Too good to be true? (48Gbps cables)

wuikof

Novice Member
Hi there,

I currently own an LG 49UJ651V but will be upgrading to an LG OLED55CX5LB (or similar within the next year). I’ve literally just had the 49UJ wall mounted today and thought I’d bought ‘future proof’ cables, however they’re not rated to 48Gbps and I plan on purchasing a next-gen console (PS5/XBOX Series X) at some point so need to get some different cables!
After a quick Google, these cables came up - However after searching around other posts on this forum the cost is very low in comparison. Would the consensus be that these are too cheap? I don’t want to bury these in the wall and then find out with the new TV & PS5 that they’re not good enough! (I’m aware that the advice is to have conduit in the wall to allow for new cables in the future anyways)

Thanks in advance for any help, it’s greatly appreciated.

chenks

No mention of them being certified, and I don't recognise the brand

wuikof

Novice Member
No mention of them being certified, and I don't recognise the brand
Yeah that’s fair enough - I thought that might be the case! After a little more reading it looks like there are very few officially certified 48Gbps cables yet so I may have to wait until some reasonably priced & certified 3m cables come out!

chenks

They are a few to be had, some trickier than others to get in the UK

techifan

Yeah that’s fair enough - I thought that might be the case! After a little more reading it looks like there are very few officially certified 48Gbps cables yet so I may have to wait until some reasonably priced & certified 3m cables come out!
Depends on what you consider to be reasonably priced but these are Certified and genuine branded KabelDirekt HDMI cables.
I recently bought a couple of these cables and I can confirm they are officially certified as checked out with the app.

KabelDirekt – 3m – 8K HDMI 2.1 Ultra High Speed HDMI cable, certified (48G, [email protected], latest standard, officially licensed/tested for optimal quality, perfect for PS5/Xbox/Switch, blue/black) Amazon product

Last edited:

wuikof

Novice Member
Depends on what you consider to be reasonably priced but these are Certified and genuine branded KabelDirekt HDMI cables.
I recently bought a couple of these cables and I can confirm they are officially certified as checked out with the app.

KabelDirekt – 3m – 8K HDMI 2.1 Ultra High Speed HDMI cable, certified (48G, [email protected], latest standard, officially licensed/tested for optimal quality, perfect for PS5/Xbox/Switch, blue/black) Amazon product
That’s not too bad to be fair! I mean, it’s more than the ~£12 I paid for a pack of 3 Amazon Basics but it’ll be worth it in the long run to not have to worry about them. The big question is - Will certified cables become cheaper than that in the next few months (unlikely) before my wife grows tired of the channel currently cut out of the wall in our living room...:rotfl:

chenks

you should always use conduit so that you can remove/replace the cables as and when desired.

mjbtin

chenks

Those aren't 48Gbps cables. They are 18Gbps cables and totally useless for the job.

psychopomp1

Belkin (quality brand) do genuine 48 Gbps HDMI cables but they’re not cheap!
Amazon product

chenks

Those are grossly overpriced, and debatable as to whether they are certified

wuikof

Novice Member
you should always use conduit so that you can remove/replace the cables as and when desired.
Yeah that’s completely fair - I know I’m going against sound advice with what I’m doing :blush:

Belkin (quality brand) do genuine 48 Gbps HDMI cables but they’re not cheap!
Amazon product
Wow they are expensive! This is what I was worried about for genuine cables. I’m glad that there’s an excuse to not buy them chenks :laugh:

I think I’m going to have to bite the bullet with the other ones as I want to get things sorted as I’m starting to get annoyed with a hole in the wall now 🤣

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom