1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

too loud for next door

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by shoalin kid, Nov 23, 2003.

1. shoalin kid

shoalin kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    we ve just moved into a new house and after a great deal of work the house and the cinema room are all but finished.I ve watched a few films already mostly on week days about 3.30pm not late and on sat afternoon ,now next door have been complaining saying its like thunder i went in there house for a listen .i put terminator 3 on the chase scene (pretty good bit lots of bass)and to my usual listening level and it was nt that bad certainly for day time and night time .now is it me being inconsideret or them being akward

2. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Sorry, its you! If they can here it. Its a real pain to have noisey neighbours lucky for me I haven't.

Your best bet.... Invite them round to watch with you :D

3. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Well if you have just moved in and they arent used to that sort of noise they are bound to complain.

You could try building up the sound level over time and they may just get used to it.

4. shoalin kid

shoalin kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if it was the other way round i would nt have a problem ,at the old house next door never did.it honestly was nt loud when i went round to theres

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Try some grammas under the sub?

6. shoalin kid

shoalin kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wat are grammas ? spikes ? its sat on top of a paving slab to try and isolate it.i thought of moving it to behind the chairs but dont know how this will affect the sound

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    It's not really the point that you wouldn't have a problem with noise if the situation was reversed,more that your neighbours are having problems with your noise intruding into their environment.

I'm fortunate enough now to have a detached house with sufficient room not to cause the nighbours any annoyance,but in previous homes,have simply had to adjust to suit others,and having had to put up with partying etc from others in a block of flats,I can see their point.

Also worth remembering that if the noise intrusion into their house is sufficient,you may fall foul of the noise pollution regulations.

I think that in all such things,you simply have to reach a suitable compromise on both sides....why not speak to them and find what level of noise from your HC setup they can tolerate.

8. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    The Gamma is a platform to put the Sub on made by Auralex.

For details and opinions you may want to have a look at another forum-not that I would recomend you looking "else where" cough, cough.

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Did you build any form of soundproofing into the dividing wall? If not, then I'm not surprised they can hear it.

If you want to have the volume up, then you're going to have to build a false wall an inch away from the existing dividing wall using 4" x 2"s, fill it with 4ins of rockwool insulation and then finish with 2 layers of plasterboard. Seal all gaps around walls floor and ceiling using high modulus silicon sealant or similar before fitting skirting/coving etc. You'll lose 6ins of room width, but it's the least you can do to reduce the sound travelling next door.

Bass is always the hardest thing to stop, so using something like the Gammas will help. For my loft, I used a paving slab to mount my sub on, and it seems to have reduced the physical vibration from the floor. I augmented the bass with bass shakers in the seats.

The sound proofing I've employed seems to work, as neither of my neighbours has complained, and I regularly watch films pretty loudly at around -20 on my Denon 3802 receiver. When asked, they were unaware that I'd been playing anything at all.

HTH

Gary.

10. shoalin kid

shoalin kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your opinions ,we thought of putting in a false wall but the room is nt wide enough.I usually listen at around -27 on my denon avc-a1se when i went in there house to hear it even they said it was nt as loud as before.the sub is currently near the ajoining wall will moving it to the centre of the room behind the chairs make a grest deal of difference,this is a whole new problem for me as for falling foul of any laws i dont think its anywhere near loud enough

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The other thing to try is the 'night' setting on your amp, most have them

12. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    You could make a stud wall and insulate using Wickes 30mm slabs, that way you only reduce the room by 2 to 3 inches, depending on what you use for the framework. Not as good as 4 x 2, but better than nothing.

If it's just the sub that's causing problems, then maybe moving it wil suffice. -27 on the amp doesn't sound too bad, but I suppose it's relative to how much sound leakage your neighbours can hear.

Gary.

13. FazerThou

FazerThou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I'm wondering if the age of the house makes a difference. I moved from a detached to an end terrace, approx 7 years old, after a divorce last year. Using a denon 2802 again at around -20 and the pod race in star wars went round to next door and you could hardly hear it at all. Modern house better insulation possibly?

14. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Not sure about that one, some modern buildings are awful and some old houses are great because of the thick walls. I think it just depends on the building. Modern houses have the potential to be good but they arent always built to that standard.

15. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Fazerthou

I've lived in Bath for a while, and can vouch that the walls there seem significantly thicker and more robust than elsewhere. I only had a complaint when the windows were wide open and my neighbours were in their garden!

16. shoalin kid

shoalin kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    our house was built in 63 good soiled walls through out the house our other place had nasty plasterboard walls ,that wat i cant understand they never said a word at the old house.its only the sub they can hear so i might try and move it see how it goes as long as it doea nt affect the sound too much,failling that how much wold it cost to biuld a 6m x 4m room outside on a hard standing area we have any ideas

17. smp

smp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might find the solid walls actually transmit more bass vibration than a cavity plaster board wall.

Err, best ask a builder :)

In the interim try and compromise with your neighbours and see if they have times where they'll find your home cinema listening acceptable at a resonable level, and understand when they want peace and quiet.

18. happychappy

happychappy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    "In the interim try and compromise with your neighbours and see if they have times where they'll find your home cinema listening acceptable at a resonable level, and understand when they want peace and quiet". [/B][/QUOTE]

Nobel peace prize stuff here! surely it cant be too much too ask for a couple of hours a day at a reasonable time agreeable to both partys can it? after all I bet there is something that they do that you put up with without complaint? cats crapping on your garden?organ recital music?loud bible recitals?w.r.v.s. meetings where the old dears abandon their cars all over the place.....but seriously try to sort it out amicably as bad neighbours are no joke:eek:

19. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    "You might find the solid walls actually transmit more bass vibration than a cavity plaster board wall."

Very true. In fact, a flexible wall can act as a bass trap, and suck out a great deal of bass. I would think the worst case scenario there would be no audible bass, but plenty of vibration going through to the neighbours.

I can remember Dennis Erskine talkng about a room that had been soundproofed using resiliant channel. The channel had done a good job of isolation, but had made the walls flexible enough to reduce nearly all the bass from 5 sub woofers. IIRC, the remedy was to remove the inner walls and bar, then replace with normal 4 x 2 and insulation plasterboard, though I can't remember if anything else was done. The result was a greatly improved bass with only one or two subs.

Gary.

20. DucatiEVO

DucatiEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm the old guy in the flat below is gonna love me with a nice REL Storm 3 firing into the floor....:eek:

Shame to have all that power and not be able to use it.

:(

21. shoalin kid

shoalin kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont think am being unreasonable ive already agreed to keep my viewing to day time i watched pirates of the caribbean at 3.30 today it just feel like is ts never gonna be an ok time to have it on .ive spent a lot of money on this and feel as though i cant enjoy it now

22. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You should try an Auralex Gramma, it might work very well for you. I'm on the second floor of a 3-storey terrace and the Gramma does a great job of isolating my sub.

MuFu.

23. shoalin kid

shoalin kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    where do they sell them and how much?

24. DucatiEVO

DucatiEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the info MuFu, i've done a search for this but all i get are US sites returned; where abouts did you get yours?

Were around the $50 mark.

cheers

25. Respectamonkeee

Respectamonkeee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a hgs 18 and have just sat that on a pair of Gramma pads and it has made a massive improvement to the bass that was traveling thru the joists and into my sitting room below.

Now all i need to do is buy some speaker stands as i can hear dialouge very clearly when in the sitting room and playing something in the cinema.....mind you it was Titan AE ice rings chapter at -15 referance...

When i walked up stairs and opened the door i was nealry blown off my feet......very susprised that the gramma's deflect so much of the bass into the room instead of downwards.

When i put my hand on the HGS now it hardlys feels like its on...its certianly taken the movment out of it

26. DucatiEVO

DucatiEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  27. shoalin kid

shoalin kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my m+k fires forward will that make a difference

28. Operandi

Operandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can also get Grammas, and a hell of a lot of other sound insulation and other goodies here

29. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Yes because a Gramma platform will be fully isolating your sub.

I also use Auralex MoPads under fronts and center.

30. Line_Man

Line_Man
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What volume, or watts does the subwoofer have to be pumping out to get a complaint from a neighbour in general?