Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Too Late Now, But Opinions Anyway

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by iansimpson888, Sep 30, 2003.

1. iansimpson888

iansimpson888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    180cm 16:9 NexNix Motorised Screen
    Optimum 440 Rack
    LMP Mount
    NEC HT1000 DLP

LMP Case
    Enermax PSU
    Athlon XP 2500
    ASUS A7N8X (nForce2)
    512mb DDR Crucial RAM
    Seagate 120gb HDD
    M-Audio Revolution 7.1
    WinTV Go
    Sapphire Radeon 9600 128mb
    Lindy 7.5m DVI

Norton Ghost
    MS Windows XP Pro
    ?? Theatertek ??

Pioneer 1011 THX Select Reciever
    KEF Egg's

Mainly going to be used off-line for DVD's / AVI's and some music.
    Been looking at ShowShifter & myHTPC also. Any tales to tell regarding any of the above?

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,432
    Only thing I'd change are the speakers, consider the Anthony Gallo Nucleus micros if you want some small speakers,they sound fantastic! Might be worth looking at a P4 2.4C 800Mhz FSB CPU and Abit IC7 motherboard, great combination and easily overclocked to 2.8ghz or more which will handle wmp9 hidef stuff, not sure if the same could be said of the Athlon, also mine runs very cool (40C) so possible to use a slow fan on the CPU which keeps the noise down. Oh and the Packard Bell TV100 is a good capture card, used in conjunction with Dscaler it gives great results. Trying to use a PC as a PVR isn't easy to be honest, I find Sky+ far easier!

Cheers,
    Andy.

3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,715
    When you say 'too late now' it sounds as if you've already bought it. :)

Good choice all round I'd say - and Andy has said what I would have too. I only have a 1.3 Duron which is more thn enough for DVD, but if you want to see just how good the Hi Def Windows Media stuff looks on the HT1000, then you'll need a 2.5gig processor minimum.

The HT1000 is a great pj for the money, but you'll be amazed at how much better a good Hi Def transfer can look. I may swap out the Duron for something a bit quicker because the T2 Extreme Edition DVD (1080p) needs something pokey to run. It tends to drop frames on my 2gig pc, but the 720p stuff works well.

I used this heatsink/fan from ebuyer and used a Zalman 20db fan on it for quiet running:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=48547

The fan that comes with it is only 29db so can be used elsewhere, maybe with a fan mate as a case fan or similar.

I also used a standard 300w PSU and replaced the 80mm internal fan with a 20db one, and the pc is almost silent now.

I'm also using a 7.5m Lindy DVI cable with my 9600 and the image quality is the best I've seen on the NEC, and I'm only using PowerDVD V5. XP will give the same quality image though. TT should be better still and more flexible, but I've not seen it myself.

I think the Pinacle PCTV Rave may be a better choice than the WinTV as the Rave has s-video in as well as composite. IIRC, the WinTV only has composite.

HTH.

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    I'd second the suggested PBtv100 or an Xcapture . It will be an improvement.

I'm using Nebula digitv for PVR and digital TV duties ( Dscaler has been regulated to console input and alternative channel watching if I'm recording on the digiTV.
    I have some gripes with the digitv but on the whole I'm more impressed than disenchanted.

5. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    It looks like you've done your homework. My dream system! Can't think of anything that hasn't been mentioned! I second the Nebula card.