Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

TomTom v5

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Steve Bate, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    If anyone is interested TTv5 is now out and an upgrade from v3 is only 59Euro, this is including maps of all of Europe which is a significant cost reduction if you need the Europe maps.

HTH somebody!

Steve

2. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi have recently upgraded my TomTom Navigator 3 to v5 and cannot get it to work with Tomtom's own Wired Antenna. Never had a problem with v3, but v5 is causing me enormous problems!! :(

I know that their market success and therefore growth is just amazing, but it's a pity that their customer service isn't up to the challenge. I have tried to send messages via the "My TomTom" system, but no response as yet. If only they have a UK telephone that they answered. :mad:

All I get is that they are too busy with other calls, please try later, I'm now on try 10 and still nothing!!! :confused:

Rant over! Anyone else experienced such problems? :lease:

R

3. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,859
    I wouldn't advise anyone to upgrade to V5 as it's riddled with bugs & the "new" GB maps only appear to be current as of Q1 2003.

There's a bug list here but I'm not aware of any issues with the wired GPS. There's a 5.1 update on Tom Tom's site, may be worth giving that a go.

4. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks Crocodile - although I haven't managed to get it to work yet, I am disappointed the maps have not been updated! This was the primary reason I upgraded!

The 5.1 upgrade appears to be for TomTom Go users only.

5. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,859
    The TTN5.1 update is here.

Have a trawl of the rest of the Navigator forum if you get no joy.

6. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Will give this a whirl crocodile. Thanks!

7. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have v5, but have not really noticed any problems in use from when using v2.4 -the speed of scrolling the maps is greatly improved (I am using it on an old Ipaq 3630).

I have a non-TT reciever, but it has to be set as a wired TT reciever to work. Have you checked and tried other com settings via the gps settings - in programs/gps?

8. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yep, tried that Woody67, makes no difference. I'm starting to suspect that it's a faulty cable, but don't know anyone who could lend me theirs to test. Will await TomTom's response (sometime this century I hope!!)

9. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Can't you reload v3 and see if the receiver is working with that?

10. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,625
    The maps have been updated, there is a estate round the corned that was built 10 years ago that has made it on, and the M6 toll road is on.

11. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Finally managed to get TomTom 5 working on my XDA2. :thumbsup: Turns out that I had to switch off "Receive all incoming beams" in the Beam option of Settings. This liberates the appropriate COM port for TomTom to use.

Generally I am pleased with the new version, although I do find that the GPS is considerably less sensitive than v3. :confused: Anyone have any suggestions on how to improve this, or is it only solvable by an imminent firmware upgrade?

Thanks!

12. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Only real issue I have noticed with v5 is that the blue Bluetooth light on my Bluetooth GPS unit (pucker Tom Tom one) no longer stays lit to show it has a BT link. Very annoying as this version also seems to take much longer to lock on to the GPS signal so I keep thinking there is no BT link. Bl00dy annoying that an updated version has more bugs than the previous ones (i.e. with features that worked fine previously)

13. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    I "upgraded" to TT5, and found it to be equivalent to taking a step backwards. It was installed on a "clean" system, that had just been hard resetted. Even though I had patched it with the latest update, I found it so glitchy, as to be not only annoying, but bordering on un-useable.

After giving it the benefit of the doubt, I scrubbed it from my system, with another hard reset, reformatted my storage cards, and re-installed TT3 !! Now works superbly!!!!

It was used, for those that are interested, with a Dell X50V, and a Globalsat BT338 gps receiver, storage being 1 x 1 gb Sandisk SD card & 1 x 4 gb Lexar 44x CF card.

14. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Is the TT5.1 upgrade applicable to all PDA's or only those mentioned on the official site ?

Would it work on my iPaq 4150 and would I notice a difference (have recently been getting a lot of connectivity problems between the PDA and my Tomtom bluetooth GPS receiver).

Cheers

15. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,859
    The 4150 is included on the comatability list here. I'm running it on a 4150 but wouldn't really recommend the upgrade unless you can make use of the European maps. I also doubt upgrading the software alone will help with connectivity problems & may even make them worse.

16. jezclayton

jezclayton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Rimibar - you are a star (kinda rhymes though not intentional). I too had been getting the same problem on an XDAIIi and was getting real ****** off with TomTom who constantly suggested doing this and that when I just wanted a new GPS device. Sure enough, read your thread, changed the Beam setting and it works.

As far as the upgrade is concerned, it is worth it for the full postcode functionality (though I did have to copy the zip file from the storage card to main memory for it to work). More details on this are given on TomTom FAQs.

I was previously running Nav 5 on an XDAII and had no problems, though I did notice it takes longer to load and establish a GPS link, hence upgrading to the XDAIIi. One problem I did experience and a fairly serious one at that is that somehow the application, and I'm guessing it was TomTom, managed to drain my PDA battery, including the backup, and hence delete itself along with all other installed programs. Ha Ha.

Actually come to think of it there are other problems I now remember (haven't been able to use it for ten days due to problem now solved by Rimibar - advance straight to CEO TomTom UK).

Tried TomTom Plus but couldn't for the life of me get it to work - why I want it anyhow is another matter (the more is better bug). Also had loads of fun with the shortest route option. I went with my mates up to the NEC from Reading and the shortest route took 4 hours as opposed to the usual 1.5 hours. Whilst it was nice scenery, I recommend checking the time difference between shortest and fastest. The other thing I found with the shortest route was that it has tried to take me up roads marked as unsuitable for vehicular traffice and obviously not used by the same.

On the whole though I like it, after all I have nothing that does what it says on the tin so I suppose it would be a surprise if it was faultless.

17. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Now there's the recognition I've been looking for all these years! Glad that the Beam information was of help - I was close to demanding a new GPS device as well!

I have experienced this a few times as well, but hadn't attributed it to TomTom I had assumed it was the crap battery life of my XDA2. Will bear this in mind in future!

My main issue remains the inaccuracy of the GPS. When I am on a slip road (in traffic) is often tells me that I am still on the main carriageway and recalculates according - then 2 seconds later realises its mistake (once moving again) and recalculates - which leaves me circling the roundabout in confusion!!

v3 seemed to be much more accurate - have you experienced this?

18. jezclayton

jezclayton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know what you mean about the inaccuracy, but thats entertaining in a strange kind of way. There are times when I have been driving along a main road only for the TomTom screen to show that I'm actually half way across a ploughed field! As for roundabouts you just go round twice if necessary and enjoy the view.

I reality, the problems on roundabouts isn't a major issue for me as I drive a van and therefore travel slower than many of the saloon cars. Since the refresh rate is not linked to speed the faster you travel the more likely you are to miss your turning. In addition, I do tend to look at the roundabout icon prior to entry so I have some idea of what is expected. All the same, I wonder how many accidents on roundabouts can be attributed to satellite navigation.

As regards the slip road/ploughed field thing I guess the accuracy depends on 1) the number of satellites in view, 2) the number of times the council moved the road overnight and 3) the accuracy of the maps. Since all of these are outside the control of TomTom I cannot really fault them.

I actually think TomTom is a fantastic product for the price. I certainly could never have imagined ten years ago that I would have such technology available to me. Hopefully the next ten years will be as good and the satellite navigation will drive the van for me while I enjoy some relaxation in the back with a mail order supermodel!

:devil: