Too Many Wires...

kingolympics

Prominent Member
Reaction score
With the arrival of my new Xbox, I want to try and tidy the endless cables I have around my tv.

I bought a cable tidy box, which was quite large, but has turned out to be too small. Now my problems are set to grow with a new console.

does anyone have similar struggles or creative solutions?

Most of my cables are suitably hidden; devices are in a 'pidgeonholes' cabinet I built decades ago (mounted on a 'kitchen' worktop in the bedroom, with 15cms gap behind), my son wanted to put his Xbox on last week so out came the Topfield PVR to make space for it.

Don’t know the specifics of the XBox but here are some tricks I use to make cabling tidier.

1. Cables are often too long. If they are proprietary then there isn’t much you can do. But if HDMI, ethernet, phono, optical etc. then buy the length you need. If you need a 1m ethernet and have a 2m one, then that extra 1m is going to look untidy. They can usually be found cheap enough on eBay.
  2. Zip Ties #1. If you have a cable that is way longer than you need and can’t be changed then neatly coil up the excess at the end where it will be least noticeable and zip tie it secure
  3. Zip Ties #2. Make looms. If you have four cables to the device then bunch them together and zip tie them, splitting into smaller looms when they need to take different paths. A single loom looks a lot neater and less noticeable than separate wires.
  4. Use you furniture. If going into a TV unit and the unit has a back panel, then attach cables on the rear of the back panel. You can get self-adhesive brackets that you can zip tie to.
  5. Does you TV unit have a back. If not, make one. Bit of hardboard with sticky back plastic to match/complement the unit. Cut neat holes where you need them and just big enough that they need to be. Attach to unit with screws or double sided sticky pads, or sticky velcro.
Warning. The only thing I would say is make sure you have every you want and where it needs to be. Doung the above results in a neat and tidy solution but can be a pain if later you say “actually, I’d prefer the UHD player over here.

This isn’t my TV, still in the process of sorting that out myself. This is some of wiring in my office. I used a small billy bookcase from Ikea, got the doors for it. The bottom third is for networking and power, the top two thirds are shelves for books etc.

D0A162A6-BB40-4159-B2AE-B6280EEB67D3.jpeg

Some of the thing you can see here.

• Mains extension - lead cut short to the length required
  • Power supplies - excessive cable coiled and zip-tied
  • Holes cut in the bookcase back where needed
  • Wires hidden behind the book case
  • Mains extension, power supply and network switch stuck down with double sided sticky sponge pads to stop them moving about
  • With the doors closed you can’t see any of it.
  • Ethernet cables just the right length
  • Colour co-ordination can help to - like the ethernet cables are all white - I find black works best in AV units.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:
A very helpful post Nigel.
Will definitely use theses tips and tips now and in the future.
Thanks.

Mine is similar but there's a lot more of it. I'm fairly sure I glimpsed a scart cable slithering around at the bottom of the pile the other day, but it wriggled away before I could grab it.

Don’t know the specifics of the XBox but here are some tricks I use to make cabling tidier.

1. Cables are often too long. If they are proprietary then there isn’t much you can do. But if HDMI, ethernet, phono, optical etc. then buy the length you need. If you need a 1m ethernet and have a 2m one, then that extra 1m is going to look untidy. They can usually be found cheap enough on eBay.
  2. Zip Ties #1. If you have a cable that is way longer than you need and can’t be changed then neatly coil up the excess at the end where it will be least noticeable and zip tie it secure
  3. Zip Ties #2. Make looms. If you have four cables to the device then bunch them together and zip tie them, splitting into smaller looms when they need to take different paths. A single loom looks a lot neater and less noticeable than separate wires.
  4. Use you furniture. If going into a TV unit and the unit has a back panel, then attach cables on the rear of the back panel. You can get self-adhesive brackets that you can zip tie to.
  5. Does you TV unit have a back. If not, make one. Bit of hardboard with sticky back plastic to match/complement the unit. Cut neat holes where you need them and just big enough that they need to be. Attach to unit with screws or double sided sticky pads, or sticky velcro.
Warning. The only thing I would say is make sure you have every you want and where it needs to be. Doung the above results in a neat and tidy solution but can be a pain if later you say “actually, I’d prefer the UHD player over here.

This isn’t my TV, still in the process of sorting that out myself. This is some of wiring in my office. I used a small billy bookcase from Ikea, got the doors for it. The bottom third is for networking and power, the top two thirds are shelves for books etc.

View attachment 1396415

Some of the thing you can see here.

• Mains extension - lead cut short to the length required
  • Power supplies - excessive cable coiled and zip-tied
  • Holes cut in the bookcase back where needed
  • Wires hidden behind the book case
  • Mains extension, power supply and network switch stuck down with double sided sticky sponge pads to stop them moving about
  • With the doors closed you can’t see any of it.
  • Ethernet cables just the right length
  • Colour co-ordination can help to - like the ethernet cables are all white - I find black works best in AV units.

Cheers,

Nigel
OK Nigel is clearly a man who loves his work... 🤣🤣🤣

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom