TomTom or Garmin?

Amazon5

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've had a TomTom Go 700 for a few years now which I've used for trips in the UK and southern Spain, but I'm going to Florida next year and because the 700 doesn't have an SD card slot, if I buy a US map, I'd have to delete the existing maps to put the US one on.

As this all sound like hassle and I've been looking at getting a newer and less bulky satnav anyway, I've been looking at various units, but I'm trying to decide between the following:

TomTom 1000 or 1005 including European maps
Garmin Nuvi 3790T including European maps

Both of them have very positive 'professional' reviews, but very average (or poor) user reviews...

Basically, I won't be using it that often, maybe 2-3 times a month for work visits and 1-2 times a year for either a UK, US or Spanish holiday.

The main problem with the TomTom 1000 or 1005 is that there aren't any US maps available for them (yet), but there is for the 3790T. I also looked at the TomTom 950 as it includes European and US maps, but it's difficult to buy an 'old' model now the 1xxx series are available.

Considering what it's going to be used for, what would everybody recommend? Should I stick with TomTom and hope that a US map becomes available soon or jump ship to Garmin?, (I've never tried anything other than a TomTom). I also like the look of Garmin's 'Junction View', but I can't imagine that many junctions will be covered considering the detail shown in the screenshots...

I'd be very grateful if anyone could offer some help or advice! :smashin:

Thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom