Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Too many games!!!

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Sinzer, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Interesting to see an article in Edge magazine talking about the Christmas rush......... I totally agreed with it, there are simply too many games coming out at christmas that it is leaving with too little time to play them.

Currently I am trying to play the following :-

F-Zero GX (left on the side at the mo, but I want to dig it out and complete more of the levels)
    Soul Caliber II (See F-Zero)
    Viewtiful Joe - This is getting a little playtime.
    Final Fantasy Tactics - This is getting daily playtime, thank god for the train.
    UFO:Aftermath - This is funny, game is a little unpolished but captures enough of the old X-Com spirit. Gets a little playtime each day.
    Halo - I want to complete this game properly, even though it is getting very little playtime.
    Homeworld 2 - Had to leave this one out of the CD-ROM drive for a while, due to Halo and UFO.
    Savage - Cannot find the time to play although I want to.
    X-Wing Vs Tie - Yes very retro, but me and my mate love playing it (Shot down every last wookie loving one of them!)

I don't think I can cope as I am soon to receive :-

Mario Kart DD
    Final Fantasy XI - If I get addicted to this it will be bye bye life!
    Fire Emblem GBA

Plus I want to purchase/play Max Payne 2, Call of Duty, Mario Golf, Doom III.

Where am I gonna find the time this christmas!!!! Good job I got two weeks off, although some of that time may used for some R&R in Amsterdam :devil:

2. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you mean. I just ordered NFL2K4, which I expect will take up most of my free time at Xmas.

Add in a bunch of great DVDs being released and we're just spoiled for choice. I might have to ditch a few tertiary friends to make time for games and movies. :laugh:

3. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,134
    You're absolutely right.

My main problem is that I'm addicted to Planetside. Its not just that I'm enjoying it, and want to progress through the BattleRanks. Because I pay the monthly fee, I feel obligated to play it, to the exclusion of other games.

I've been selling loads of my old games on EBay recently, and re-investing the proceeds into others.

Hanging around waiting to be played are :
    - Freelancer
    - Elite Force 2
    - Knights Of The Old Republic
    - Burnout 2
    - Midtown Madness 3
    - Panzer Dragoon Orta
    - Devil May Cry
    - GT 3 A Spec
    - Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution
    - Final Fantasy X

And Max Payne 2 should arrive today.

Damn that Planetside! :zonked:

4. Toole

Toole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm glad everyone else is feeling the pinch at the moment, too ;)

It's got to a point where I'm spending about £140 every couple of weeks on games with absolutely no sign of respite in the near future - I'll actually be glad when January comes and the games industry goes all quiet again for a while. I'll still be catching up on games I've missed well into next year anyway, so it won't stop me spending! :)

Scary thing is, although we've got all the next gen consoles in the house, I find I hardly ever buy PS2 or X-Box titles recently - it's nearly all PC, Gamecube or GBA games that are sucking my wallet dry. No bad thing though, the GBA has had a real wealth of great games out this past year since the SP came out, and I'm beginning to think that the Gamecube, regardless of poor market sales is by far and away the best console on the market when it comes to sheer quality and variety of games at the minute. Unlike the PS2 which mainly saturates the game shelves with third rate rubbish, going for quantity over quality (although to be fair there's still some timeless classics on the PS2 that make me glad I bought one) and the X-Box which, aside from being the choice of consoles for the multi-format titles is still pretty overshadowed by a half-decent PC and loses out to my PC everytime when a game is released on both platforms. The Gamecube has a slow but very steady stream of CLASSIC exclusives that put so many people off with their soft image but have gameplay in bucket loads - and Nintendo are pushing the 4 player element of their games to the limit recently: the 'Cube in our house is the only choice when we have a house full of people. The X-Box has a couple of good 4 player games, of course, but it's just so much easier to turn the GC on and have so many more party games at your disposal that everybody can play. Even my mate's girlfriend, who's really NOT into games, will quite happily sit and play Super Monkey Ball 2, or Mario Party 4 or even Bomberman (she draws the line at Smash Bros though), but wouldn't touch Halo with a barge-pole - it's the FUN factor. It's not about how cool a game looks, or what amazing features it has over other games, it's how much FUN you can have while playing - and the GC is constantly impressing me on this front recently.

I'd even go as far as to say that the GC's catalogue of classics is even better than the Dreamcast's - and could possibly even rival the SNES by this time next year for unmissable games.

Yeah, I know I sound like a fanboy, but I can see why Nintendo have their share of fanboys recently :D

Still, I'd definately go as far as saying that this year (especially the run-up to Christmas) is a great year for good games on all formats - and I know that all of you, like me, aren't going to have 2 pennies to rub together by February next year, but I bet you won't give a damn cuz you'll all be far too busy getting a good gaming fix to care ;)

P.S. - sorry for the above ranting. I'm fine again now, honestly :zonked:

5. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Its crazy I agree, but its why I take off 23rd to 3rd at chrimbo time :D :D

ALthough this year I think the Xbox is going to be the winner of the xmas console gaming prize, the number of key titles coming out is sick!

Neil.

6. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It's terrible, I'm at the can't upgrade my pc any more, I need a new one stage. All that money.... Most of the new games won't be able to run on my computer. Thankfully Jedi Academy runs fine but I don't think Max Payne 2 will :(

In the mean time I think I'll drag out a few of my older games. Having played Jedi Academy to death (all difficulties except padewan) both good and evil with various lightsaber types have installed Freelancer. Now if only I can get the thing to stop crashing at the end of the first mission.
    Am about midway through my list of "things-to-stop-games-crashing".

I would just go and get another console instead but I'm waiting for the next gen of consoles.