Question Too many 55" tv choices help!

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by archman, Dec 6, 2017.

1. archman

archman
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4
      Hi all, i have been reading through the forum for weeks and i know there are loads of questions on this but i still cant decide! I currently have a 12 year old 39" LG and would like to go to 50" - 65" on a budget of £1000. I also have a 10 year old Philips ambilight 49". I understand I am not going to get HDR benefits at this price but i just cannot decide if the Hisense 55N6800 is my best bet or the Sony XE90. Then i think - well if i am not getting HDR why not just go Hisense 55n5700 as its only £500 (i know no major review but Dodgexander thinks spec looks good) Then Dodgexander has not got the Hisense 55N6800 in his mid range best tv guide so that puts me off too!
      I should say i will be sitting about 2 metres away but could be 3 if i swap seats! I will mainly be watching sky HD (football) and netflix plus the xbox one. Please give me your thoughts - if i am going right size and if its worth spending the extra - i keep coming back to the fact most tvs in this range will be similar and a massive upgrade on what i have.
      thanks a mill
      Archman

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,341
      You will benefit from HDR content on both those models, you just get more benefit (higher contrast) as you go futher up the range.

Are you likely to pay the extra for the Netflix HDR package and buy the mid-life refresh versions of the Xbox that support HDR? If not then I'd go for the cheaper end, probably an XE70 if you decide on 55".

50-65" sizes are a matter of preference. At 2m they're not too small or too big so it's a case of whether you'd like the bigger display or the cheaper price.

3. archman

archman
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4
      Thanks for your reply - I have the Netflix HDR package but i dont have the new xbox - not to say i wont get in the future! The XE90 is alot more expensive than the 55N6800 - is it worth the extra £500ish - i may have meant the XE85 as it is £999 (still £350 more than 55N6800)

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,297
      At 2-3m away you are quite far from even a 65" model to see much, if any difference with UHD content.

HDR on the other hand can be benefited from regardless of how far away you view.

In my book, these would be your options:
      Get the Hisense 65N6800 and benefit from the larger size, you may at 2m benefit a little from UHD. The advantage in this would be a larger screen=more immersion.

or
      Get the Sony 55XE9005 and benefit from HDR worth having. Although the value of this option is questionable right now with only a few shows on Netflix being in HDR.

I don't think HDR is really worth having on any TV less than the Sony XE9005, but on the other hand as you have already seen there are next to no reviews on the Hisense N57xx series.

If you want an alternative to the Hisense N6800 the Sony XE70xx series which comes in 55" and 65" would suit.

5. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,341
      You are stuck in the middle where you'd get some benefit from a more expensive TV but it's not enough to make it automatically worth going for.

It really comes down to how much you value the extra image quality.

6. archman

archman
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4
      The 55XE90 is too expensive for me
      Should I rule out
      LG55UJ670V
      Samsung UE55MU7000
      Panasonic TX58EX700

Seems to always come back to the N6800 but perhaps the brand is holding me back and is 60hz enough

Would the 58DX902 blow all these out of the water. I’m concerned with year warranty on a refurb though

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    7. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,297
      You could do with knowing the main differences between TVs in each price category so you know where you stand by spending little compared to more. Maybe reading this will help you: Guide: My best value TVs, 2017 Edition

It places all the TVs in to different categories..the Panasonic EX700 and the MU7000 at those sizes are very different specifications despite being similar in price. Not sure you read the small bits between each low/medium/high range but those are the things you need to consider if you are thinking about spending more or less.

The LG...well not really the best choice unless you need viewing angles.

Yes, by a long way..but is a high end TV which shines with HDR. Do you want really good HDR?

8. archman

archman
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4
      Sorry Dodgexander I have looked at that many models over the last few weeks and I am not pretending to know a lot about them, my heads fried! I just want to be sure I’m getting as good as I can/need for the money. You are right I don’t need really good HDR, so it’s looking like a battle between
      55XE85 £999
      and
      55MU70 £850

Can I just ask on the Samsung QE55Q6FAMT at same price as xe85 is it a contender or more for HDR again

9. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,297
      Not sure with the Q6. Once you start paying that kind of money its better to get the Sony XE9005 though. I think the Q6 is going for £999 but I have seen people price matching the 55XE9005 Sony for £1079 not too long ago.

Prices fluctuate a lot in the TV market and they drop a lot with time too, so its worth instead of buying straight away to take a step back and be patient with price changes to get a good deal. It can make the difference from paying over the odds for one model compared to under for a better spec TV. You could say when you buy is about as important as what you buy.

Anyway. I don't know if you saw or not from the other thread, but people had recently been picking up the Sony XE85 series for as low as £645 over black friday. I am not sure if the ship has sailed but they were either buying from TPS themselves or getting John Lewis to price match. Put this in to perspective, before black friday the XE85 series was priced at £1000 and people we're able to pick it up for £355 less. Similar with the Samsung 55MU7000, before black Friday it was £1000 and it was reduced too £800.

My advice would be to not rush to make any decision now, keep a short list of models you know you want and track their prices. That is the way to get the best deal.

So you are interested in both the Samsung 55MU7000 and Sony 55XE85xx series. Why is it that you are looking at these models instead of the cheaper Hisense 55N6800 or Sony 55XE70xx series? What is it that you are looking to be better for the extra money?

10. archman

archman
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4
      Thanks Dodgexander - I’m happy to be patient and as you suggest I want two or three models to keep an eye on. I was going for ones in your mid range rather than low range as I am happy to pay slightly more for better spec - perhaps I don’t really need that better spec or it’s going to be wasted on me? As I said it mainly for sky hd (football) and Xbox. I have the Netflix hdr but not a lot on it and at my price range it seems hdr won’t matter. This is why I keep coming back to the Hisense but if I can pick up an xe85 for £700 ish then I’m guessing that’s the best move. I am not going to rush but i need to narrow down my models!!

11. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,297
      Yes, with people picking up a TV like the Sony 55XE85xx for as little as that it makes the normal alternatives at lower price points less attractive. Priced at £800+ again though I would say for you it might be better to spend less on an inferior model.

The gain you get isn't really in quality. In most ways the cheaper models are just as good in terms of picture quality to the Sony XE85xx, its just the Sony uses a 120hz panel instead so you can use more motion enhancements to de-bur and smooth out the image.

For some people this is useful, but they come with their drawbacks also. Its a personal preference whether you use them or not. If you do not, picking up a TV like the XE85xx series isn't really going to perform any better than the cheaper 55XE70 series. There are small differences here and there, but they don't really justify £200+ in price difference. You get android TV with the higher end model and the youview app built in and you get a wide colour gamut..the latter really not relevant at this price range. You also get a better anti reflection filter on the screen and it gets a little brighter.

12. archman

archman
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4
      But you would still rate the 55n6800 above the xe70 at same price?
      Am I right that you suggest a model from your low range would suit my needs but if I can pick up a xe85 or mu7000 for say £700 then I should BUT I won’t necessarily see any benefits?

13. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,297
      They are both about the same between the Hisense 55N6800 and Sony 55XE70xx..neither is better than the other really.

In relation to your second question, you won't see much of benefit no, especially if you don't use the motion settings in the TVs menu.

14. archman

archman
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4
      Time to read up on motion settings now!!

15. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,297
    16. bestseany

bestseany

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4
      The XE85 was a bargain at £645. The deal ended yesterday though unfortunately.

17. archman

archman
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4
      I’ve been looking a lot and never seen at that price, what site was it? I believe only a few managed the price match with JL

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    18. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,297
      It was TPS - The Perfect Signal Ltd who were offering it on their website, its now gone back up in price. I am sure some people bought it directly from them also.

19. bestseany

bestseany

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4
      TPS were selling it at £895 with £250 instant cashback. With the £55 delivery the tv was £700 all in with 7 years of warranty, including 5 with Sony.

I ordered one on Tuesday night, just before it expired.

20. archman

archman
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4
      Its still on the website either free bluray or 250 cashback. I'm over in Belfast though so dont see any options for delivery here

21. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,297
      I think most places state in their price matching policies that they will also match any offers as long as they are not exclusive to only one customer..which I am sure is why some people were getting John Lewis to price match.

Anyway @archman TPS don't discuss delivery, payment for it etc until after you have ordered. My suggestion would be to drop them a call or an email and ask if they can arrange delivery to you. Since they book it afterwards there may be a chance they will deliver to NI but you likely will have to pay for it yourself.

They aren't like some of the big other firms where they have delivery contracts etc

22. archman

archman
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4
      This is a nightmare, I thought I had decided on the XE85 then I see the XE90 only £200 more and think it will come down in price. THEN I realise I don’t actually NEED either of those because of what I’ll be using! Getting the XE85 at £700 I thought was my decision now I’m looking at the XE90 at £1100 and thinking sod it just get it!
      Someone put me out of my misery!!

23. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,297
      There is no pressure to make a decision is there? Just bide your time and wait for discounts. I am sure you will be able to get the XE90 for XE85 prices come the clearance sales.

If in doubt I would always swing on buying cheaper, the further up you go the less value you get. Especially when you aren't sure if you will be benefiting from all the bells and whistles.

Seek out a demo of either the 55XE70xx series or Hisense 55N6800 and see if you are happy with their PQ and go from there. Most people will be.

24. Goldorak

Goldorak
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,920
      It is just tvs !!! Relax and be patient
      You should be able to pick up the 55xe90 at £999 or lower in the next 4-6 weeks

You had lots of good advice here. You have witnessed how low they xe85 can go.
      If you keep your tv long then the xe90 is worth the wait and the small extra (and I am not just talking about hdr benefits as that Sony gives a lot more)

25. PJS76

PJS76
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8
      Great thread with top advice. I am still undecided. Was looking at 49 inch models, xe9005, qled, panny 750 but have realised a lot of 55 inch models are better than the 49 inch equivalent. Then cost wise I am jumping into oled LG B7 territory and my mind just blows! Plus other hates big TV's!!! Oled or lcd? Arghh, I actually wish my current TV was broken so I just bought something!

26. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,297
      @PJS76 thats correct about value. You can get 55" models with the same spec as 50" models, sometimes for less.

I believe this is down to lack of competition at 50" this year. Believe it or not 50" is considered small now in todays standards (advent of UHD etc) so the best value is found at 55".

27. PJS76

PJS76
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8
      Amazing that 50 inch is considered small! LGB7V is sold out in many places now

28. archman

archman
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4
      I have my heart decided on the kd55xe9005 and keeping an eye on it dropping but have noticed kd55xe8396 at £779. Am I better holding out for xe90 under a grand in sales? Also assume no point going for 65n6800 at same price - Sony would be way ahead?

29. LCDseeker

LCDseeker

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +472
      Spend a few hundred more and get Sony XE9305 the PQ and upscaling is epic. Worth every single penny. Most places do interest free payments.

30. archman

archman
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4
      Ah man dont be throwing more models into the mix, just as i made my decision!! Nah the xe93 too expensive for what i need - as is the xe90 but i'm happy to pay bit extra for quality and future proofing.