Tony Hawks Pro 3 or 4

J

JAZ_MAG

Hey guys.

May be a stupid question but whats your opinion on which is best tony hawks pro skater 3 or 4?

Have found both pretty cheap and want to get one

Cheers

4 is better.

Much more variation in the tricks and you can do some incredible combos once you learn the levels. It's a longer game, open-ended to explore the levels and, IMO, the levels are far superior to 3.

THUG is the best one of the series (despite all the non-skating crap they included). There's only a few new additions from 4 to THUG but they do make a huge difference IMO

I like both. But 4 is better. It actually has Bob Burnquist in it, more goals and you can freeskate the level until you talk to someone. Talking to someone will activate a certain goal you have to do. Very good game. Harder and more tricks to do. There's not many secret characters compared to 3 though...

3 available from Tesco for £8.54 +p&p
4 available from Tesco for £6.64 +p&p

THUG alot more so not gonna bother with that

I didn't know they were that cheap :)

Get 4 IMO, but you should play 3 as well. It's still a very good game (I just prefer the last two games)

I hated 4 with a passion, but i loved 3 and THUG. IMO 3 is the most enjoyable as its much simpler, and IMO more enjoyable

I preferred 3 to 4, I like the smaller levels and the time limits gave it more of an arcade feel.

Both are good, but I liked the changing enviroments in 3!

I much prefer thps 3, seems like more of a tangent than the other games. I strongly disliked 4 as well

Originally posted by Sinzer
I preferred 3 to 4, I like the smaller levels and the time limits gave it more of an arcade feel.

Yep that's why i liked it more too. Its a real pick up and play game :smashin:

At under a tenner a piece, just buy them both!

They are more than worth it at that price!

Get 3, 4 is a steaming pile. 3 is the more playable, you can pick it up and play for 5 minutes or 2 hours, top top game. The 2 player part of 3 is good as well, especially Horse(which is probably on 4 as well but the levels are crap)

Ive just bought 4 after reading this thread.

Ive got to say that this game is purile, pointless, juvenile, banal in the extreme. So someone please explain to me why Im addicted? Why am I planning my combos while sat at work, why am I looking out the window thinking thats a grindable ledge, why am I looking at telegraph cables thinking whats the best way to do a boardslide on it?

Sorry to deviate from the topic but you guys seem to be TH veterens. Im struggling with Combos and any FAQ/Hints/Walkthroughs Ive seen assume some fundamental knowledge of reverts and manuals.

I can do em but I dont understand how they stack the points.

Ie you get some air, you do a trick and thena revert....then what? Do you have a set time for another trick

Manuals. I can land with a ^ and a v and go into manual. But how do you do a trick from a manual, as left and right balance you, so how to you do a trick.

Also, how do you do a flatland trick?

PS My quest for knowledge is driven by my desire to beat my 8 year old nephew, who can do all this with his eyes shut, and wont reveal how to do it. Im 36 and cant believe this is what drives me!!!

I'm not expert and only have them on the gamecube but:

As you land from "air", perform a revert then a manual straight after. This combines the tricks so you continue the combo.

Flatland tricks are performed by pressing various buttons whilst performing a manual.

Tricks from manuals are performed as either flatland, or by performing an ollie from which you can do various tricks. Make sure you go straight into a manual when you land though to continue your combo.

Basically, every different move you perform in a combo adds to the multiplier.

The big points are found in the special moves though and are worth mastering if you really want to look good at the game!

I can do em but I dont understand how they stack the points.

Ie you get some air, you do a trick and thena revert....then what? Do you have a set time for another trick

As Eviljohn says...

Try this and it should be easy for you. Go up a quarter-pipe ramp, hold - then release - X at the top of the ramp to ollie. Press a direction plus the flip button (what format are you playing on, btw? On the PS2 version, flip = square button)
as you touch the ramp on the way down, press revert. You now have about 1 second to continue. You can press up or down to manual, but don't stay in this for too long. Quickly ollie again (maybe do a small grab or kickflip) and manual as you land. Look for rails, grinds or anything similar to continue your run. The game is all about grinds IMO - you can rack up nearly scary combos in this game...and I know that whenever I get a good score (I'm talking 2-3 million point combos:devil: ) it's because of the way I use grinds.

Manuals. I can land with a ^ and a v and go into manual. But how do you do a trick from a manual, as left and right balance you, so how to you do a trick.

Also, how do you do a flatland trick?

You need to ollie out of a manual. Press the jump button and then do a basic move, grind etc. Once you know the game well it's possible to do some special moves from this position...

For flatland...do a manual, then ollie and press left, right and flip. You enter another type of manual. From here press variations of flip/grind/grab buttons to enter new flatland tricks. So pressing grab>flip will produce a different move to pressing grind>grind. These are called variations.

Each time you do this, your multiplier goes up by one point. So if you've got a combo score of about 25000 built up, each flatland trick variation will add 25000 to your total score (plus a bit more, since you get a lot of points for manual tricks) This is an advanced trick IMO...don't try this in your combos until you're comfortable with the game's combo system

PS My quest for knowledge is driven by my desire to beat my 8 year old nephew, who can do all this with his eyes shut, and wont reveal how to do it. Im 36 and cant believe this is what drives me!!!

This is one of the most competitive games I've ever played. I've loved the series since the original in 1999. When me and my mate play this...well, the air turns blue and we go out of our way to out-do each other. One person sets a score in 2 minutes...the other has to beat it in a single combo - very funny stuff especially late at night

The last time we did we were playing until 3am. We weren't even competing at that point...just messing around in Horse mode and landing double Indy 900s off of a huge building:laugh:

People can say what they want about it being casual, mainstream etc...it's a brilliant game. Always has been...always will be.

Thanks guys. I will try some of the moves hen I get home.

This is all too reminiscent of the simpsons episode here Homer dedicates a lot of effort to beat his son at a video game. Im 36 and have turned into Homer simpson. Im not sure ether that is commendable or not! I'll ask "The boy" when I get home

guess hich key has stopped orking on my keyboard

I must be thick because I cant seem to use manuals.

What I am doing is:
1) Finding a half pipe area
2) getting some air by using X as I get to the top
3) doing a trick (<-+O for example)
4) using R/L1 to angle the landing
5) R2 for a revert just as I land followed by ^ then v, hey presto a manual

But this slows it down so much that its static by the time it gets to the other side of the pipe.

Also doing a manual on the flat (X then ^v). I do an Ollie but then the combo ends. I dont seem to stack points.

I get the feeling Im missing something obvious. Any help?

I think I need help at the button level rather than trick name level. Can someone for example tell e the sequence for a handstand or a 2-3 trick combo in terms ok button presses using () to specify buttons at the same time and , to seperate eg:
X,A,X, (<- + A) for a wall slide

Originally posted by nunew33
I must be thick because I cant seem to use manuals.

What I am doing is:
1) Finding a half pipe area
2) getting some air by using X as I get to the top
3) doing a trick (<-+O for example)
4) using R/L1 to angle the landing
5) R2 for a revert just as I land followed by ^ then v, hey presto a manual

But this slows it down so much that its static by the time it gets to the other side of the pipe.

Once you're in the manual, jump (X) and press left, right and square before you land. This goes into a 'hidden' manual that allows you to build up a bit of speed. Use this to get to a rail or something to grind along.

Also doing a manual on the flat (X then ^v). I do an Ollie but then the combo ends. I dont seem to stack points.

I get the feeling Im missing something obvious. Any help?

Once you ollie out of a combo, you need to do another manual (up/down or down/up) before you land - use a mix of both to keep it varied...if you use one move too much, your combos build up a lot slower (ie instead of 500 points for each second you do a grind, you might only get 200)

I think I need help at the button level rather than trick name level. Can someone for example tell e the sequence for a handstand or a 2-3 trick combo in terms ok button presses using () to specify buttons at the same time and , to seperate eg:
X,A,X, (<- + A) for a wall slide [/B]

I can't remember specific buttons combinations from memory since I use a custom character and have rearranged all the moves(and they vary from character to character, anyway)

But try going up a quarter pipe, hold L1 to spin and press down-right and circle to do a grab. Keep hold of this for about 1-2 seconds and land it. Revert (R2) and go into a manual (up/down). Press X and then left, right square to land again in a manual. This will build up your speed. Carry on with this (keeping your balance with up/down) until you find a ledge, rail etc and press X. Then press Up and Triangle to do a grind. Keep an eye on your balance and if you reach the end of the rail, or start to wobble and can't control it, press X again and land. Don't press anything else and your combo will have finished.

It's difficult to say what to do if I don't know what course you're using etc. There's so much in each level that you can do tricks with that it's all about experimenting and learning for yourself.

Best thing to do is play it and learn for yourself IMO :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom