Tonight's Deadwood repeat on SkyMIX running time longer?

Joe Pineapples

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to have to tape the repeat again tomorrow night (monday on skyone), as i didnt realise it was on tonight on SkyMIX, longer than an hour - from 10:00pm - 11:20pm (yes, minus adverts etc), I stopped the tape about 11:10pm thinking it would be well finished. I've never missed an episode or any part of one. So assuming they've always been that length (apart from the pilot), then i must have left the tape running well over each time.

Anyone else noticed if they've always been this length or not? :confused:

Hi,

As "Deadwood" is created and shown on HBO in the USA, HBO never force time-constraints onto the show's creators. (unlike the normal US time-constraint, where every show must run to 42 minutes, excluding adverts, so that it can be run in an hour-long slot!) Hence, you will never find any show of theirs (e.g. The Sopranos, Oz, Deadwood, etc) with two episodes running to the same duration. (As an example, some episode of "the Sopranos" have run as short as 55 minutes excluding all ads, and as long as 70 minutes excluding ads!)

Deadwood, like The Sopranos, normally runs to about 65-70 minutes, excluding any ads. However, each episode will vary! Some will be nearer 65 minutes, and some closer to 70. As such, each weeks running time, when shown on Sky 1 or Sky Mix, will also vary. Hence, the allocated time-slot will always be somewhere between 70-80 minutes, including ad breaks.

Your best bet, is to always set your video/DVD/Sky+ recorder to allow a minimum of 80 minutes for each episode of Deadwood, if you want to be 100% certain of catching it in full. If the start time is 10pm, then the show will have ended by 11:20pm. If the start time is 11pm, then the show will conclude by 12:20am. See what I mean?

I hope that helps.

Pooch

But isn't it good... :thumbsup:

Couldn't miss this now...would be :suicide: if I did... :D

PoochJD said:
Hi,

As "Deadwood" is created and shown on HBO in the USA, HBO never force time-constraints onto the show's creators.

Pooch

Are HBO the only station to do this? I must admit I've never noticed before but as I tape it on Sky+ its always managed to tape the lot and not miss anything. Its a refreshing change for a programme not to be dictated to by adverts or programming constraints.

Its a fab show too :thumbsup:

Hi Smelly,

As far as I know, yes HBO are the only non-commercial channel to do this. The reason being HBO is a subscription-only channel. Thankfully, because they have so many subscribers in the USA, and they make a hefty amount of money selling their shows around the world, they allow full creative freedom to their programme makers/creators. Hence, they allow practically any material to be shown, including sexual content, violence, gore and/or bad language, and don't restrict running times on episodes either.

Obviously, most programme makers/creators do self-restrict themselves to approximately one hour or so, per episode, but that's excluding any advert breaks.

HBO created the old US comedy show "Dream On" (starring Brian Benben) about the middle-aged guy going through a mid-life crisis, and it used old TV and film clips to describe his life. It was created by John Landis (film director of "An American Werewolf In London"). It was one of the first HBO shows to get international acclaim, and air in the UK. It was also notorious for its use of uncensored material, and unrestricted language in a mainstream TV show. And this was years before "Sex And The City", "The Sopranos" or "Oz" came along! We're talking late 1980's, very early 1990's!

Pooch

Talking of HBO...dusted off the Band Of Brothers Tin last night and gave ep 1 a spin...episode 2 tonight...HBO do make some stunning shows.
Carnivale on FX is HBO as well...very good programme but cropped to pieces by FX and shown in 4.3 when it screams out to be shown in WS... :thumbsdow

Family Guy,

I noted that too on FX. They trail "Carnivale" in deluxe and glorious 1.85:1, and then go and air the show in blinking 4:3, and it looks horrendous! :mad: Admittedly, the reason they don't air any of their shows or films in proper widescreen, is simply becasuse they can't afford the widescreen technology yet, being a fledgeling TV station. :(

I guess I'll have to wait until a terrestrial station can air it. Let's pray it'll be Five who have the rights to this!

Pooch

PoochJD said:
I guess I'll have to wait until a terrestrial station can air it. Let's pray it'll be Five who have the rights to this!Pooch
Or wait for the DVD release - which will no doubt be in DD 5.1 as well...it really does spoil an excelent programme knowing that half the picture is missing...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom