1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too many dvds?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Rob20, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +663
    It's been pointed out to me by a couple of people now that they can't understand why I have so many dvd's, and why I keep buying more. I must have 150+ dvd's, 20+ box sets etc. I'd never really thought about it. However, as I'm always buying new dvd's, I rarely watch any of the older ones. If that's the case then maybe it makes more sense to rent?

What do people think. is there an optimum number of dvd's to own? Can you have too many?

2. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    theres a godd dvd rental service from love film check out there faq and deals etc www.lovefilm.com, if you think you have too many you could also always sell them im sure theres lots of people that would be intrested in some of your dvd's if there gooduns that is :D :p

3. jian

jian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    If you are buying the DVD becuase you like the film, No. if you are buying the DVd for the sake of buying the DVD, Yes.

I watch all the DVDs that I buy, with perhaps a couple that I have not viewed. I also only buy the films that i really like or haven't seen before. As such, i only have about 70 or so.

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I own over 700 DVD's and that number is going up weekly so i do have problems sometimes decideing what to watch :D

John :)

5. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I own over 701 :p

:laugh:

6. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dam it :laugh:

7. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Well its 502 now. And Movietyme have had the best part of £20k off me :eek:

I am seriously running out of space :rolleyes:

8. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jack i have given up counting now and running out of space too..haveing to keep getting bigger bookcases.
    I like your DVD link in your sig :cool: it must of taken ages to do.

9. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    i have over 500 but haven't counted in a while, personally i collect the dvd's cos i like having an impressive collection. some people collect stamps, i collect dvd's. obviously i like to watch them as well as look at them though!

10. lazarus

lazarus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    not the biggest around :blush: but i'm approaching a 1000 :eek:

11. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Got 530+ DVDs, i have never rented a dvd before cos they are rip off prices on the high street. Only problem is that i am running out of space in my cupboard for the DVD cases (i keep all the discs in Case Logic Wallets)

12. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now that's just plain greedy :laugh:

13. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Its DVD Profiler its free and dead easy to use. I have done it for insurance purposes :)

14. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Over a 1000 and still growing :) Why worry what other people think?

15. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Jack i will give it a go :smashin: , it'll probably take me ages :rolleyes:
    Good idea though for insurance purposes, it's alot of money on DVD's.

16. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Most of my DVDs are movies that I want to keep, films that best suite and describe my character. Something of a legacy :rolleyes: that I want to leave to my children so that they might better understand me!

Being a format such as DVD, my children and their children will be able to enjoy them too without any loss of quality.

There is one thing though, what are we going to do when DVD is replaced by a newer better format like Blu Ray or HDDVD?

Same thing that happened to our Video collections?

:offtopic:

On a different note, Yesterday I saw Aliens on HDTV in Japan and was impressed with the quality, and even though it is an older movie it looked good in Hi Def.
    Does this mean im going to have to reebuy my Alien box set when it comes out as Hi def?

Even though Aliens looked good, i felt it doesnt really take advantage of hi def so i think it will be up to movies that are filmed using hi def equipment, otherwise there may not be that much difference between the DVD version of an older movie and the Hi def, bluray or hd-dvd version.

So it may not be necesary to reebuy all our DVDs!

17. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,349
    Sorry to say but it will. Does anyone with a passion for their movies and especially audio/video still have a working VCR? Or videos? Or even laserdiscs if that was your thing? Very few.

DVD will die just like everything before it has, as it's superceded. I lost £000's on my laserdisc collection, and for that reason I've moved onto a monthly DVD rental scheme which offers me far better value for money, without leaving me with a pile of worthless clutter.

I DO understand why people collect DVDs and wouldn't knock it, but for me I've lost all that money previously and don't wish to do that again. And the big difference between collecting stamps and DVDs is (aside from collecting stamps being boring) that stamps gain in value over time, whereas DVDs don't. On the 2nd hand market prices for DVDs are already ridiculously low, and DVD is in it's prime...imagine in 3-5 years time. They'll be worthless...

18. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like we'll all be knocking them off down boot fairs soon then if Blu Ray or HD-DVD takes off :D

19. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    I understand why someone would rent rather than buy. But for those of us who do want to buy and build up a collection, for whatever reason, when should we start buying?

Is it better to wait for Bluray or HD DVD, or will those formats also become obsolete in the future?

What will come after these yet to be released formats?

And what quality is "good enough" to make it worth starting a collection?

We all realise that as good as the DVD format is, it does have its flaws. So what format will be flawless?

Or does any of this matter?

Even if DVD becomes obsolete.
    As long as you have your disks and a player to play them on, you can enjoy watching them forever.

20. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,349
    Doesn't work like that though does it? Bet you don't watch VHS...

When it comes to media there's no such thing as "forever", by our nature we always want the next best thing...

21. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Definition DVD's will only take off in the UK when everyone is able to afford Hi Definition displays as most people ( the average consumer ) are very happy with conventional DVD, it will be a niche market for many years.

On another note someone mentioned only films shot on Hi Def will take advantage of the new format, not true as film stock based movies have roughly 4 times the resolution of Hi Definition DVD therefore if new masters are struck it means every film can look much better or has the potential to look much better.

22. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,349
    Agreed, with DVD most people didn't need to change their TVs, for Hi-Def there needs to be a massive buying shift in Hi-Def capable displays:)

23. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Yes but DVD is a very stable format.. as it is ubiquitous and popularity is high they will be around for ages.. laserdisc was a transistional technology/format that never really caught on hence faded and died. Obviously better things will come but for most DVD will be primary video choice for years, just like CD is today even with SACD/DVD-A trying to dominate.

24. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally agree with you DVD is a fomat that will be around for many years to come and not everyone can afford to go HD, i think it will obviously do well to certain groups who want to invest but for a majority of people it may be out of there reach for some time.
    I can't wait for new formats to come out and give them a try though but i don't see me getting rid of my DVD's for quite some time yet.

25. Kaotician

Kaotician

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I read a survey somewhere that stated that 40% of the UK DVD player market is made up of machines costing £50 or less, 50% made up of machines costing £120 or less, and the other 10% covering everything £120 +. That doesn't look to me like the kind of buying demographic that's going to see HD spinoffs like Blu-Ray really take off - at least not for a few years, or until the TV sets are well under £1000...........so I'm confident that my 400+ collection is going to survive a good while longer yet - as of course is the format. Basically, no studio in its right mind is going to discard 90% of its market in the near future. :lesson:

26. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    VCR is alive and well, watch videos like Manon de Source or something i haven't bothered to buy on DVD, so if you want it to of course it works.
    I also still have laser disc player and occasionally watch the good old original star wars discs on it.
    I wouldn't say i've lost any money because i've watched any one of my videos many times and if i want i can watch them many times again, even if you get rid of your VCR you could still transfer them to DVD-r, albeit with a loss of 60p on every film for the blank disc.

One mans clutter is another mans treasure.....

27. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,945
    The only dvds which go up in price are the Japanese R2 limited editions like armageddon, terminator ultimate etc...

These in my mind are a good investment, you still see dts laserdiscs going for £100+ on ebay.

28. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

Well, for what it's worth, I only have about 100 DVD's. However, my VHS collection is still in excess of 500 physical tapes. (All stuff I've recorded off of TV, over the past 10-12 years or so, e.g. complete series of TV shows like "Magnum PI", "Karaoke/Cold Lazarus" - the Dennis Potter series, "Law And Order: Special Victims Unit", and hundreds of movies - some rare and obscure stuff, as well as more mainstream titles! My pre-recorded stuff has all been sold, with the odd exception of stuff not out on DVD.)

As long as someone is using any technology, no matter how old or new it is, it's still valid. I use my VCR every day of the week, practically, to record stuff to watch later-on, when it's more convenient. (I don't yet own a DVD-recorder, as I don't have the money for one yet.)

If we all hesitated with buying new technology, to build-up our collections, we'd never ever have a collection. I think it's fairly safe to say, that all technology is going to be redundant (to a greater or lesser degree), as soon as it is made publicly available. There will always be something better out there, in development.

Personally speaking, I think DVD is great, and even if/when Blu-Ray and other superior formats come to be made available at a reasonable price, I still won't regret getting into DVD-collecting! And anyway, who's to say that Blu-Ray or whatever other future formats become available, don't fall flat on their faces for one reason or another?! Just like Betamax did!

Pooch

29. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
  30. bom bom

bom bom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Going back to the original question is it worth buying DVDs for a collection? I think so because if you have a fair collection you can watch what you like, when you like. You can't do that with rentals (not without going down the shop first, or with internet rentals you are never sure which DVD is coming).

I reckon I've got about 250 DVDs plus maybe 20 TV box sets. My ever-growing collection may not have the same value if I wanted to sell them on, even now. However, every time I watch a film, music DVD, stand-up comedy DVD or TV episode I'm getting value for money and as long as can play them they still have value to me.

Yes the next generation is just around the corner but with the competing format will either of them be the next mainstream technological jump for movies and TV? As was said before unless TV prices dropped drastically and the take up for high definition TV's becomes huge DVDs will reign supreme probably for the next decade like VHS before it.Blu ray/HD DVD will probably turn out to be the next laser disc anyway, exstinct. I wouldn't mind betting that the technology after Blu ray/HD DVD is the mainstream replacement for DVD because the mass public aren't going upgrade every few years on a whim.

I personally won't consider getting the next generation of high definition players until it's mainstream and the price has dropped substantially, also assuming one format wins out because there's no point choosing one format if you can't get the films you want on that format.is there?