tomtom one europe v3 - is it rubbish?

shynsingh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have never owned a satnav before.

I was given a tomtom one europe v3 for xmas, and got it out of the box yesterday. To cut a long story short, I had a go with the unit, driving to my local supermarket. I understood from the box and the website that the latest maps would be on the unit.

I drove along my usual route only to discover that a road that was built over 2 years ago, showed up as fields on the display.

I am sure that i followed the instructions on the pc setup correctly.The box included a leaflet with a code number on it for the unit, which i was supposed to enter onto the tomtom one website, this was supposed to ensure that if the maps were out of date on the unit, that new ones could be downloaded. When I got onto the website, it said that these codes were no longer used.
I am not that familiar using the web for downloads etc, but believe that I did look through the site for more help, to no avail.

I used the system this morning to get to work, and it worked fine on roads that have been there for ever.

I am really dissapointed as even a road that has been established for 4 years does not show on the system. Can anyone advise please, I feel gutted as it doesn't make sense to me that a brand new unit purchased this December does not have roads on it that have existed for over 2 years.

Any help much appreciated.

Shynsingh

Can anyone advise please.:confused:

The "latest" map I have on my TomTom also doesnt show a main road opened over 2 years ago or the area around a Tesco which was built about 6 years ago.

I say that if you know where you are going already dont bother with using Sat Nav because it it will only show how bad it is at getting you to places you dont know!

I don't think that your problem is limited to TomTom. I would be surprised if any SatNav had accurate maps for things built recently.

I'm going to look into the feature some of the TomToms are advertising though where you can log on and update maps yourself and load to a central database (my understanding). The problem with that, I would assume, is that it may end up like Wikapedia with incorrect info being put into it.

When I first got Tom Tom...on my PDA , I decided to test it out locally.It directed me down a major one way road that has been one way for as long as I can remember.It also tried to direct me across a bridge that was pedestrianised when I was a teenager(Im 42 now).This is in NW London ,not some rural area.
However ,that seems to be the only time I can remember it being so wrong.Have used it across France and the UK without any similar problems.

Thanks to all for comments, I spent ages yesterday on the tomtom one website, the code that came with my device stated not valid???:eek: the unit was purchased (by cousin) last week of December. (cousin now back in Los Angeles)

I don't find the website very straightforward (probably just me)

I don't fancy any hassle, chasing tomtom, and have resigned myself to keeping the unit and hoping that it isn't too pants.

regards

Can you subscribe to the map share community?, i'm not sure if this is limited to users of the tomtom go 520 and above, but the map share scheme is excellent and allows users to update roads etc that they have seen changes in, and share this info with other users, who download it from the tomtom home website.
Hope this helps.....:)

Thanks to all for comments, I spent ages yesterday on the tomtom one website, the code that came with my device stated not valid???:eek:
The code system has been superseded, if there is a new map available it will be shown in the TomTom home software by going to the file menu and selecting "use latest map guarantee", this will remain available for 30 days from first registration.

Can you subscribe to the map share community?, i'm not sure if this is limited to users of the tomtom go 520 and above, but the map share scheme is excellent and allows users to update roads etc that they have seen changes in, and share this info with other users, who download it from the tomtom home website.
Hope this helps.....:)

Seconded, I've just upgraded from a One v2 to a 720 and the difference is night & day. Being able to actually fill in roads that aren't on the sat nav and send them in to update everyone else's is a brilliant idea.

Seconded, I've just upgraded from a One v2 to a 720 and the difference is night & day. Being able to actually fill in roads that aren't on the sat nav and send them in to update everyone else's is a brilliant idea.

the V2 has the same map share feature if you upgrade to V7 software...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom