Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Too many sources! Upgrade suggestions for a Denon 3802?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Andy.T, Mar 28, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Hi there,

Last year I replaced my Yamaha DSP-A2 with a Denon 3802 and was pleased with the improved performance with music that this gave.

However in the last year or so I have gotten a lot more sources and a Panny AE100 projector.

I am looking for a new amp/receiver that will sound as good with music (and obviously Home Cinema stuff) as the 3802 but with more than 2 switchable Component Inputs. It doesn't need to be the most up to date piece of kit but it should have....

- 3 or ideally 4 Component inputs (ideally ones that I can assign to any source - so that I don't need to call my Gamecube source "TV" or whatever)

- Optical inputs that can be assigned to any source

Btw the sources are...

Arcam DV88 Plus DVD Player
    Sky box (I'm looking to get an RGB to Component converter)
    Gamecube
    Playstation 2

Or is there some kind of auto switchbox that I could use to do the same job?

2. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,824
    The newer 3803 has assignable Component Inputs but still only two of them. The A1SR, A1SE and A11SR all have three sets of Component Inputs but they are fixed.

The Digital Inputs of the A1SR and A1SE (incl. the upgraded model) and A11SR can all be assigned. The A1SR/A1SE (upgraded) has five coaxial and six optical inputs, the A11SR has three coaxial and five optical. The standard A1SE has three coaxial and six optical inputs.

3. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Thanks a lot for the reply, any ideas regarding other manufacturers? Harmon/Kardon, NAD etc?

4. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,824
    Not too sure about the Harmon Kardon range but the AVR8000 has three sets of Component Inputs (fixed) as well as three coaxial and three optical inputs, assignable by the looks of it. Back Panel HERE

Don´t know the NAD range at all I´m afraid. Not heard any of them.

5. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,824
    Pioneers AX10 has three sets of Component Inputs (assignable) as well as four coaxial and four optical inputs (all assignable).

Quick check of the Nad stuff (bored at work!) and the 762 has three sets of Component Inputs (not clear if they are assignable) and four coaxial and two optical inputs (assignable). The 752 has only two Component Inputs but the same amount of digital inputs as the 762.

6. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Wow, thanks a lot for taking the time to post all that info. It looks as though what I'd ideally like (4 assignable Component inputs on a nice amp) is just not available. Or if it is its probably on some rediculously high end kit. :(

I'll do some searching for Component switchboxes.

Thanks again,

7. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, the AVR8000 has a real wierd rear panel, seperating the in/out audio connections is strange especially for vcr's since most of the connections are made on scart-6phono leads and how about the speaker connects? Is there a seperate power amp for left/right channels. I may give it a miss.

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    The Rotel RSP1098 will have 4 assignable component inputs IIRC - but thats a processor so you'd also need some power amps.

Vikki

9. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Wow that Rotel would be perfect, I'm betting the screen will bump the price up beyond my means though. :(

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,039
    Key Digital do a 4 in 1 out IR controlled switcher. It has inputs and outputs for Y, Pr, Pb, AnalogueRIGHT, AnalogueLEFT and PCM DIGITAL. Details are on my site.

Gordon

11. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Gordon, thanks for that, that looks the biz. After doing a bit of scouring on the net and these forums I also found the RGB4X-R. Which without the remote (I could just download the control file for my Pronto) would be 157 US Dollars. I've yet to hear back from them about Postage and Packing and I could get stung for customs too.

Obviously that one is only doing Component video switching not analogue audio or anything else. Would it be technically inferior though?

I don't understand the stuff about bandwidth, their's is "greater than 230 Mhz" and the KDS says "3 db at 140 MHz". What do these figures mean? Does higher bandwidth mean higher fidelity/accuracy of signal?