1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tonight I have been mostly....

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by HardBoiledEgg, Sep 9, 2004.

1. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Messing about in Photoshop!

Is anyone an expert here on cutting out people and placing them on different backgrounds? It's something I struggle with as I feel my efforts always look fake :blush: Anyho, I had another go tonight (took me 2 hours to do these!) I just used white as it was easier :)

What do you think?

Fake? Or looks like he was shot on white?

Be Gentle! :lesson:

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well you can tell they've been super imposed nicola to be honest. You might be better off getting a background like a white or better still cream sheet with some texure in it. The white Backround looks really flat and very bright.

I tell you one thing though, i've had PS elements for about 10 days, and i've not got a clue how to do what you've been doing:laugh: I use photo suite (for idiots) for stuff like that still. But it's not as powerful as PS. By the looks of it it wont be long before you have it sussed;)

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,483
    Same here Nicola although some do not as obvious as others.

How did you get rid of the background?

4. Zef

Zef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Your cutting out is good,(diffused pic is the best) however all backgrounds will look odd as the photo was taken with all the different light sources and depth of picture in. any kind of background will look odd as its inot "part" of the original photo. Grey or darker tones work better - pure white doesnt natrually occur.

I use the extract Filter in Photoshop to extract the portion of the image, then soften the edges.

I use process of extracting images from original photos for creating collages, and usually add these to other images using layer masks.

5. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used the extract tool in Photoshop to cut that specific one out, but there are lots of other ways to do it, like dragging onto a new layer then using the eraser to 'rub out' the background, revealing the new on underneath.
    That white background is just a new white canvas - I will try another colour though Zef see if that helps!

6. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    I always use the paths tool in Photoshop for hard edges in an image.

hair is always the biggest problem. The only solution for cutting our hair from a background is a piece of software called Corel Knockout (name might have changed since I bought it). It's able to extract hair from a background with almost miraculous ease.

To get really good results your initial choice of image is important. One with soft eges will look odd with a hard outer edge.

Also you will find that images photographed on a white background will have shadows and highlights in the background - the absolutely white background looks fake because you would never get a background so white in the studio. i sometimes use the lighting filter to add my own lighting effects to create a more realistic images and I also add in my own shadows afterwards - make a layer out of the cut out image, dupe it and then blur and resize the duped layer to turn it into a shadow. of the object.

Chris

7. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice Chris, have you any photos on the internet you could share? How do you add your own shadows? When I try I'm not always sure where to put them.

Attached Files:

8. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    You need to look at where the light is coming from. The best idea would be to try and copy the shadow that's in the original image.

In the sample below the light is mainly from above and so I have added a shadow under the feet. I made a layer from the cut out image and scaled it to the shape you see. I then filled it with black, reduced the transparency and blurred it. I then duped the shadow area and erased some of the overlapping areas of the shadow so that the shadow area appears darker under the feet.

Hope this helps

Chris

Attached Files:

9. hansi

hansi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Could someone tell me how to create a link like Nicola did with her "What do you think" I've never been able to do that! Doh!

10. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    See the blue world with the lil chain icon? hit that write the text. Hit ok then place the link in

Like this

11. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cos I'm soo clever you see :D

12. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about the shadow on this train? Does it look real?

Attached Files:

13. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With or without the frame? :confused:

Attached Files:

14. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned: