Too Good to be True

AntiDante

Whilst searching for a new ASUS Router/Modem I came across this site www.streetpeople.co.uk.

With hindsight if its too cheap there is probably a reason.

It was only after paying the confirmation order email revealed it was in China.

The irony is I don't think the Asus Router/Modem I searched for is on sale yet.

Royal Mail say my China package is on its way - I wonder what's in the box.

psychopomp1

Yep sounds too good. However if you paid by card or PayPal then you‘re covered in case you’re scammed. Though to be fair I’ve bought some great performing routers from China for almost nothing. Latest being the Phicomm K3 for £40 which puts the latest and greatest Ubiquiti router to shame (K3 uses same hardware as the Asus RT-AC88U)

AntiDante

Yep sounds too good. However if you paid by card or PayPal then you‘re covered in case you’re scammed. Though to be fair I’ve bought some great performing routers from China for almost nothing. Latest being the Phicomm K3 for £40 which puts the latest and greatest Ubiquiti router to shame (K3 uses same hardware as the Asus RT-AC88U)
I have the DSL-AC88U now, poor reviews but it has served me well.

I paid by Barclaycard.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Weirdly my own Asus router won't let me visit that site. Not a good sign I'd say.

Screenshot_20201103_124417_com.brave.browser.jpg

psychopomp1

^^^ I would be far more concerned with the fact that you’re using the DSL-AC68U - this uses the notorious Mediatek dsl chipset which can play havoc with your FTTC line, ie can cause severe line stability causing the DLM to kick in and band your line. It’s that bad that Openreach have actually advised CPs to not offer this to end users. But of course if you’re not using the modem part of this router then nothing to worry about.

AntiDante

Jamie

Distinguished Member
It's me that has the 68 and yes I do use a separate modem, the DSL version was on offer so cheaper.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom