TomTom Vs Garmin please help me decide (UK reviews please, None UK welcome)

Mouse9

Standard Member
Hello just signed up to have a good banter about these two satnavs.

Firstly I only wanted UK views because I am based in the UK and would like to know UK satnav reviews of both products.

I have read that North Americans prefer the Garmin mainly becuase their maps are more accurate of the two products (NavTeq vs Teleatlas). Navteq(Germin) are genenerlly more accuate then Teleatlas (Tomtom). But Navteq have a poor database of European roads. Teleatlas have a good database of European roads but poor in America.

Hence American users would vote Garmin (generally).

Anyway based on this I am not sure which to choose from. From reviews I have read, Garmin are better products (Better POI, accurate maps, less likley to crash). Tomtom although have good features, are likely to crash, not the most reliable.

So I am torn whether to invest in TomTom (better UK maps supposely) or Garmin better GPS system.

Also with regards to updating maps.

I know Tomtom you have to pay to update and has the Map sharing advantage but do you have to pay with Garmin? (can't find anything regarding this on their website). I heard Garmin you do have to pay but their disadvantage is they don't release updates regularly. Something like 4 maps per year. (Tom more frequent?)

Mouse9

Standard Member
I am considering either

XL IQ Routes™ edition Regional
GBP 179.99
TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - ONE IQ Routes™ edition Regional

ONE IQ Routes™ edition GBP 149.99
TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - XL IQ Routes™ edition Regional

Both the same features only difference is the 1st one has a larger screen.

OR

nüvi® 1200T 169.99 can't find this at halfords? or anywhere else?
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=13834#specsTab

nüvi® 215W
(can't find a price for this nor can I find this at halfords? or anywhere else?

Both have FM traffic compatible. I am not sure what this is? Is it an update on the traffic live? If so do I have to pay to use it?

mrash

Having had experience with both, I'd actually get neither. The tomtom has better traffic (tmc) than the garmin, and a better interface, but the garmin will actually work for long enough to get you to your destination. I used to have tomtoms, then movedto garmin for reliability, but the tmc never really worked on my garmins. I eventually decided to break away fromthe big 2 and now have a navigon 4350max. And have to say, it's superb. Traffic updates are brilliant and amazingly accurate, the "myroutes" function is beter than tomtoms iq routing too. It's also yet to take me down a one way street the wrong way, or crash. You also get 2 years of map updates for £17. This would cost around £200 on the garmin, who only update twice a year, navigon update their maps 4 times a year! £160 for the navigon 4350, and you get Bluetooth and full European mapping too. As well as reality view and lane assist. Bargain of the year if you ask me.

Mouse9

Standard Member
Navigon eh?

Thank you for your opinion. If would to hear more from users. I will look into navigon.

KeithO

Novice Member
I've only ever used Tomtom devices, but I have found them to be very reliable - no crashes, as experienced by some users. Current unit (920T) gets sat locks very quickly and hangs onto them well.

I use mine a lot in Europe (based in Germany) and also UK and USA. Certainly in the areas I've driven (Germany, France, UK and Florida) the maps have been fine.

TMC on Tomtoms is not great, but I have a Becker in-dash unit that is also rubbish, so I tend to think that's a limitation of TMC system rather than TTs implementation of it.

Customer service for TT is crap...I've never had to return a unit for repair (fingers crossed) but just getting them to deal with queries is very hard work.

The HOME application used to update the TT is OK...it has funnies but generally it works.

Maps - I signed up for a 2 year deal where I get all the updated maps for a decent price (just this week downloaded new Western Europe map) but without this maps would be expensive.

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
I am considering either

XL IQ Routes™ edition Regional
GBP 179.99
TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - ONE IQ Routesâ„¢ edition Regional

ONE IQ Routes™ edition GBP 149.99
TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - XL IQ Routesâ„¢ edition Regional

Both the same features only difference is the 1st one has a larger screen.

OR

nüvi® 1200T 169.99 can't find this at halfords? or anywhere else?

nüvi® 215W
(can't find a price for this nor can I find this at halfords? or anywhere else?

Both have FM traffic compatible. I am not sure what this is? Is it an update on the traffic live? If so do I have to pay to use it?

Get a Tomtom XL live, I have used them for years and just ordered a new XL live which is £225 on the tomtom site or £170 at John lewis for European maps and it had HD routes etc on it.
Don't get one with TMC, it's crap.
The maps are getting much better with the route corrector built in to the new tomtom's. I have not had many problems, only in rural places where it thinks a very minor road is the same as other roads.
Buy TomTom XL LIVE IQ Routes Edition GPS Navigation System, European Maps online at JohnLewis.com

Last edited:

mrash

TMC on Tomtoms is not great, but I have a Becker in-dash unit that is also rubbish, so I tend to think that's a limitation of TMC system rather than TTs implementation of it.

Don't get one with TMC, it's crap.

I have to agree that this is the case with the Garmin units (which were my unit of choice). I read a lot of praise for the Navigons TMC, so took a punt at it, and it works a treat. The 4350max has all the features of a more expensive tomtom, but with much better customer services, better software, better routing, and smoother, more accurate graphics and scrolling. No more missing those exits on busy roundabouts! The screen mount is also so much better than the tomtoms, its actually secure and doesnt bounce around or fall off the screen. 2 years of map updates for £17 swings it too.

My advice would be to go and play with the unit and see what you think. Halfords will always push you towards Garmin as they are more generous to the staff ;)

nheather

Distinguished Member
I've had both and I would say that the TT mapping is slightly better.

It has better small (and service) road coverage and more comprehensive street name display on the screen.

It doesn't make a huge amount of difference to be honest - the main one is that with Garmin you are more likely to find yourself driving on map without roads if you are off the beaten track or on commercial property.

For example with TomTom I found that private road systems on retail parks, large car parks, large companies were present but in Garmin it is just white open space.

Also unimpressed with map updates in general. When the office where I work was first built about 8 years ago you couldn't turn right onto the main road. Had to turn left and come back at the next roundabout.

That only lasted for about 2 or 3 years (2003 at the latest) but the Garmin maps - 2008, 2009 and 2010 have still not been updated.

Each time I have had an update I expect it to be changed but not yet - makes you wonder what you actually pay for in an update.

My 2010 garmin map was also rubbish in central Manchester - kept trying to direct down 'bus only' roads - and these are not new, been like that for the last two years at least.

Cheers,

Nigel

dan54

I've had both and I would say that the TT mapping is slightly better.

It has better small (and service) road coverage and more comprehensive street name display on the screen.

It doesn't make a huge amount of difference to be honest - the main one is that with Garmin you are more likely to find yourself driving on map without roads if you are off the beaten track or on commercial property.

For example with TomTom I found that private road systems on retail parks, large car parks, large companies were present but in Garmin it is just white open space.

Also unimpressed with map updates in general. When the office where I work was first built about 8 years ago you couldn't turn right onto the main road. Had to turn left and come back at the next roundabout.

That only lasted for about 2 or 3 years (2003 at the latest) but the Garmin maps - 2008, 2009 and 2010 have still not been updated.

Each time I have had an update I expect it to be changed but not yet - makes you wonder what you actually pay for in an update.

My 2010 garmin map was also rubbish in central Manchester - kept trying to direct down 'bus only' roads - and these are not new, been like that for the last two years at least.

Cheers,

Nigel

Agree with all of this,on my Garmin found myself driving on white space in Gloucester when the road had been there for quite sometime,yet it was on the TT, also the new bypass to the north of Swindon was on the TT before it was even open/finished! TTv4 was even more detailed showing even laybys! yet the Garmin quite often couldnt even let me know what road I was on and displayed the useful information of "driving on road"!

Mouse9

Standard Member
Thank you all for your replies.

As I am still unsure, read so many problems with TomTom, but now you guys have given me of a ponder with Garmin.

I will research Navigon and see how there are.

Thanks again,

More reviews are welcome!

JUS

I've just bought a Garmin. I like it. Does the job. I find the traffic updates pretty spot on to be honest. The speed camera warnings are great as well ;) I've found it great when visiting a new town and need a petrol station, atm or food.

The disappointment with the Garmin is that I can't find a Mr T voice..lol...Garmin are apparently a bit anal when it comes to allowing other companies to develop for it. Tomtom has a lot more extras to buy.

Mouse9

Standard Member
Not too fused with not being able to change voices etc.

Just need something that is has accuate UK maps (seems to be TomTom), good speed camera database (Both TT and G), good POI database (seems to be Garmin). Good updates of maps (seems to be TT and traffic update (seems to be TT).

So it seems on paper TT is is the one to buy but because of the unreliablity factor, Garmin seems more worth it.

lynx

Senior Moderator

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom