tomtom vs garmin which should i get

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by 2012, Aug 26, 2012.

1. 2012

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Im looking for a new Sat Nav for work to get to customers addresses 2-3 times a week all over the england and have got it down to these 2 choice makes
    Garmin or Tomtom are they both the same or is one better then the other ?

garmin comes with life time map updates and and some models offer free lifetime live feature

Tomtom, most people i know say get Tomtom but map updates are paid for and live feature is only 1year

have you used any and what have you thought,

im looking at the tomtom 120 live or the garmin 2495LMT

2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,922
    It's mostly a matter of personal preference really, but fwiw, I much prefer the tomtom interface.
    I'd also say the tomtoms are a little bit more intuitive to use, but that's just my opinion.
    I know the Live sub only lasts a year, but live traffic is a real boon and well worth the £50 a year.

3. Stu_M3

Stu_M3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    What did you buy in the end and would you recommend it? I am in the same boat and interested to know what choice you made and why.
    Thanks.

4. 2012

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I went for a Garmin I found it a lot faster and as easy to use with a lot of free features, but in the end had to return it because the person I got it for did not like it due to only using tom tom's in the past.

but I found the garmin better.

5. Stu_M3

Stu_M3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Thanks for the update and info :cool:

6. Steev08

Steev08

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Hi, did this let you put in multiple postcodes and it would route them for you? Looking for something with this feature for a delivery driver across england.

7. wongataa

wongataa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    With my Garmin you can create a trip using several points. You can do this with postcodes/saved favourites/points of interest/selection from the map.

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +981
    Garmin routing is crap imho.

9. Mart33

Mart33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got (yesterday!) the Garmin 2455 and I think I'm going to really like it. It's very easy to use and has lots of handy features..... I ordered a mains charger for it (about £4) and left it for about 10 hours on its first charge. Now I'm looking for someplace to go to try it out!

10. HHGTTG

HHGTTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    You can do this on m TomTom XL Live one. It has a pre-planning facility and I have done a few imaginary journeys, I'm sure.

11. cosmicma

cosmicma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    i whent through this dilema a while ago having used tomtom, igo and navman in the past
    the only one i hadn't used was garmin and coincidently is the one i ended up choosing
    there is a lot of features on the garmin that can be quite handy but the one feature that swung it was google which allows you to search for a company name or anything google has to offer and will direct you straight there

12. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +981
    Don't you find Garmin routing is a bit pants though?

I have been using a 3590 for a few weeks and the routes it chooses are just crap.

It seems to look at the speed of the road and take that as gospel.

What I mean by that is, a motorway that is 70mph and 100 miles vs an A road that is 60mph but only 70 miles it thinks it is a better road.
    However, we all know that we tend to sit at 80mph on a motorway but in reality an A road may see an average of only 50mph at best, but still chooses the A road.
    It says that the A road is 1hour vs 1h10mins on the motorway, but it ends up taking 1h30mins, because we simply don't average 60mph.

I do around 40k miles a year and have found Navigon to be the best routing, however....they have removed zoom from their 3D mapping, which is really annoying.

The freenav on my iphone is petty good, but TomTom with their user updates of real time traffic speeds seems to have it nailed I reckon, shame they look so clunky and have a terrible mount and charger set up. Just looks messy on the dash.

13. cosmicma

cosmicma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    just got back to this thread

i find the routing to be at best average and at worst bloody terrible
    the model i have is the garmin nilink 2340 live edition it's pretty feature full but it's tends to be slow on route updates and initial finding a route for navigation from scratch

14. kconhere

kconhere
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have in the past used Tom Tom and had no issues, I purchased a Garmin Nuvi 3760 and can honestly say its the worse purchase I have ever made, updates can take 10 to 12 hours, after updating the maps you still find yourself driving across fields etc because the road is not on the map, the routing is a joke quite often find yourself going through housing estates etc, the device crashes on a regular basis (yesterday 8 times during a 3 hour trip), it is very slow i.e. the car symbol on screen is often lagging behind your position on the road.. I would never buy another Garmin product and would advise others to do the same.

Garmin = Rubbish !!!!

15. craigizmo2k2

craigizmo2k2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    I bought the tomtom via135 from halfords for £120.00 last week in Scotland when I gave into the fact that the satnav built into my 60 plate ford focus just does not cut it.

Having used tomtoms in the past and attempting to use Google Maps and other map apps on my iPhone and Android phones with no success at all over the years (meaning tomtom is the only device for me) all I can comment on is that it is very easy to use and great value from Halfords at the moment as it comes with "lifetime" free map upgrades which was where the cars inbuilt solution fell down - upgrades were very expensive and there is no speed camera alerts on it. With the tomtom, there is.

When plugging the TT Via 135 in, it sets itself up as a network device on your computer and you download the tomtom home software which is used to perform map upgrades, add voices and other things.