1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too many TV's to choose from!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by SportiveUK, Feb 17, 2002.

1. SportiveUK

SportiveUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I currently have a Toshiba 28" non-widescreen TV which although 5 yrs old still has a superb picture. However, having upgraded to a very decent a/v system & speaker set up I would really like a nice widescreen TV to complete my home cinema!

My problem is that I just want the screen. I don't need IDTV, DD, Pro-logic or anything built in as it will be purely used as a monitor. All I need is an RGB scart and an S-video Scart on the back and a good picture.

I have trawled through reviews, postings, specifications and still have no idea what to go for. Ideally I would like 32" to be the minimum size but due to a complete house rennovation (and the sound set up) I have a budget of £1000 max.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction as to what I should be looking at?

Many thanks

2. Spencem

Spencem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Currys, Dixons, Power House and any other out of town retailers FOR LOOKS ONLY. Then when you have a shortlist a decent dealer who will offer a better price and after sales service, or John Lewis who will price match and give a free 5 year warranty.
    As for sound, you will probably end up with something that you don't ever use, like my DD thats not even wired up.

Have fun.

3. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am in a similar quandary.

I don't need anything other than a Nicam set (the sound is handled by my STRDB940 and Mission speakers) - but it seems that if you want a solid picture and decent connectivity, you end up paying for prologic/dolby digital which I will not be using.

I am looking at the JVC AV-32WFT1, the Hitachi C32WF535N or if budget permits the Tosh 36ZP18P.

Allders have the Tosh and Hitachi in stock with 5-year warranty etc so I might try the price-match on them. With all the potential pitfalls that spring up with TV's, I am hesitant to buy online even if it's saves a couple of hundred pounds. Maybe it's psychological - I didn't worry about buying my receiver, DVD player and speakers online (after checking them out first!)

4. Joachim

Joachim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my opinion the best 32" TV is the Sony KV32FQ75, picture quality is first rate, DRC really works!! Sound is plain Nicam, so you're not paying for any surround formats you aren't going to use! Happy viewing!!

5. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Steve T

Be aware that of the 3 TV's you mentioned, the JVC is about to be discontinued, the Hitachi has already been discontinued and the Toshiba, well, look at the posts on this forum before you buy.

Personally I would suggest you look at the Philips 32PW6515, this TV can be had for £750, there have been problems posted on this site but these posts mainly concern the 28" version.

6. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for that David T.

I'll certainly look into the Philips set, £750 sounds good.

It's a nightmare picking a TV...by the time you read a few decent reviews and have found it in a shop to see for yourself, and then saved up the necessary cash - it's been discontinued! Then you find that the replacement model is a dog and you're back to square one!

There are still plenty of websites and shops with the Hitachi and JVC available, so if they're discontinued - I may be able to pick one up for a better price.

7. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with DavidT. I nervously bought the Philips 32PW6515 a few weeks ago and I am well pleased with it. I purely wanted it as a screen for the same reasons. I bought mine from Hispek.com (mail order) for £649 without the stand (£749 with it). £200 less than Currys.

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Andrew

This difference between 28 and 32 isn’t huge but 32 inch is certainly better than 28, however you already have a very good 28 inch. With the spec you want (NICAM and good picture), things aren’t that much different from 5 years ago. The development in the last 5 years are 100Hz, PL, DD / DTS, 36 inch (forgetting the early Philips) and flat screens. In reality you often (always) get a better picture from Curved tubes anyway (look at the Loewe tvs, the best picture comes from the Credo but does it EVER get mentioned here, Vitros and Aconda get all the press). Most of the above things are things that are irrelevant to you (most you have on your amp), is this really a good time to buy a new tv for you?

Why not hang fire for a while and then treat yourself to one of these new cheap projectors (when you can get another £500 together say) and have a really big picture. A 72 inch projector screen has a 90 inch diagonal, compare that with 28/32, and you still have a perfectly good 28 inch Toshiba.

9. SportiveUK

SportiveUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks for all the comments.

The real reason for wanting widescreen is that watching DVD's, even on a 28" normal TV, means a rather small viewing area! I can zoom up from the DVD but that kind of defeats the object of having widescreen films.

I am quite happy to pay £600-700(ish) for a decent 32" widescreen in the interim (I'll look at the Philips above) but eventually I would like a nice big projector screen. I must admit I have not really explored this at the moment...Nic, which "cheap new" projectors are you referring to?

Thanks!

10. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Loewe Aconda or Vitros - John Lewis (got my Vitros with 5 year warranty from John Lewis) do these. The Vitros is cheaper. I have got one for some of the same reasons as you (i have sony strdb940 and mission speakers). My Vitros is a Nicam tv with three scarts (scart 2 and 3 are RGB). Also has side s-video connector. It has stereo output, so you can route this to amp if needed. Do a search for Loewe, Vitros, Aconda.

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Have a look at

http://www.av-sales.com/projectors/html/projectors_by_price_1-2.html

This is just one site I have picked to demonstrate prices. On AVFORUM every two to three months there is a buzz about a new cheap projector, currently it is the

Panasonic AE100

Previously we have had

Hitachi PJ-LC2001
    Mitsubishi LVP-X70BU
    Philips UGO X-LITE
    Philips Monroe
    Sanyo PLV-30
    Toshiba TLP-MT7
    Sony VPL-HS1

And Plus / NEC / Infocus models as well.

Everyone has their favourites (I still have a soft spot for the Sanyo PLV 30 (cheaper as the identical LC-VM1)).

If you have a quick look you will see the Panny at £1370, not a million miles away from where you are thinking. The days of £18k on a projector are long gone.

12. SportiveUK

SportiveUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I think (after consultation with the boss) that attempting a projector set up is probably not an option at the moment...so...

I have looked at the specs of the Philips 32PW6515 that Unbeatable are selling for £647 but don't really know if the specs are going to match what I need. It is not 100hz but then does it really make that much difference?

Also, the tech specs confuse me! I need an S-Video In connection via SCART and it is not clear if this is present or not. My Toshiba has RGB SCART/S-Video SCART/S-Video DIN.

It's not massively expensive but all the same I don't want to waste £650 on something that is not going to be pretty damn good!!

Andrew