TomTom or Garmin Nuvi?

thejudge

Standard Member
I'm looking at Sat Nav's as my next gadget and as usual I'm unsure about which one I should purchase.

I think i've got it down to either a TomTom One (V2 or V3?) or a Garmin Nuvi 300. I've already tried out the TomTom One and was fairly impressed with it but nothing stood out as exceptional, it has the nasty habit of announcing "bear right" when there is the slightest bend in the road which I think will get on my nerves after a while. Is this a inherent feature of all Sat Nav devices?

I haven't had the opportunity to try out the Nuvi 300 but it looks to have all the features I'm after and a bit more. Any opinions on the Nuvi 300?

D

Deleted member 207985

I have the nuvi 250. It is very good. It only tells me to keep to a certain side of the road if the road is to split into two roads

playthefilm

TomTom One and was fairly impressed with it but nothing stood out as exceptional, it has the nasty habit of announcing "bear right" when there is the slightest bend in the road which I think will get on my nerves after a while. Is this a inherent feature of all Sat Nav devices?

Is that on a single lane road or if there is a split? Am thinking of getting one. Tried a Garmin that as ronlizpatsimon states, let's you know to stay on the right side if the road splits - does the TomTom One do this also?

thejudge

Standard Member
It was a single carriageway road and it was fairly clear that there was no junction to manoeuvre.

Sluggster

I've just been to France with my brother. I had a TomTom XL and my brother had a Garmin Nuvi 660.

I just returned my TomTom and ordered a 660.

The PC based software for the TomTom was painful to use and locked my XL every time I used it.

In action (when I could get it to work) it could not find our guest house or hotel in France - the 660 found both.

Personally I think the map screen is better on the Garmin too.

Anything good to say about the TomTom - no.

Even the website locked up when I tried to send a mail to customer support!

Running a few searches on the net most posts seem to start 'press reset and.......

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom