1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too hot to use projector?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jules, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    It was 27 degrees in my AV room last night, and the projector is mounted close to the ceiling in a corner area of the room..
    Today is going to be even hotter and I have no way of cooling the room down.

I don't want to cook my Sony HS50. I hate hot weather anyway! Roll on winter I say.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Buy an air conditioner :)

3. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    My Cinema Room is in my garage, no windows, breezeblock consruction, etc. What this gives me is a cool room all the year round. I have an extra radiator in there running off of the main central heating for winter viewing. I didnt plan it this way - Just lucky I suppose ?

;)

4. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    must admit i wanted to watch a film on mine last night and didnt because it was so hot. with running a HTPC as well it gets damn hot. plus i sit with the pj above my head and pc next to me so id cook personally :D CPU temps are to high on PC and i didnt want to risk my projector ! damn i really hate this weather in this country BRING BACK THE RAIN :D

5. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no probs watching last night. as the kop says, pc next to me, z3 above. didnt feel the heat. actually pulled out the sofa bed and kicked back to bride and prejudice!

6. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    My cellar conversion is very cool, even in this weather, again not planned just lucky as well. I thought that once it was built it might be too humid etc down there but its not its :cool:

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    I watched a movie in my loft last night, and the pc CPU was running at around 67c. The pj seemed fine though (well, it didn't shut down on temp :) ). I am considering a small air con unit up there which I'll probably run for an hour or two before hand to cool the room down (to say 20c) and then switch it off when watching the movie. That should give it plenty of lee-way to warm up again rather than start watching at 27c and let it get hotter.

Gary.

8. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,387
    My lounge dosent seem too hot for the projector, however the poor humans is another story... an enclosed room gets you a bit sweaty, what with no airflow, and of course it feels wrong to be in a darkened room when its so nice outside.

IMO a worse problem is the ultrastrong sunlight in summer, ive got blackout blinds up, but despite that light creeps around the edges, under doors etc all making watching films during the day a bit more dissapointing than the evenings.

I think i need an underground bunker next house!

9. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    What sort of temp is too hot for a projector?

Was watching a film last night and the 'overdrive' fan kicked in just as it was finishing. It did not shut down the unit but I took it that due to the room temp which I am not sure what it was (hot thought) this had caused the fan to kick in. Shut the unit down manually ans waited for the fan to stop.

I took it that due to the summer temp this was the reason for the fan to kick in. This has happened once before but it was in the winter and the room was too hot from the central heating.

eatstatic.

10. bikeboyz

bikeboyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spec on my Epson TW10 is 5'c to 35'c operating temp.

11. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I've installed one of these http://www.global-cooling.com/product_info.php?cPath=98&products_id=712 in my living room/home cinema (easy self install). It has a silent mode for use at night, which is fine for watching movies - just need to cool the room down to desired temp beforehand and silent mode is able to keep it there.

(and it has a programable timer, so I;ve got it set to come on at 16.30, so by the time I get home at 18.00 the house is cool downstairs. Must get one upstairs soon!)

12. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    30 degrees in my AV room tonight with 3 big fans running full blast!
    I was planning to watch a good movie tonight, but damn this hot weather!!

If it drops to around 24/25 before 10.30, I'll risk it. Otherwise it'll be a night in front of the TV :thumbsdow.

13. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  14. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Sure I saw a portable air con unit in B&Q or Argos last week for £149.99 ?

:thumbsup:

15. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow better than tesco! B&Q here I come!
    Thanks for that paulfoley.

16. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You will have to feed the hot air that comes out of the back through a window or a hole in the wall. They're quite noisy too. Whatever you do, don't buy an "evaporative" AC unit - they cool the air, but increase the humidity, so no use at all !

17. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well with the window being open it kind of defeats the point, but you'd only have to have it running until your room is cooled to an exceptable temp. Then switch it off (to save electricity) and close the window. When the room heats up again do the same. Rinse and repeat.

PS That tesco unit is a de-humidifier and cooler. So that should be ideal.

18. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    The problem with leaving the window open in hot summer nights, is that the moths and other instects come in and make a bee-line for the screen.

I used my projector last night, but only for 30 minutes in high altitude mode (to make the internal fans run quicker). Exhaust air from the unit was much hotter than normal, so I've simply decided not to use it above 23 degrees.

I fear heat damage to the LCD panels and/or the lamp.
    I remember when I had a Sony VW11, the image dulled significantly and went a bit yellowy after watching Spiderman at 28 degrees.
    It may have had nothing to do with it of course, but I love my HS50 and don't want to hurt it!

I'm going to get a thermometre to hang near the PJ. Any suggestions where the best place is to buy one?

19. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sorry I wouldn't know. But don't you think not using the PJ fro fear of heat is a bit much? I would rather use an air con unit and watch TV through the proj, rather than my LCD TV.

20. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    Definately not.
    Air conditioners are expensive to run, noisy (I bought the Sony HS50 because it was near silent in use) and need an exhaust vent. Unless you plan on making a permanent air con installation, you'll need access to an open window..... not good for the insect invasion.

Until they can make decent projectors that run cool, I think it's just a fact of life. Projectors and very hot enviroments are about as compatible as bicycles on an ice rink.

21. spiver

spiver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have an amazing device that fans me upon request and also provides me with cold beer. Its called a girlfriend.
    CAUTION: They are very expensive to run and are rarely silent !!

22. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Having an account with Daikin, I received details of an offer they are currently running. Split air conditioning units (Daikin are renowned as the world's No 1) for less than £300.

I threw the details out but if enough are interested I see no reason why I could not enquire further and maybe order some for the AV Forums community. These would not be self install though so would need a local installer to fit. Normal cost fitted is in excess of a grand (usually well in excess).

23. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    That's a bargain Neil. :)

I'd jump at one but unfortunately my loft means I can't run the condenser outside easily. I meant to get a portable with condenser venting hose to go outside via the chimney, but never got round to it. I should really as it'll make summer viewing a bit more comfortable. I would chill the room down and then switch it off while viewing.

Gary.

24. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    I bought a weather station over the weekend, and left 1 of the sensors up where the PJ lives.

The temperature today in the AV room (up in the attic) reached a staggering 33.9 degrees!
    It's baking hot up there, and I've unplugged all my devices including Sky+ because it felt red hot... not warm... red hot!

I'll probably get a letter from Sky now telling me my box should be connected 24/7 or they'll come and beat me up!

25. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,395
    Says in my instructions that it can be operated between 5 and 35.

I havent got a clue what the temp is in my living room, but I run mine as normal (avrageing 4hrs) and everything seems fine

tris

26. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I've thought of that, but it occured to me that the hot moist air from the portable would cool in the chimney and cuase condensation, which might run back down or cause a damp problem.

27. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    The thought did occur to me as well, but I thought that as it'll only get used for 2 or 3 hours once a week over a few short months, it would probably dry out or not be a major problem due to the outside air temp - provided the relative humidity isn't too high.

It's probably no different to getting some rain down there which can get blown in by the wind. My chimney terminates in the loft anyway (it's the old kitchen range chimney that was removed up to the loft), so it can't go any further than that. I can monitor it to see if it is a problem, and if it is, I'll just put the hose out via the loft window. I guess the long term problem may be the effect it has on the inside of the chimney and erosion might occur. Mind you, being a kitchen range chimney, it probably had a lot of hot moist air going up it from cooking.

Gary.

28. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,395
    Well seems it's 29 degree's in here so I guess thats not a safe tempature to use it :( thats with a window open and two fans on the go. My screen goe's down over my window (which I would have to close) so that would make the temp rise

tris

29. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,395
    I presume it would be too hot to use it in the above situation?

tris