Tonight/Last Night my HD viewing is/was... Part 6 (Please read first post).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garrett

Rules as the other parts

As with other What threads please could you make the thread more interesting and give some info on what your going or have watch rather than name the film, program etc. Just saying what you watched without comment on little intrest to anyone, only you post count.

As someone pointed out and I have done the same posted what I have watched the day after rather than what I intended the day before. If you wish to post the day after it is OK, preferably not double posting the same viewing
Continuing from part 5

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
The missus and I watched Spiderman on a Blu that I bought from one of the forum members :smashin:

It turned out that although we've both watched it loads of times (at different times and seperately occasionally) on telly, we'd both never seen the first half hour of it :eek:

How does that work? :suicide:

irascian

Banned
Watched The Mikado last night. Good fun despite the missing songs and changes to who sings what.

The Blu-ray itself (Criterion Collection) is excellent, with a strong Technicolor transfer, and if you like Gilbert and Sullivan this seems ageless - incredible to discover it was actually made 72 years go! :-O

HitmanKelly

Catfish last night. Been keen to see it since the hype last year.. mmmm... can't really make my mind up about it, I thought it was ok, but hardly 'shocking' as some described. Yes it was a little 'off-kilter' which gave it a nice sense of suspense, but felt after the reveal it dragged on a bit and had nowhere to go.

elbowdan

Burlesque last night for me.

Really enjoyed it as it goes. Christina did a great job acting and of course singing (huge fan) and the dialogue was a surprising touch which made an otherwise mundane plot above average. The story was predictable but the visuals and the choreography were excellent. Rest of the cast were fine to an extent.
It never took itself too seriously but still delivered the experience you'd expect. Ultimately it looked like all had a great time making it.

Bluray quality for the picture was a bit soft here and there but otherwise handled well and probably deliberate. Colours were vibrant, the staging the lighting really good. The outfits (or lack of) were suitably detailed.
The DTS soundtrack was Amazing! Some brilliant musical moments with an enveloped soundstage. Vocals were crystal. One of the best I've heard in a while.

This disc will be shelved under 'guilty pleasure' for sure.

stument

Distinguished Member
Tonight I have the choice of Monsters vs Aliens 3D or Despicable Me 3D, going to be my first 3d film so really looking forward to it, will give my thoughts after :thumbsup:

featherhall

Distinguished Member
watched Man on Fire last night. Forgot just how good this film is and thoroughly enjoyed watching it again. For an older title this is reference stuff with a sparkling transfer in every department. Lush visuals and explosive sound. If you dont have this then I urge you to pick it up as it can be got pretty cheap.

Film - 8/10
PQ - 9/10
SQ- 9/10

tonight it is Amores Perros. I've seen it a few times (inc once on blu) but the other half is keen to see it. No objection from me as it is an absolute classic. Picture and sound are a marked improvement on the sdDVD

Mo Better Blues

Distinguished Member
Monsters last night for us.

Film 8/10
PQ 8/10
SQ 8/10

Very enjoyable film, I would never have guessed that this was a low budget film

irascian

Banned
Finished Justified Season 1 this afternoon. Really good series. Top notch writing, acting and a superb HD transfer.

Thought Timothy Olyphant was terrible in Hitman and Die Hard 4.0 but he's REALLY good in this.

Can't wait for Season 2.

Steve McQueef

Distinguished Member
Mission: Impossible II for me last night.

I used to like this film, but this showing made me realize what a load of shiznit it really is.
John Woo hobbled into PG-13 territory does not work, the old western style of grabbing yourself
to show you've been shot, but no blood, doesn't cut the mustard any more, sorry. Still enjoyed the
bit of business with the bikes, but the rest is pants.

Dougray Scott supposedly missed out on the part of Wolverine because of this movie. So I guess M:I-II can be thanked for one thing...

The blu-ray is crap as well, single layered MPEG-2 transfer, that has some awful edge enhancement baked into it. There's very little definition in it at all. Audio is lossy Dolby 5.1.

Avoid it.

The SMF

Banned
tonight i saw The Green Hornet :D

PQ and AQ top notch, couldn't wait to watch this and it was so worth it :thumbsup:

gotta give it a 9/10 easy

irascian

Banned
tonight i saw The Green Hornet :D

PQ and AQ top notch, couldn't wait to watch this and it was so worth it :thumbsup:

gotta give it a 9/10 easy

Thought it was one big "Meh!" from start to finish. Seth Rogen's tired schtick is well past its "Sell by" date.

Oh well, at least the steelbook's pretty.

The SMF

Banned
well i've only ever seen 1 other movie he's in and didn't realise he was in that, that being the 40 year old virgin

DarenD

Had a double helping of [REC] and [REC]2. Darn good films although I thought I would like the 2nd more than I actually did. I thought it was getting pretty silly half way through. I mean there must have been 20 odd infected in a 3 storey apartment building with one stairwell. Yet people were still wandering about not bumping into any. Nice little twist towards the end.

[REC] is easily the better of the 2 so far as storyline go. I would say they are both on par as far as picture and sound quality, although Im no expert at either. Subs arent half as annoying as I thought they would be and flowed pretty well. Nothing worse then trying to read complicated subs while keeping one eye on the picture.

Probably follow the story alittle more with a [REC]3 purchase when its released and the price is right.

Now do I cap the night off with The Green Hornet. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:

featherhall

Distinguished Member
tonight it is AC/DC - Live at River Plate (which has this moment dropped through the letterbox). Filmed entirely in HD this promises to be awesome. Neighbours be warned that there is going to be some serious noise and a case of beer is at the ready - chilling.
Of course, they are welcome being fans as well :)

spikeyjac

Distinguished Member
Die Hard - Watched this last night as I bought the quadrilogy from Amz.com!
First let's start with the picture - quality isn't great if I'm honest, the colours somehow didn't seem right, however I'll refrain from passing anymore judgement on that, as the film is fairly old!
However, Die Hard is one of those films that I've seen nearly all of it apart from the ending but in different bits at different times, and so for the first hour, although I enjoyed it, I found myself getting bored which was a shame, so I paused it and played Fifa for a little bit then went back to it - this seemed to help because I enjoyed it more, and I might stick on the second one today, although I have a feeling it'll be the same sort of situation with that one as well!
Mesrine 1 and 2 - Managed to get this quite cheap of eBay, and I'm quite glad I did!!
The first part I found very enthralling, with the lead actor playing his part very well, although I'm not sure I liked the ending, when it only told you what happened to his friend and didn't show it, however the second part I didn't find as gripping, and was almost a little bored I'm afraid to say :( However, the ending was superb, and acted out and filmed really well by all who were involved! I'd definately recommend this set to people!

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Mission: Impossible II for me last night.

I used to like this film, but this showing made me realize what a load of shiznit it really is.
John Woo hobbled into PG-13 territory does not work, the old western style of grabbing yourself
to show you've been shot, but no blood, doesn't cut the mustard any more, sorry. Still enjoyed the
bit of business with the bikes, but the rest is pants.

Dougray Scott supposedly missed out on the part of Wolverine because of this movie. So I guess M:I-II can be thanked for one thing...

The blu-ray is crap as well, single layered MPEG-2 transfer, that has some awful edge enhancement baked into it. There's very little definition in it at all. Audio is lossy Dolby 5.1.

Avoid it.

:D I always thought MI2 was pretty bad really! Too many oooh-look-cant-you-tell-this-is-john-woo? moments :D. I wouldnt buy any of them to be honest although Id possibly watch or rent them again.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
I can't decide between 127 Hours and Land Of The Dead for tonight.:confused::D

If you need any help, one of the films is pretty good, the other pretty terrible.

I'll leave you to figure out which is which:D:smashin:

DICKIEDUVET

Distinguished Member
Love Land Of The Dead, Very underrated, Dennis Hopper's excellent in it and quite funny :smashin:

The SMF

Banned
well tonight i finished of the lethal weapon set with number 4

i think watching it now made me laugh even more than i had ever before, i think HD just makes chris rock even funnier and his facial expressions always get me

great way to finish the set off, just leaves me to watch the bonus disc tomorrow at some point

overal this set was a steal @ £21, 9/10 :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio