andrew Lau

Andrew Lau

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    Not an easy choice...if you have a massive room (viewing distance more than 9 feet) and very bright sun light the XE93 may well be a better overall choice. In most cases I would go with the OLED though...

Head down to the store and get them to play the same content on both displays...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  7. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Thank you to those who have answered.

My room is rectangular (Approx 3.4m x 7m) with the tv centrally mounted on one of the 3.4m walls. My seating position is approximately 3m from it but there is a sofa running along the back wall with the nearest seat being only 1m away.
    On the other 7m wall are two South facing windows, so the room does get bright, and I forgot to say in my previous posts, we seldom view in a darkened room (wife likes to have a light on to read).
    Given the above, is my room to “bright” for an OLED?

8. Marcos Silva

Marcos Silva
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  9. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Thank you, but I've finalised my OLED decision on the LG B/C7 (if its good enough for @Steve Withers it'll be good enough for me :)) and the only decision left is 65" XE93 or 55" LG OLED.

10. AndyRg4

AndyRg4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Talking from experience. The extra brightness along with the edge lit array causes more problems the limited amount of dimmable zones on the XE90 does.
    I'm not sure if we are allowed to name drop but I work in a store that has all the big four brands and we are the only store in the country able to show live 4K broadcasts simultaneously to every TV in the store

11. Andrew Lau

Andrew Lau

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    2017 OLEDS are bright enough that it is unlikely that any room will be "too bright" for them...the LG C7 in particular is the brightest of the 2017 OLEDS. However, given that your room is not usually "dark" I'm going to go out on a limb and recommend you get the 65inch sony instead. My main reason for doing so is your viewing distance. 3m is substantial and your room is large.. furthermore, given that you are clearly not (yet) a videophile, you are likely to appreciate the added size of 10 inches more than the subtle differences in picture quality, compared to a more fussy viewer.

One final thing to note is that the Sony's will have somewhat poorer viewing angles, meaning that if view them from the side, the picture will not be as good. Please go to the shop to test this out and consider if it will affect you, given your seating arrangements.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  12. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Things don’t get any easier!!!
    Just when I thought my mind was made up and I’d settled on the LG 65B7V I popped in to John Lewis today to do the deal, but left empty handed still unsure what to buy.
    My problem is that although the OLED picture is lovely, the XE93 is only a smidging behind it and still looked stunning (after I’d turned off vivid mode), BUT, I think the scaling and motion handling on the XE93 was much nicer than the LG.
    Obviously the Sony A1 would be my perfect screen but it’s far too expensive, so I’m left trying to decide what will bug me less between the 65B7 and 65XE93.

I spent a lot of time today viewing the XE93 off centre at about the position one of my sofas will be and wasn’t an issue (although I could see the drop off you refer to as I moved further off Centre).

13. AndyRg4

AndyRg4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Best test is with a bright object against a dark background. The XE93 will have haloes of light around the bright object even when viewed head on (last years XD93 was better in this regard but not as bright), but as you go even 30 degrees from centre that haloing becomes very bad.
    The B7 will have none of that and as there are no haloes, the image seems to have more depth.
    Yes the upscaling and motion are better on the Sony but aren't what you would call bad on the B7.
    In Sony's range this year, I actually think the XE90 is a better picture. Being backlit it doesn't suffer as much from the haloing and whilst it doesn't have the X1 Extreme processor or support for Dolby Vision, the overall picture suffers less from LCDs flaws by not pushing the brightness to the extreme

14. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    I was using the movie Passengers promo clip to test this. It was ideal as black top/bottom bars and lots of dark space scenes.
    My sofa (and it’s not the primary viewing seat) is probably less than 20 degrees off centre and I couldn’t see any decernable degradation at that point.

I also spent time looking at the XE90 but I think the XE93 looked better.
    This is also the conclusion in most reviews I’ve seen.

15. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +672
    This may be silly at this stage as I'm sure you have already done this, but just in case - with the OLED - before you decide its too dark, do make sure you have flipped through the various picture modes.

On the brighter modes I have no issues in a room on days over the past week that have had sunlight streaming in (one side of this 6.5x5.5m room is floor to ceiling windows + a bay window on another side and a small window on the other - ie I get a lot of outside light). Obviously, it not great if you are trying to watch a dark movie, but normally lit content still appears bright and vivid on the brighter cinema mode. For a well lit room, I normally use the bright cinema mode and just switch to the dark when room lighting is dimmed.

Peek brightness with HDR/DV content can get very bright indeed to the point of sometimes feeling a bit flash blinded on extreme changes from inside near darkness to outside bright snow etc - ie pretty much like someone did actually dig you out of your dark cave into bright sunlight - that very much seems to depend on how the content was mastered rather than the TV.

The thing I'm still getting used to is the fades/cuts to complete black rather than the usual fades/cuts to dim grey. Its a little disconcerting at first as normally when a TV is that black its because its switched off/has died :)

16. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    I don’t think I need persuading that OLED is best for PQ and plenty bright enough for me, it’s more a choice between the superior picture processing on the Sony vs LG OLED PQ.
    It’s a pity the LG didn’t have the same demo material on it as the Sony’s to allow for 1:1 comparison, but the movie demo I saw on the LG didn’t look great, lots of artifacts (mostly in dark scenes). Of course this could be down to poor source material on the LG but I would assume they only put the best demo stuff on it to show it at its best?
    The Sony A1 OLED was perfect, just too damned expensive (unless I drop to 55”) but what I saw yesterday left me wondering if the LG OLED was really worth paying £600 more for over the XE93?

17. Andrew Lau

Andrew Lau

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    now that you are choosing between 65 inches versions it becomes much more difficult compared to your original query(because of your specific room conditions.) if picture processing is your gripe you may wish to consider the 65 inch Panasonic ez952 oled. Ultimately you are unlikely to go wrong with any of these choices so get whatever your gut says

18. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    I think my gut is starting to lean towards the Sony XE93 and keeping £600 in my pocket.