Too good to be true...?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by clubber, Nov 1, 2005.

Tags:
  1. clubber

clubber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok i was seconds away from ordering my 32" Samsung HDTV for use with my Xbox 360 and Sky +, when i came across this woolworths advert in the paper showing a 30" HDTV for £599 knocked fown from 899 !!!

Click here

Thats it on their website.

Is this really to good to be true? Is it missing anything that the Samsung has? (i'm talking about that really popular samsung, cant remember the name, it has a V shaped bottom)

Thanks guys

2. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    It is 15:9 not 16:9, so everything will look tall and skinny and out of proportion.

You can only get HD resolutions via the VGA in, there's no digital input (ie. HDMI or DVI).

I wouldn't bother at all. The samsung will be a far better performer, with correct aspect ratio and better connectivity making it a better long term buy. I'd be willing to bet that the picture on the Evesham is pretty grotty too, as 15:9 ratio generally indicates an old panel... But that's just speculation as I've never seen it.

By the way "HDTV Ready" is not the same as "HD Ready". "HD Ready" is the one to look for, as it guarantees compatibility with the HD stuff we have on the way. All other variations on the wording, eg HD Compatible, HDTV Ready, HDTV Compatible etc. should be looked at carefully as there is probably something missing that stops it being HD Ready!

Go for the Samsung as you originally planned to.

3. DanDT

DanDT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    uhm....... That's a VGA port isn't it? If there is no HDMI or DVI/HDCP, it can't be a HD-Ready set. Also, no word of component.
    Seems like a PC monitor to me, being smuggled as a HDTV...

4. brakepad

brakepad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definitely a case of getting what you pay for I think e.g. for the same price you could get a 26" Sharp GA5E which (and I'm speculating here) would probably have a better quality panel but not quite as big.

LCD technology is coming down in price very rapidly just as digital cameras have done, but the newest stuff is always better than the older stuff and therefore costs a bit more. There will be soon be dozens of 30-32" screens available for <£600.

Nevertheless there is always a market for TV's like this, so it really depends on what your needs are and what your budget is. It's not truly HD Ready due to the lack of inputs etc, but if the PC support is OK then this might not cause you a problem.

The fact that it has a 15:9 aspect ratio screen is not necessarily a problem as long as the TV 'knows' what shape it is, and displays the image at the correct aspect ratio (i.e. 16:9 pics would have slight borders top and bottom). I currently use a 16:10 PC monitor as a TV and find it's actually a nice compromise between 16:9 (full screen with a bit cropped off the sides) and 4:3 broadcasts (small bars left and right with a bit cropped off top and bottom).