• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Too many opticals connections

BigBrisy

Hi folks

Looking for a cheap solution to my little problem i have, basically i have a Samsung Plasma and Home Cinema System, i also have a HTPC, Xbox 360 and just got a PS3 yesterday, the Home Cinema System only has 1 optical input so i am having to use a 2 way splitter with feeds coming from the Xbox 360 and the HTPC but now i am also wanting to use the optical connection from the PS3 too, basically i'm looking for a cheap solution to this, bearing in mind as i'm a lazy git i dont wanna have to get off my bum to flip any switches so on...:D

Any pointers would be great.:lease:

BigBrisy

Thats about as cheap an option as i'm gonna get by the looks of it, suppose it'll look the part too sitting under the 360. Will keep my eye open for other choices too .

Cheers m8

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello BigBrisy

Optical switching is one of those things everyone assumes should be simple/low-cost - though often you'll find the lowest cost gear is far from reliable.

I'd confirm with Joytech that the unit linked to will work as an 'Optical Only' switch - plenty of similar designs wont and require you have a video signal before the switch will select an Input.

The AA 1177A is possibly your Best option - though its not so wallet friendly; see http://www.audioauthority.com/product_details/1177A/Digital_Audio/5/1

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom