Too many choices!!!

immyh

Established Member
Reaction score
ok basically i have an old 720p panasonic plasma which only has vga and component inputs. I have recently bought a new graphics card for my pc which has dvi output.

So what do i do? i can buy either a dvi to component cable or a dvi to vga cable. which is best or are they both identical.

Ive heard vga gives u sharper crisper static image like when you want to surf and component gives you a better hd image for movies and less hassle with resolutions.

PLease HELP.

Thanks in advance

cheers

May want to check exactly what signals your plasma will accept from those inputs before deciding what to do.

DVI-I to VGA is trivial but the panel may not accept a resolution that gives you an acceptable image.

DVI-I to component is not as simple as getting a cable as there can be sync issues to resolve and the component inputs may not like the frequency range of your PC signal either.

thanks for your reply i guess then can i ask if everything is wokring fine on both options which would produce the best picture for hd movies

Can't really give a straight answer to that one without knowing which resolutions your panel is going to be able to display.

Both are essentially delivering the same RGB data but how well the panel displays them will determine which is the best choice for you

my screen is a TH-42PW4 and has a resolution of 852x480 hope that helps

Have a read through your manual there is one here if you don't have it to hand : http://support.panasonic.co.nz/docstore/TH42PW4AZ book.pdf

The good news is you can use a relatively common cable from your PC which is a VGA to 5xBNC often called a VGA breakout cable. You will need BNC -> RCA adapters as well for the TV end.

You may or may not be able to get one that is DVI to 5xBNC but if not then DVI-I to VGA is easy to find.

Also you will see in the manual that your display supports PC signals in the following way :

'The display resolution is a maximum 640 × 480 dots when the aspect mode is set to “4:3”, and 852 × 480 dots when the aspect mode is set to “16:9”. If the display resolution exceeds these maximums, it may not be possible to show fine detail with sufficient clarity.'

So now you need to see if your graphics card can output 852x480 and if not do a little searching to see if there is a way to add that as a customer resolution.

cool thanks for your help and the link i havent seen that before. Ok so im guessing that i should really avoid dvi to component option?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom