Tony Scott (1944-2012)

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Director Tony Scott has died in an apparent suicide

Tony Scott, who was the younger brother of Sir Ridley Scott, died yesterday in Los Angeles. He apparently jumped off a bridge, leaving a suicide note in his car.

Scott directed some of the most iconic films of the last thirty years, including Top Gun, Enemy of the State and True Romance.

His last film - Unstoppable - was released in 2010 and starred Denzel Washington and he was also an active film and TV producer. He was a partner, along with his brother, in his own production company called Scott Free.

Simon Crust

Movie Reviewer
Heard this on the news this morning - unbelievable - suicide ...? What? Just incredible, sad, sad day

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Sad news indeed, grew up loving those hazy LA sunsets he included in many of his films.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
I'd rate Enemy of the State, True Romance and The Last Boy Scout as three of my favourite films.

Very sad and just goes to show that depression can strike at anyone.

Matt2001

Novice Member
Couldn't believe this when I heard it on the news this morning. 'True Romance' one of my fave films also, and only a couple of nights ago I saw 'Unstoppable' and enjoyed it immensely.

A terrible day when such a great talent passes...

Steve Withers

Reviewer
By coincidence I watched Tony's director's cut of Revenge last week on Blu-ray, it was great fun and a bit of a forgotten gem.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Sad to hear that one of my favorite director is no more.:(

LicensedTaximan

Very sad and just goes to show that depression can strike at anyone.
Absolutey....regardless of whether one is wealthy or not depression doesn't discriminate. Having been in this situation some years ago when my dear dad passed away, and I was with him a the point of his passing, I can tell you that it really is a "state of mind". If that bit 'aint working right, and it's only the small part from just above your eyebrows to the top of your cranium, then it's as if your in the black hole of calcutter. Although it took me around four bl+++y years to get out of it at least I got through.

It was a combination of my dad's passing and one week after that at 42 I caught chicken pox (at that age very dicey indeed) and two weeks after contracting CP our first daughter was born. To say I was in a mess upstairs would be putting it mildly, so unforunately I know what it's like. When people say "I feel a bit depressed" er no you don't what you feel is a bit down a bit low, depression I can assure you is something totally and completely different.

It's sooo sad when there appears to be nowhere out of an individuals depth of despair and unhappiness that one feels the only way out is suicide, very sad indeed....RIP Tony Scott.

MJeeves

Rumour has it that Tony Scott may have had an "inoperable brain cancer". So so sad. He will be missed by a great many. Thoughts are with his wife and young children. :(

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020
Top Bottom