Answered Too Many Remakes/ Reboots?

sebbykin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Felt as unconnected with that trailer as I did with the Ben Hur one.
That's a fair comment, from "The Magnificent Seven" thread, with the plethora of remakes/reboots it all does get a little bit meh.
I suppose the studios know a remake will probably make money if they don't go stupid on the budget as they can sell it ( whether cinema or home) on the back of the reputation of the original.
I know there have always been remakes etc. but, is it me or is there a lot more nowadays, turning the medium into something like a stack' em high, sell 'em cheap situation.

Like all the Abbot and Costello films, Dracula etc.?
Always happened.

Yes there's always been film series like Frankenstein, Dracula, Abbot And Costello, etc but that was in the days before tv. There were many Saint films before the first Roger Moore tv series. I've got nothing against a good sequel but reboots like Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four drive me nuts. Of course you have to remember that the original Magnificent Seven was a remake. I enjoyed the Battle Beyond the Stars remake of it too.

Bri

Very good points.

Not worried, there are hundreds of films not based on a previous title that are not very good, originality is not always a sure fire guarantee for a great film.

Thank god for the new Star Wars films ,& spin offs

It's all good

I'm not crazy about this remake business sometimes depending on how much I loved the original film (The Wicker Man! Jacob's Ladder! Ghostbusters!), and I have mixed feelings sometimes about a remake of a film that's 50 years old that was originally a remake itself, but hate that business of rebooting a franchise that's only new to begin with, the same old origin story zzzz.

You only need to look at the awards seasons and rarely the films people are complaining about being remade or rebooted will feature on the awards lists

Like all the Abbot and Costello films, Dracula etc.?
Always happened.
Agree its always happened but there seems such a lot lately. Some good, Texas Chainsaw Massacre was well done. Some bad, Spiderman, why?
There's so many in the pipeline at the moment as stated above
IMO Abbott & Costello were more like homages, or based on popular films at the time.
Dracula is a good point although those were based on a classic novel and each has a different slant / style for the characters not like for like remakes that we seem to have now.

Not worried, there are hundreds of films not based on a previous title that are not very good, originality is not always a sure fire guarantee for a great film.

Thank god for the new Star Wars films ,& spin offs

It's all good
Originality in a good film makes it something special though

I honestly don't care if films are remade or rebooted. If I like the original enough then it's no skin off my nose and I won't seek out the new version. I wonder if people who get so hot and bothered about them are more upset that the originals can get overlooked by newer generations of movie goers.

Sebby has a good point about about originality, it can happen in remakes.

The aim of any film is to be entertaining and, to be honest, as long as I'm entertained it doesn't really matter to me if the film's 100% original or a remake/reboot/reimagining. If I don't enjoy it the whole question of whether it's a remake or not becomes redundant. Remakes don't overwrite the original, they're still around for anyone that wants to watch them. If a story inspires someone to want to retell it, I don't see that as a bad thing. It's the way creativity has worked since the beginning.
Getting upset about a remake of a film you like before it's even been made seems a bit daft, to me. The level of anger always seems a bit dispropotionate. I mean, it's not like your Mrs threw out your favourite comfy armchair and replaced it with a beanbag. There's a beanbag in the room, yes, but you can always step over it and sit in your chair.
I don't think it's necessarily the case of there being too many remakes, I think it's just that the remakes being made can get the focus because it's a remake of something that's been popular before. It's easier to get someone's attention if you already know they have a taste for it

Funnily enough, saw The Jungle Book this afternoon. Loved it, 8/10 from me, didn't fancy it until I saw the trailer before Force Awakens.
20 odd years since I've seen the original with the kids and 35+ since seeing it at the cinema, so that might help:)
It's not a case of disliking remakes it's just a case of IMO, overkill.

I honestly don't care if films are remade or rebooted. If I like the original enough then it's no skin off my nose and I won't seek out the new version.

I note what you mean but when I see a trailer for something like Ghostbuster-esses, I gotta think that all that money might have been better spent on something good. OK I know the film hasn't been released yet but..yowzer it looks rotten.

The aim of any film is to be entertaining and, to be honest, as long as I'm entertained it doesn't really matter to me if the film's 100% original or a remake/reboot/reimagining. If I don't enjoy it the whole question of whether it's a remake or not becomes redundant. Remakes don't overwrite the original, they're still around for anyone that wants to watch them. If a story inspires someone to want to retell it, I don't see that as a bad thing. It's the way creativity has worked since the beginning.
Getting upset about a remake of a film you like before it's even been made seems a bit daft, to me. The level of anger always seems a bit dispropotionate. I mean, it's not like your Mrs threw out your favourite comfy armchair and replaced it with a beanbag. There's a beanbag in the room, yes, but you can always step over it and sit in your chair.
I don't think it's necessarily the case of there being too many remakes, I think it's just that the remakes being made can get the focus because it's a remake of something that's been popular before. It's easier to get someone's attention if you already know they have a taste for it

What a superb post. Good points well made.

I am enjoying this thread, different viewpoints and constructive attitude.

I am definitely guilty of thinking why the bloody hell are they rebooting that already or you can't remake that, it's sacrilege. But I don't get out my internet pen of rage. I get over it pretty quickly and can't put it any better than Rambo.

There are a few films I'd love to see remade. Dune springs instantly to mind and I really like the original.

Wow, words like anger, sacrilege, upset and, my favourite, internet pen of rage. I don’t think it goes that far…:). Just a little bit meh...

Remake or not if it’s something I fancy seeing then not a problem.

TB not so H, I think the original Star Wars is due for a remake:devil::)

I am definitely guilty of thinking why the bloody hell are they rebooting that already or you can't remake that, it's sacrilege. But I don't get out my internet pen of rage. I get over it pretty quickly and can't put it any better than Rambo.

There are a few films I'd love to see remade. Dune springs instantly to mind and I really like the original.

Definitely. That's a good example of a superb film that could nevertheless stand an alternative take on the source material.

And i'm sure that the new generation of film goers may even think it's an original!
I had the unfortunate instance of watching Point Break the other weekend (some great 3D scenes apart). Now the original is one of my guilty pleasures and used to watch and re-watch it during my early teenage years so it was a real disappointment to me.
My Wife however had never seen the original and she thought it was very good o_O

Like those above, i have no issues with re-makes and will watch it even though i know how it's going to end. I just hope that it's a decent flick.

From memory the re-make that i enjoyed was Let The Right One In and that was only a year or so after the original.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom