Too good to be true?

Big Starbuck

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hey all, long time member but first time positing in this sub-forum.

I've been doing a bit of car hunting recently and the Audi A5 S Line coupé has grabbed my attention. Anyway I came across this ad http://www.usedcarsni.com/2009-Audi-A5-S-LINE-TDI-130552815 and for the year and mileage it seems way underpriced.

I know next to nothing about cars so will be bringing my dad along to check out the car. He has suggested asking the owner if we can get a RAC inspection done on it. Are they very thorough and likely to find any issues that aren't as apparent to the average driver?

Your thoughts would be apprciated, cheers.

I would always get an RAC or AA inspection and an HPI check before buying second hand, especially if it's a private sale. And I would suggest it if it's done 77k miles, others on here will need to chime in but I'm no car expert either so would feel happier having one check the car out.

Prices based on an average mileage of 50,000 mile.

Bearing in mind your example has done far more than the average of 50k since mid 2009, the information copied from Parker's seems about right. The exact spec couldn't be chosen on Parkers without paying but it gives you an idea...That being said it could have been thrashed and an independent inspection is a very good idea in my view.

Never start a thread with "too good to be true....." ;)

I would always get an RAC or AA inspection and an HPI check before buying second hand, especially if it's a private sale. And I would suggest it if it's done 77k miles, others on here will need to chime in but I'm no car expert either so would feel happier having one check the car out.
I agree. I'd like some peace of mind before parting with that sort of money. I'd like something with lower mileage but that pushes the price up more and I'd rather buy outright than on finance if possible. 77k miles on a Diesel is quite low though, isn't it?
Prices based on an average mileage of 50,000 mile.

Bearing in mind your example has done far more than the average of 50k since mid 2009, the information copied from Parker's seems about right. The exact spec couldn't be chosen on Parkers without paying but it gives you an idea...That being said it could have been thrashed and an independent inspection is a very good idea in my view.

Never start a thread with "too good to be true....." ;)
Haha okay, thanks for the tip.
That's another worry. Some people just don't take care of their motors. I had to get both drive shafts replaced on my Toyota corolla as the previous owner thrashed it as you say.

You know what they say if something seems to good to be true. Even with the milage I'd still expect that car to be nearer 10k

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom