Tony Hawk: Proving Ground

Not played it much yet, only 10mins, but did only take half an hour to download.

Yeah judging how long it took for this to download its not exactly hot property right now.

I played it for a bit didnt go through the three challenges though, just messed about in the worl for a bit, it felt good to be able to use the TH controls and they clicked back into place instantly.

Its seems like its still Tony Hawk basically, as it stands SKATE is claiming the money in my wallet, but i havent yet given Tony a fair crack, although TBH i can see theres room in my collection for both, its just this christmas i cant afford both

Posted this in the Skate thread already but anyway...

I got the new TH demo last night and after playing it for a while had to turn it off an put Skate back on. It just feels like a backwards step for skating games. Dont get me wrong, I thought it was still good for a TH game, but it doesnt really offer anything new and compared to Skate it just feels like a button bashing excercise. The graphics dont seem any improvement over P8 either and the level design is purely for the massive combos with all the roller-coaster style lines, yet nothing that you would actually want to skate in real life. After 5 minutes I was basically on auto-pilot… just tapping away without really looking, next thing I knew I'd racked up near enough a 400K combo and had travelled around the level about 5 times.

I know what you're saying about the controls clicking back into place Guns, but I dunno if I really like that. For the last however many TH I've been able to turn then on 1st time and start getting stupidly large combos straight away, even with low stats... it just feels like there's no challenge any more. As I said above, it's like being on auto-pilot. Also, because of the levels being designed for that style of play, I get bored because I can just session something simple like a bank to rail or even just a nice ledge down some steps. Well, you can but it's not as satifying as it is in Skate as there's zero realism.

I just hope that the gaming public see Skate for the amazing game that it is and give it a chance. I think a lot of people might be put of because of the initially steep learning curve, which is a shame because once you master it then it's one of the most rewarding games on the 360 at the moment.

I'm definatey a Skate convert, even more so after playing the new TH demo :clap:

Oh Dear! I'm going to be hard on this game.

Well, after playing the demo, I can only imagine that the TH team were looking at each other dumbstruck and in confusion when they got a hold of the Skate demo and realised just how much they've been done.

I guess this demo was rushed out to try and take away some of the attention that Skate is getting but as RandomLee says, this just feels like a huge step backwards, even for the TH series. With the grind stat at it's lowest, I felt like I couldn't fall off a grind. The series has degenerated into just grinding around for ridiculously long periods jumping from rail to kerb to whatever and when you run out of grinds, manual for a bit till you find another. You don't even need to look, just hit jump then grind and you'll magically stick to something. :mad:

This doesn't even feel as good as P8 IMO and if they think that throwing in that stupid Nail The Grab mode is some kind of inovative new feature, then they are very much mistaken.

The TH guys need to wake the hell up and take the series in a proper new direction. Hopefully Skate will be just the game to do that.

Got to agree with the last 2 posts. I've loved virtually every TH game but this just looks and feels.............. well, pants compared to SKATE. I really hope that game lives up to the hype. All personal opinion of course :) .

Have to agree with the general consensus here. PG is OK, but Skate os better.

PG is like an old friend though, you know how to grind, manual etc etc, and as was said, straight away you are racking stupidly big scores with out even trying!

Least PG will be region free, and I will get what I paid for it when I trade it in at Blockbusters!

skate is getting my money,the whole tony h thing is getting very samey and boring now

I enjoyed the demo, Nail the Grab is fun, especially when combined with NTT. The aggro kick solves the slowness of P8 too. Will probably pick up both THPG and Sk8 when they're in the pre-owed bin as I'm still only at #7 in P8. :rolleyes:

Ummmm....TH has never ever been about realism! Its got less realistic as time has gon on...

But we only get complaints now from people because they've played "Skate". Most games aren't realistic, maybe your all taking it a bit too seriously, they are quite different games.

Personally can't stand TH, but then I've felt like that since Tony Hawks Underground -> Thats when it got "silly". But the "underground" games got top notch reviews.

Gotta agree with the philosophy of you lot but, me thinks you only noticed it because skate turned up :D

Gotta agree with the philosophy of you lot but, me thinks you only noticed it because skate turned up :D

I know what you're saying and would agree to an extent, but for me personally I've been waiting for a game like Skate to come out for years. I thought the TH games got stale after the 3rd installment but due to there being nothing else on offer (let's face it, Thrasher: Skate & Destroy was utter garbage) I've still grudgingly bought every TH game since up until P8 and I've had many a criticism of all of them.

IMO Skate is a breath of fresh air for the genre, and as I said it's the game I've been waiting years for. It's not without it's faults, but whats good about it more than makes up for the bad.

We just need a decent snowboard game on the 360 now... something to make up for the franchise-rape that was Amped 3... ew, I feel dirty just typing it :rolleyes:

Here's hoping the Shaun White game wont just be an ego-stroking exercise or a cash-in on his suceess.

Hey! Amped3 isn't that bad. I'm on my second run through the game (lost my save with my old console) It doesn't take itself as seriously as the original(s), but it's still a good game.

Hey! Amped3 isn't that bad. I'm on my second run through the game (lost my save with my old console) It doesn't take itself as seriously as the original(s), but it's still a good game.

Duuuuuuuude, whooooooah, alright, yeeeeeeeeeeah, totally super bodaciously aweeeeeesoooooome!

It's got to have one of the most annoying stories of any game I've ever played. As for the the surf-bum stereo-type characters, I almost sold all my snowboard equipment is sheer disgust! In the 12 years I've been doing it I've never came across anyone like that in real life, even Americans (although admittedly some do come close).

The gameplay isnt that bad but it's no where near as good as Amped 2 was on the original Xbox. It went from a decent attempt at a snowboard sim, to some bastardised version of Tony Hawk on snow. They butchered the control system and changed the graphics to something akin to a bad Nikelodeon cartoon.

Sorry, dont mean to go off on a rant :)

Got this yesterday courtesy of Play Asia!

Did not like it at first, it felt disjointed, and did not like not being able to pull off all the tricks I had previously learnt, but after an hour or so you have nail the trick, and nail the grab, and things start getting a little easier.

Most of the reviews I have seen have given this around 7/10 and I would say that is a fair score, I feel a lot more comfortable with this than Skate, and find getting around a lot better!

It's far more fun that skate. Skate is too relestic and becomes boring. If I wanted the game to mimic life I'd go out skatting myself.

Not a busy thread this one! ANYWAY, in some of the later career bits it wants you to do things like 540 spin while in NTT mode, WELL after much faffing and much googling, you have to buy the ability to spin! If you do not have it, it will stop you from getting pro/sick on some events!

Got this game at the weekend, played everyone since THPS2 I think and at first I thought this one had got it all wrong but after playing for a while I got the hang of the new changes. Looks pretty nice overall, some of the sick challenges really are getting insane.

Got this game at the weekend, played everyone since THPS2 I think and at first I thought this one had got it all wrong but after playing for a while I got the hang of the new changes. Looks pretty nice overall, some of the sick challenges really are getting insane.

I know they are starting to take the **** with the sic challenges now!

Just keep bashing those buttons and you'll eventually beat them! :devil:

Just started playing the game and I'm doing random challenges around Philly. Ive met Tony Hawk and i have to do a manual for him. I just cant seem to get the required distance. Or be able to hold the manual for any given time. And when I can get somewhere it stops just before the end. Any tips?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom