1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too many different formats? MP3 vs WMA vs ATRAC vs etc

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by figoagogo, Apr 10, 2005.

1. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    Hi

Any one else starting to get confused by all these formats and annoyed by the lack of compatibility between them and hardware?

I now have a Sony PSP and will use it for music (previously Sony NETMD) - it will take MP3, but not WMA, and it will only use ATRAC on a non-Pro memory stick.

I have also just ordered a cheapo small MP3 player for the missus that will take WMA and MP3 but not ATRAC. I like the look of the IPOD SHUFFLE but didn't want another music format on my PC!

For some reason I have ripped all my CD in the WMA format on to my PC in the last couple of months, and any music I have downloaded via the WWW is in MP3 format.

So now I am not sure what to do - I needs to take some tunes on holiday. I will fill up a 256MB memory stick (PSP) and a 256MB MP3 player. But I am stumped as to which route to take - MP3, ATRAC or WMA or a mixutre of all of these with the risk of duplicating tunes on my PC.

I guess MP3 is the "most comptable format" but from what I have read is not as efficient as WMA and ATRAC in compression, sound quality and it seems also battery life :eek:

Hmmmm - would you prefer a standard format (monopoly) or do you like the choice thats out there? IMO its getting to much and I fear video will be next :suicide:

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    I agree, it's a bit of a farce. If only Apple & Sony allowed the use of WMA it'd make things a lot easier. I think it's stupid that Sony and Apple are intent on pushing formats that can only be used on their machines. Apple have AAC; Sony have ATRAC.

I download using MP3 not because I think it is the best format but it has compatability across all players. I don't want to rip my entire collection to one format and then have to do it again if I decide to buy a new player. :suicide:

3. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    Well WMA is Microsofts format, and I doubt Apple or Sony would use their competitors format?

I would go all MP3, but from what I read and understand, ATRAC, WMA, AAC etc are more efficient - afterall MP3 is quite an old format. I am also confused when music capcity is quoted by websites etc - it seems you can get twice as much WMA tunes than MP3 tunes on a player :confused: Any ideas what is the best size/quality ratio I can go with on WMA on a portable device? All my ripped CDs are at 160kbs (WMA), some of my MP3s go as low as 112kbs, mostly 128kbs and 192kbs - I regret my lack of consistency :suicide:

4. wizdom75

wizdom75
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I would recommend OGG Vorbis, it is free, morden and as efficient as WMA which is the most efficient format at the moment. I am sure in a few months time this will replace the accomplished but now outdated MP3 - it was written in 1989 - as the de facto standard.

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    But isn’t there still the problem that many players don’t support OGG?

6. wizdom75

wizdom75
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the mean time use MP3 and WMA

7. jimmy_b

jimmy_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FWIW I don't see the point in using any lossy codec as standards are still evolving and with the price of hard disks coming down rapidly, storing all your songs in a lossless format is now possible.

I would hate to record all my CDs as MP3 only to discover another format wins over at some time in the future and I would have to recopy all my CDs. I use lossless WMA format because that way I can always get back to the original WAV file if I need to at any time in the future.

You can now get a terabyte of storage for ~£500. That's enough storage for about 3000 cds in lossless wma.