Too many speakers to choose from.

Lfiya

Novice Member
Reaction score
I started a different thread asking the question which speakers to choose from between just two sets and was given so many alternatives that i cant decipher what is best. I have had so good advice but was wondering what people thought of the following
Q acoustics 3050 or 3050i
Monitor audio bronze 200 or 500's
Wharfedale 230 or 12.3
Mission lx4 mk2
Dali spektor 6
I have an old sony tafb940r uk and dont want to change it as i have grown attached to it. I listen to dance music so want pretty good bass and non harsh or shrill highs. Any help with this is greatly appreciated. Many thanks all

Davis always have good bass and the tweeters are magic, then again I'm not such a big fan since they went down the 3 way tunnel. Anyway with the damping factor of your amp the bass should be kept under great control.
As of damping factor don't get any speakers that could be described as tight (they'll work but you won't get their full potential).
As for that list I couldn't tell you but I probably wouldn't go for the MA's with that amp as from the specs you need speakers that give nice free bass. Seems to me some have just suggested speakers they like with their system.

Last edited:
Davis always have good bass and the tweeters are magic, then again I'm not such a big fan since they went down the 3 way tunnel. Anyway with the damping factor of your amp the bass should be kept under great control.
As of damping factor don't get any speakers that could be described as tight (they'll work but you won't get their full potential).
As for that list I couldn't tell you but I probably wouldn't go for the MA's with that amp as from the specs you need speakers that give nice free bass. Seems to me some have just suggested speakers they like with their system.
Thanks for you reply. So the dali' differ from the monitor audio' with the bass being looser? I understand what you mean i think. Would you say the same of the wharfedales? as they are the ones im edging towards as from what i can gather they are the specifications and have the aural characteristics im looking for, i think. I dont have opportunity to test these out unfortunately.

Thanks for you reply. So the dali' differ from the monitor audio' with the bass being looser? I understand what you mean i think. Would you say the same of the wharfedales? as they are the ones im edging towards as from what i can gather they are the specifications and have the aural characteristics im looking for, i think. I dont have opportunity to test these out unfortunately.
I said nothing about Dali's I don't know them. I said DAVIS (it's a French company that makes good speakers but are perhaps a bit expensive for what they are then again so are KEFs in the UK).
You'll have to ask others about whether they feel speakers are tight or not. Davis I know are 'fast' and bassy so profit from being damped.
One thing I would watch out for with modern floorstanders is having a heap of mid and bass drivers which really complicates speaker placement, I am really restricted by this as my floor is tiles on concrete and ceiling is reinforced concrete even so the more mid/bass drivers you have the more complicated positionning gets.
Simplicity is often the best way forward so 2 way maxi with a tweeter and a mid/bass driver, which in your price range points towards bookshelves on a decent stand with a sub woofer. Just my opinion.

What speakers are you using at the moment?
What are the points you like and don't like about them?

You're right, there is too much choice.
I don't know how they all stay in business.

Dali Spektor 1 are nice speakers. Nice tight bass. Forward midrange, though. Same with the treble. It doesn’t sound bright, but tad distracting. Trumpets as example.

If you go for Bronze speakers you’ll notice more weight in the bass. Fuller midrange, bass.

8 inch speakers are going to sound slower then Bronze 200. I’d go for the 200.

Bronze 500 needs more space around them. QA are more laidback, but perhaps more real life sounding. Better nuanced midrange.

If your keen on Dali, rather chose Oberon 5 or Oberon 7.

Then again I know nothing about the amplifier. How much current can it give?

Remember all this speakers are hifi speakers, perhaps not suited for dance music.

Try Klipsh, Cervin Vega, Polk instead.

If so listen to them first.

Thanks everyone for your input but im tring to narrow it down not widen the scope haha i cant look at anymore speakers other than those i first posted about because im about to lose the will to live :) i just want some cheapish decent speakers with decentish bass and not shrill highs :)

But it’s important the amplifier can give enough current, epically dance music. It’s dynamic sounding music, depending on the recording.

I seem to remember the amplifier is surrounded receiver. Is this correct?

Thanks everyone for your input but im tring to narrow it down not widen the scope haha i cant look at anymore speakers other than those i first posted about because im about to lose the will to live :) i just want some cheapish decent speakers with decentish bass and not shrill highs :)
Q acoustics speakers in my opinion sound very good, are usually easy to drive and do most things well. Most reviews agree. I'd go with the 3050 as they are big, solid and easy to drive as said, and can be gotten rather inexpensive. The 3050i may be a slight improvement but I'd doubt mere mortals would notice a difference

Remember all this speakers are hifi speakers, perhaps not suited for dance music.

Not sure what you think dance music demands that a respectable hifi speaker when driven by a capable amp may prove unsuitable?

If its the low end, well I can think of plenty of music across other genres that are equally demanding. Alot of the jazz I listen to is more demanding of good controlled bass handling and certainly benefits from a system with an extended low end response.

In general when it comes to extended range floor standers (ie those that extend down towards 30Hz) at any budget but of a respectable make, then the amp can be the major factor is what bass end is like and I have no idea what the OPs old sony amp is like. A quick look at its specs suggests it may be the limiting factors with extended range floor standers and perhaps stand mounts/small floor standers coupled with a decent little analog sub (Rel for eg) may be much better.

Last edited:
Perhaps wrong statements by me.. But I am just not sure this speakers well give enough oomph to bass, epically the bass.

Dance music needs speakers which are not muddy sounding, but lighting fast bass response.

Bass you can feel in your chest. Oberon 9 certainly does this. Then OP is probably not going to buy this speakers.

If OP wishes to buy the above speakers, then MA speakers probably are better.

At least Bronze 500.

Just remember I was Eminem fan in the early 2000’s. All of the speakers I’ve tried didn’t give enough drive in the bass, but perfect for jazz, acoustic music, pop.

This were similar speakers mentioned above.

Subwoofers, if my memory serves right, was not so popular in the hifi community then.

If you're shortlisting the MA Bronze then Im assuming you have increased your budget. There are other better options for similar money to the bronze 200/500. Eg the MA Silver 200 6g are £599 - £649 brand new, these are a level up and better than the bronze. The silver 300 6g are better speakers than the bronze 500 and can be bought for £749 - £799, but the silvers will need a better amp to get the most out of them.

There is also the larger 3 way Mission lx6 mark 2 and other speakers for similar money to the bronze 200/500.

If you're shortlisting the MA Bronze then Im assuming you have increased your budget. There are other better options for similar money to the bronze 200/500. Eg the MA Silver 200 6g are £599 - £649 brand new, these are a level up and better than the bronze. The silver 300 6g are better speakers than the bronze 500 and can be bought for £749 - £799, but the silvers will need a better amp to get the most out of them.

There is also the larger 3 way Mission lx6 mark 2 and other speakers for similar money to the bronze 200/500.

If determined to keep the amp - MA silver 100 + a sub might be a good option if anyone still has the discounted 6g model.

If determined to keep the amp - MA silver 100 + a sub might be a good option if anyone still has the discounted 6g model
They are huge standmounters and will need to add the cost of quite substantial stands.

Thanks everyone for your help. I will definitely consider everything everyone has said and will take on board the advice. The amp may be letting me down but ill demo some speakers with it and see what happens. Thanks again to everyone

I’m pretty sure that I had that amp back in the 90s or one similar and it drove my 4 ohm Jamo Concert 8s very well. But that was then.

Given that your amp is an elderly gent now , have you thought of something very easy to drive like the Klipsch rp 600-m

Hah, ha.

This with subwoofer...

I feel your pain too. Fortunately I have a pair I'm quite pleased with so I can time my time to find my final upgrade. I am going to try to audition everything I can before making what is hopefully my final speaker upgrade.

there's the new Klipsch rp 600 V2 which seems to be very interesting

Would you say the same of the wharfedales? as they are the ones im edging towards ...
You'll be okay with the Wharfedales. The cheaper of your two choices has the bigger bass drivers, but the more expensive ones are slimmer, if that's a consideration.

Buy from a dealer who is willing to change them if you don't get on with them.

Although it seems a few have recommended what to go for, I would say that a 2.1 system using a subwoofer which uses a high level input (runs in tandem with the speakers and not an LFE or Line-in). The reason behind this is no speakers can really hit those ultra low notes that some artists bring and some speakers can be a little sluggish is they don't have the power either as good quality dance music is a very dynamic genre and requires as much control as some of the most difficult classical music as the levels can be equally as complex from the best artist. Yes you can get some poor recordings, but that's the same with any genre of music

My suggestion would be to audition a pair at home or in a demo room and take some of your most complex dance music. The Prodigy's Jilted for the Generation Break and Enter is a track that is immensely quick when played on a good quality system where as it can sound a little lethargic on a lesser quality system. Chicane (almost anything from them has a sense of depth that is melodica yet it still needs control as the sound lows like Jean-Michel Jarre). So, I would try and listen to some speakers.

How they interact with your ears will also depend upon the room and again, the amp to truly hear Dance music at its best without annoying the neighbours or shaking the room needs be of a high calibre and then you'll actually hear how many layers some of these artist actually bring to their work

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom