1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TOMTOM Bluetooth GPS with Axim X30

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Forest Fan, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Forest Fan

Forest Fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi,

I've recently bought a bluetooth Axim X30 and TOMTOM Navigator 3 Bluetooth GPS and need to find a suitable in-car holder.

Does anybody know of a good in-car holder for the X30 that also has a cable or the ability to charge the TOMTOM bluetooth GPS unit?

The 4A00.130 from TOMTOM is designed for the X30 but I cant find any info on whether it can also charge the GPS unit.

http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpresentation/index.php?product_id=TOMYA03UWI#extendedspecs

Can anyone help?

By the way the latest update for Navigator is version 3.07.

Regards

2. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,450
    Have a look here for car alternative mounts.

I believe that Tom Tom's thinking is that as a fully charged GPS should run for around 5 hours, you shouldn't need to charge it in the car. Having said that, there is a kit here that seems to connect to the RJ11 socket on the Tom Tom car kit that would normally connect to a wired GPS receiver. The kit also includes a replacement mains adapter & a cigar socket charger if you have a second socket available.

3. Forest Fan

Forest Fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks

I could do with finding an alternative mount that also has a loudspeaker as the TOMTOM one doesn't.

I found the answer I was looking for on another forum. There was a cable supplied with the TOMTOM bluetooth GPS labelled 4A00.004. This cable plugs into the GPS unit and the TOMTOM mount. So the TOMTOM car kit will charge the GPS unit as well as the PDA.

It's a pity the TOMTOM car kit doesn't have a speaker.

4. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Most GPS units won't recharge the batteries when run from the cigarette lighter socket - they don't ship with rechargeable batteries.

You can get a cheap charger/ batteries from www.mymemory.co.uk (£18- less than half that Argos charge!).

HTH

www.pocketgps.co.uk is worth a look

5. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,450
    Didn't receive notification of your post on the 18th. If you haven't sorted something already, mounts (including amplified) are reviewed on Pocket GPS here with a forum discussing them & other miscellaneous hardware here.

I think mhuk05 may be confusing your Bluetooth GPS receiver with a handheld all-in-one.

6. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    No I'm not ;)

I have a NavMan 4400 BT GPS. You can run it from the cigarette socket but it doesn't charge your batteries at the same time unless it runs on rechargeable batteries. You can "run" it but not charge it.

7. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
  8. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,450
    Ah, I see. I think that makes the Navman almost unique in that most Bluetooth GPS receivers have ONLY a rechargeable battery as standard.

9. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    ahhh! Now I see :laugh:

This is what pocketgps.co.uk say:

Navman have decided rather than to go for size like other manufacturers, they'll go for pure unadulterated POWER! The specs for this unit is pretty amazing, it runs on 3xAAA batteries and comes supplied with Energizer batteries. Navman quote that this Receiver will run for 30 hours on 3xAAA batteries, which is quite simply staggering! Navman also do supply an in-car power cable so if you don't want to mess around with batteries, you can just permanently supply it juice from the car accessory socket, and if you have one of these in-car that are permanently on when you take your key out of the ignition, then you'll never have to wait for a Cold TTFF again!

Mine ran out yesterday, so am replacing with rechargeable.

I'll get my jacket.... :suicide: