Too good to be true?

Now I see that you don't have one, yet you are distinguished!
What are you talking about?
My avatar is a spitting image of me. Is it because it's in B&W?
Here's a colour photo of me if that helps...
images.jpg

Just for the novelty value, I'll update his emails - have a bit of fun with him before I finally tell him what a lying scumbag he is and I was onto it all along.

Hi, Due to my work I can come only in weekends on Sunday(but not this coming Sunday) and I need to know who will live in the flat(full name and occupation).I also need you to confirm if you will have the funds ready(at least £610 for the first month rent) on Sunday at the time when we will meet for a view because I don`t want to make two trips from Denmark just to show you the flat! Regards

:D

Just for the novelty value, I'll update his emails - have a bit of fun with him before I finally tell him what a lying scumbag he is and I was onto it all along.

My name is Peter & I’m from Denmark. Maybe me & Matt can become friends?

BREAKING

From Matt (wherever you are)

I will give you a proof of identification and I will provide you with my ownership papers so you can check when we meet.The rental agreement is standard, I sent it in case you are not familiar with one, and will not be filled in without us both being present and in presence of a legal adviser. My legal adviser will be present and you can also bring your own legal adviser or witness, I will also provide ownership documents and ID so you can check them out. The flat its exactly as you can see it in the pictures I sent you! I can`t come from Denmark just to show you the flat and that`s why I asked you if you will be prepared to sign the tenancy agreement if everything will be in order after you will view the flat and all the ownership documents with a legal adviser.

And my reply:

Okay so I have to print the document PDF you sent, sign it and take it with me to meet your advisor, if I am right you are saying you can't come from Denmark just to show me the flat?

I am tempted to tell him I have seen the flat that he doesn't want me to know because no-one is living there (although we know there are) so let's dine out on this one for now.

Thanks for that Jim... :rolleyes:

Being serious for a minute, if this scam is going to involve them expecting you to turn up on the doorstep with £610 cash in your pocket, and someone + minder does turn up, the likelihood is that you will get mugged.

Thanks for that Jim... :rolleyes:

Being serious for a minute, if this scam is going to involve them expecting you to turn up on the doorstep with £610 cash in your pocket, and someone + minder does turn up, the likelihood is that you will get mugged.
No the scam will definitely involve the money passing over before any such meeting was supposed to take place, & subsequently no one turns up (as they’re still in ‘Denmark’).

if this scam is going to involve them expecting you to turn up on the doorstep with £610 cash in your pocket, and someone + minder does turn up, the likelihood is that you will get mugged.

But is it something at this stage to alert the police of? There's cyber crime and fraud departments who could find out more about who it is and decide if it's worthwhile snaring smene like this. If I'm required to go to the hit, maybe I can find a substitute!

Unless anything happens, alas, the crime departments might not be that interested. Report it to CAB though...

Thanks...

If a Tenancy Agreement doesn't include the Prescribed Information about the Deposit being registered with a Government approved scheme, then it isn't worth considering.

Sent him a final email anyway, made me feel better...

Was on to you from the start, hence...

[link to this thread supplied]

I went to the property you didn't want me to know the address of as there was no-one living there. I found it because you included a photo of the front door, duh! And guess what, of the three flats there, not one is available for rent, how do you figure that then 'Matt'?

So I have at least learned how the scam works and hopefully nobody has met one of your 'couriers' and handed over good money they've worked hard for to a despicable thieving scumbag like you.

Course, if you are genuine and live in Denmark you've nothing to worry about have you. But you're likely in Lagos or elsewhere.

I reported your details to Gumtree, also Action Fraud so that at least the police can be aware of you. Personally speaking, scammers such as this deserve a good spell in the nick, preying on vulnerable people is just downright low and unacceptable.

^^^^^

So you give him constructive feedback on how to improve the adverts in his next scams.

Cheers,

Nigel

I don't follow your train of thought there at all Nigel. If you read back through this topic, you will see people in the main are not fooled by the ads as they're damned well overcooked, Also I don't believe I have educated or could educate a scammer further. They're slippier than a bar of Wrights Coal Tar.

I don't follow your train of thought there at all Nigel. If you read back through this topic, you will see people in the main are not fooled by the ads as they're damned well overcooked, Also I don't believe I have educated or could educate a scammer further. They're slippier than a bar of Wrights Coal Tar.

It's minor, but you fed back that you were able to track down the house because the photos included the house number.

Cheers,

Nigel

Well, another factor is that an EPC has to be provided by any landlord for a flat to be considered rentworthy. These can be looked up on online EPC Register and they include the address. If you can get the post code up front, you can do a search on that. Of course, a scammer could try and use an existing listing from an agent, but you can always try www.tineye.com to do a photo search.

This kind of scam has been doing the rounds for quite a while now; I've had a few messages like that way back when I was still renting (we're talking ~2010). Good on you for being suspicious :thumbsup:

Although I'm inclined to agree that telling the scammer what they did wrong, wasn't the greatest of ideas...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom