1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too many connections = Bad Sky Sound

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by ronancoll, Sep 8, 2003.

1. ronancoll

ronancoll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please bare with me on this problem, it has me stumped?

I have a fairly extensive AV set-up and like to keep them all connected so I have good flexibility when watching and listening from various sources. SO..

All my audio sources (Tuner, SKY, stereo pre-out from DVD - cd playback and video) are all inputted to my stereo Arcam A85 Amp. I can get the best stereo sound this way.

For DD/DTS and pro logic sources I have a Yam DSP-A5. My DVD electrical coax and TV pre-out (for SKY and Video both of which are scarted into the TV AV2 and AV3) are connected to this.

my multi channel amp is connected to my stereo via its main pre-out into the processor in on the arcam.

Now for the problem...
    When listening to SKY through the arcam.. everything OK
    When listening to sky through the Yamaha (into TV via scart and into the Yam from TVs audio Pre-outs).. everything OK

But

If I have all the amps switched off and listen to sky using the TV speakers (sound in via scart on digibox) the sound is distorted, sound l little like the incoming signal has too high a signal strength. I tried adjusting the preout in the sky software, no result.

When I unplug the Phono leads that were connecting the digibox and the STEREO amp the distortion stops and Sky sound fine through the TV speakers.

I just cant make sense of it....Any ideas. but don’t stop using your stereo amp for sky sound duties, because most broadcasts are stereo or mono and the Arcam sounds soo much better than the Yamaha

2. pentode

pentode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yup, had exactly the same problem with my DSP-A5

Have a look at this thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82863

The only solution I found was to put resistors (4.7k ohm if i remember correctly) in the phono leads (analogue stereo out)from the back of the Sky box.

I've since ugraded to a Marantz SR5300 & it doesn't have this problem

3. ronancoll

ronancoll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply

I will borrow my brothers marantz 4200 and see if the problem continues