Too Many Achievements In Games!!!

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by MANGABOY, Mar 16, 2006.

1. MANGABOY

MANGABOY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Have you noticed how in recent games developers are assigning way too many achievements, like 36 just for one game. Whats the point of this? Its ruining the whole concept. Stop It!

1000 gamerpoints split over all these achievements means we are now gettin some worth just a pointless 5 gamerpoints. Wowwww. Take Burnout Revenge for example just released, theres a 36-38 achievement list and if you complete the whole game on perfect you get... an amazing... 35 gamerpoints!
    A fair reward for days of play I think:rolleyes: Just like scoring 1000 takedowns and getting a staggerin 25 gamerpoints!!!

I just seen the Far Cry list and it looks like its going the same way. I understand that the more acheivements there are, the more chance peeps will obtain them, but why dilute them so much. I mean half of them are so stupid. On Burnout theres one acheivement for gettin one of you recorded clips into the top 20 downloaded in the whole world, how many of us are actually gona acheive that!?

Developers need to limit the number of acheivements and keep them simple. The ones for Call Of Duty were perfect. Straightforward and could be attained by everybody.

Obviously at the end of the day acheivements and gamer points dont really mean anything but they do add to the enjoyment and longevity of a game and give you something to aim for. Just sick of doing a mission or doing something good in game and gettin a lousy 10 gamerpoints :nono:

2. DIRY

DIRY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Initially? - About 20? ;) :D
    (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

good point tho :)

(Said he, still trying to find time to actually earn any at all....:oops: )

3. michaelT1888

michaelT1888
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    go and play all the easy sport games if you cant achieve 1000 points that way. Madden 06 gives you 400 points for something, go play it!!!!!!!

IMO it is more of a challenge having lots of achievements that are difficault to obtain, rather than playing fight night for 3 hours and getting 1000!!!

4. kevlar

kevlar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    GRAW has the worst implimentation of achievements I've seen so far, it's like they couldn't give a toss about it. Just look at some of the multiplayer achievements, there are 4 co-op campaign levels, complete each to get 8,8,8 & 2 points! wtf? and then they are 75 points short of the 1000!!. Host 1000 multiplayer games? and all for just 24 points? I'd be surprised if anyone is interested in one game long enough to play in 1000 games let alone host them. Play for 8 hours straight! give me a break! ( everyone says you should take a break every 2 or 3 hours to avoid fatigure! ). On the positive side I like the way they hand out achievements during the single player campaign.

5. norm

norm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Please say that's sarcastic remark.

Not awarding a player the normal mission complete achievement having earned the hard is silly as can be.

Let's not forget the absolutely ABSURD idea by Ubisoft to include cheat codes in the game also.

6. MANGABOY

MANGABOY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Ok then I'll stop havin sex and gettin ****** in the weekend until i get my host 1000 online games Master Of Ceremonies GRAW acheivement. C ya guys in couple of years when its done. Wish me luck....:thumbsup:

7. michaelT1888

michaelT1888
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    so you would like to spend £50 and complete a game within 3 hours, ok if thats what you like then so be it

8. norm

norm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    To get the master of ceremony achievement shouldn't take that long if you start a local multiplayer game on the machine a 1000 times starting and exiting etc.

9. michaelT1888

michaelT1888
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You get an additional 40 points if you complete all the co-op missions(only if you have done every objective on each) so that mean you get 66 points for them all, and they are quite easy.

10. MANGABOY

MANGABOY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Maybe just a compromise somewhere between the stupidly easiest acheivements like in Fight Night and the some of the ridiculous near impossible ones we been gettin lately and we all be happi :)

11. MANGABOY

MANGABOY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Yes that sounds like fun, i'm off to do that rite now....

12. kevlar

kevlar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    I didn't know that, I played through normal first, playing hard now.

13. kevlar

kevlar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    Is that what ' perfect chapter 1 ' means?, not a very good description. I was wondering wtf that meant.

As for starting and quitting 1000 multiplayer games, as well as rediculous ( I'm guessing you were joking ), imagine going through all that and not getting the achievement because each game has to be completed ( this is how some of PDZ multiplayer achievements work )

14. MonkeyKnuckle

MonkeyKnuckle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +718
    it means you have to do the primary and secondary objectives in all 4 missions

15. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    I much prefer the games with many acheivements. 50 acheivements is perfect. They are to add longetivity and 5-8 acheivements that you get easily isn't the spirt in which they were designed imo at least.

16. Fuey_fu

Fuey_fu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Remember this feature is still in it's infancy. With enough feedback from users I imagine it will get better with time. E.g thinking about achievements when the games are being designed and not added as an afterthought. I was just worried about the poorer games in future giving out easy points as a way to entice purchase.

17. MANGABOY

MANGABOY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I guess peeps have their own preferences when it comes to achievements and gamer points. I personally would prefer to have a max of 10-12 a game which were rock hard and would take days for me to complete so long as I got something worthwhile at the end of it. Getting 10 gamer points just for uploading a clip in Burnout Revenge for example is meaningless to me...

18. TheBiGW

TheBiGW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,508
    Also achievements help you explore parts of the game you wouldn't have tried out otherwise.

19. addyb

addyb
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,295
    Well i gotta say i dont take any interest in the achievement system. Sure its a good idea and it will make certain gamers play the game more but for me i just want a good blast on something. If things get "achieved" in the process then great! I dont play to gain them tho... couldnt give a monkeys if there were 1 achievement or a 100!

20. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I liked the achievements in FN3, I thought it was fairly well balanced considering you have to go through a fair number of fights to get them all (or at least I have). On the other hand NFS: MW is awful. What is it? 10 points for each Blacklist member? Ace. so you do about 10 races or whatever it is you have to do before racing each 'boss' and get a whole 10 points for your trouble.

21. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone please post the Far Cry Preditor Instincts Achievement list if it's available then

22. TheBiGW

TheBiGW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,508
  23. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
  24. Steve-L

Steve-L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    I do hope they've structured this so that if you play it through on the hardest difficulty level you get the other achievements too... I don't mind playing through something twice (if it's good) but any more than that does feel like a bit of a chore... :rolleyes:

25. Steve-L

Steve-L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149

I think they're quite well weighted actually, you will find as you progress up the blacklist and the opponents get tougher, you get more points. Soon you'll get 75 points and when you beat Razor you'll get a whopping 350 :smashin:

26. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    That's right, the first 4 are worth 10 each, the next 6 25, then 75, 85, 100, 200 and finally 300. It was spot on as far as I'm concerned with the achievements rising in value as the challenges became more difficult and time consuming.

I don't have any problem with a large number of achievements in games so long as they're achievable. Things I object to are ones like, getting to number 1 on the Xbox live leaderboard, which is going to be impossible for 99.99% of players. It is especially difficult when a game is released in America first and they've played hundreds of matches before we even get started.

At the other end there are stupid ones too that force you to do something just before the sake of it if you want the achievement. I'm thinking things like in Gotham where there are ones for track designing and watching Gotham TV. It seems like they're just there because the developers have spent time on the feature and they want you to look at it.

27. Steve-L

Steve-L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Yep, they are really annoying if you like to "finish" a game and get all achievements... I know there will be at least 3 (probably 4!) achievements I will never be able to get in GRAW for example... I know in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter, but its a bit like having one sticker missing from your footie sticker album as a kid... it bugs the hell out of you :D

Hmmm, grey area - kind of agree, but as someone said above, they do encourage you to explore bits of a game you might otherwise have overlooked. The PGR track building one is a good example as I initially had a go of this just to get the achievement. However I actually found it quite cool to be able to design you own circuit and then race on it and have used the feature quite a few times since :smashin:

Congrats on beating Razor last night BTW, you've broken the 7k barrier now :smashin:

28. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    I agree that if it's something that helps you get more gameplay value out of a game then it's a good achievement. The PGR one for me was worthless as I had no interest on driving my own tracks when there's so many there anyway. Something like Madden is maybe a better example where you get an achievement for looking at the rosters screen or something silly.[/quote]

Cheers. Razor was actually pretty easy after Bull. I had real trouble getting the last milestone for Bull where I had to cause 200,000 worth of cost to the city. If I didn't manage to accidently lose the police before level 4 I got busted at level 5. A few times I managed to get the necesary score and then got busted on the way to the bus station.

On the subject of need for speed, I was amazed that it let you get all the achievements without finishing the game. Why wasn't there an achievement for the level 6 chase after Razor? It was fun but I've got no incentive to try and do it now.

29. Steve-L

Steve-L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    :rotfl: That and opening the history pages are likely the only achievements I'll get in this game - I haven't got a fracking clue what is going on - the game keeps stopping every few seconds, seems like it wants me to direct my players somewhere... I've tried asking Madden and he just says "this is one of those situations where..." and then starts talking a foreign language... why can't I just pick up the bloody ball and run to the goal! :confused:

Yeah, quite bizarre really, after all the hype and taunts you get from him during the game, when you actually get to race him he drives like an idiot and was easily the weakest of the whole bunch. :rolleyes:

Again, totally bizarre... they obviously ran out of points and couldn't be bothered re-allocating them :confused:

30. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    You said before that you don't watch the sport and have never played the games, so I am not shocked that you're confused. American football is actually a very tactical game and quite complex. Send it back so they can send it to me :D.