TomTom - backing up the memory card

zorro

Established Member
Reaction score
Just got a new TomTom 510, which comes with a 256mb memory card.

I want to back this up and put the detail onto a 512mb card - to allow for extra voices, maps, etc (the 256mb card only has a few mb's free)

Now here is what I have done so far;

1. put original memory card in the unit and "created a backup" to the PC
2. took out the original memory card and put a new 512mb card into the unit
3. then I "restored" the data from the PC to the new memory card

However, when I then switch the unit back on, it comes up with a message saying;

"this product has not yet been activated"

However, I have already activated it and if I try again, it comes up with an error code which says;

"not the correct code for this product"

Any ideas??

Can I actually use a bigger memory card than was supplied?

There are no hidden system files, so everything should be copying over okay

The card seems to copy over, but when I put it into the unit, it says not activated, yet when I put the activation code in, it tells me it is wrong - but it is not

Yet when I put the original card in, no activation code is required

Any ideas please, cause I have just spent around 3 hours trying to do this and it is driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek:

Hi,
have you tried backing it up using TomTom Home?It might be worth a try using that.
I have gone from the standard 128mb Great Britain sd card to a 1gb for extra maps(Canada and Major Roads of Europe) and have now gone to a 2gb to use in conjunction with Maps of Western Europe dvd and not had a problem with any of them.
I think all I did to back up was connect the TT to the PC and copy all the files through Windows explorer to a folder called TomTom backup(doesn't matter what you call the folder)
I have also just backed up the 2gb using TT Home.
Forgot to say i've got a TomTom Go300.

Hope this helps

Yep - have used the Tomtom Home softwre as well.

Everything seems to have backed up to a 512mb card (it will not entertain the 1gb Datawrite card I just bought :( ), but when I switch the unit back on, it again asks for the activation codes, etc.

Now I have registered with Tomtom and it stores all the codes.

So the activation code I am using is correct.

But it still gives me the message;

"Sorry, this is not the correct activation code for the product GB_plus_major_roads_of_WE"

looks like I will need to contact tomtom direct.

Don't undertsand why it will not take the 1GB card either :( :shrug:

Hi,
I believe some units will only accept certain size memory cards, as you say contact Tom Tom direct or revisite the unit manual it should say how big a card it will accept. I have just backed up my Tom Tom 5, by putting the sd card into a reader on my laptop, open Tom Tom 5 folder and then copy all of the sub folders onto the desktop.
I then put my new 2gig card into the reader and moved all of Tom Tom 5 subfolders on to it.
It all works fine.
Forgot to say my Tom Tom 5 is running on a Mio P550 pda

zorro said:
Yep - have used the Tomtom Home softwre as well.

Everything seems to have backed up to a 512mb card (it will not entertain the 1gb Datawrite card I just bought :( ), but when I switch the unit back on, it again asks for the activation codes, etc.

Now I have registered with Tomtom and it stores all the codes.

So the activation code I am using is correct.

But it still gives me the message;

"Sorry, this is not the correct activation code for the product GB_plus_major_roads_of_WE"

looks like I will need to contact tomtom direct.

Don't undertsand why it will not take the 1GB card either :( :shrug:

any joy from tomtom yet? i havea 510 and would also like to backup to another card!

Nope - they have been totally hopeless.

Hav econtacted them by phone and the person I spoke to did not have a clue.

Said they would send me an e-mail - hey did and that was less than useless

Have again contacted them by e-mail and no reply

Pathetic service really.

if I get anywhere, will let you know

cheers for that i also did a backup earlier to a brand new 512 memory card using tomtom home. everything seemed ok until it said maps needed to be activated, entered my code......said it was wrong:suicide:

You are entering the activation code and not the product or device code aren't you?

SD cards that come with the GO are pre-activated by TomTom, and don't need anything doing. If you want to use a new card (eg a bigger one to allow you to put more maps on) then this new card must be activated, in order to prevent piracy.

The activation code is obtained from www.ttcode.com you put in your product code first (ie the code for your maps, usually found on a sticker attached to the CD or whatever) then you put in your device code (ie the code for your GO, which can be found on the firmware status screen). Using these two, teh website generates an activation code, which effectively ties the maps to the device.

I've upgraded my SD card 2 or 3 times now, and never had any problems using this technique.

Definately entering the activation code.

Tried customer support - but they are less than useless - not even returning my e-mails now

KeithO said:
You are entering the activation code and not the product or device code aren't you?

SD cards that come with the GO are pre-activated by TomTom, and don't need anything doing. If you want to use a new card (eg a bigger one to allow you to put more maps on) then this new card must be activated, in order to prevent piracy.

The activation code is obtained from www.ttcode.com you put in your product code first (ie the code for your maps, usually found on a sticker attached to the CD or whatever) then you put in your device code (ie the code for your GO, which can be found on the firmware status screen). Using these two, teh website generates an activation code, which effectively ties the maps to the device.

I've upgraded my SD card 2 or 3 times now, and never had any problems using this technique.

i never had a problem with my 500, i backed that up to a differant card, but i have the same problem as zorro. As i posted above, everything goes fine until it asks for the activation code then nowt:thumbsdow

Yep - everything I can find confirms that the old 3/5/700 series backed up perfectly - it seems to be the new 510 model that is the problem

I have exactly the same problem. I bought a new TT510 then shelled out another £40- for the DE map as I went to Germany with the family and thought it would be a great opportunity to showcase it to the wife, so she could start using it. (Which I couldn't, as the TT wouldn't recognise the activation code).

I have probably spent at least 50 hours working on this. I have tried pertty much everything I can think of, in every combination I can think of to get the thing working to no avail.
(See http://www.yournav.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7281 for the full story).

I too am in limbo with TomTom support. I have sent them reams and reams of information relating to this problem. Rather than be grateful that someone is providing them with in-depth technical information, their attitude seems to be that reading it is too much trouble and then ask me questions like "Have you tried copying it using Windows Explorer?" Windows Explorer?? WINDOWS EXPLORER! I've tried Windows Explorer, doscopy, xcopy, linux copy, using a memory card reader with no TT at all copy, etc, etc.

Grrrrr! Fantastic product, but this whole product code activation thing is the worst implemented piece of software I've seen in quite a while. Worst of all , this is not new. Here's a thread about Treo owners from last August trying to get TT to work on their Treo's, where people are entering codes every time they turn the device on, where the code never works, where the code sometimes works, etc, etc
http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=90957&page=2&pp=20

I think someone on the forum makes the pointed remark, how can a technology company make a licensing scheme that is so poor?

Anyway, rant/vent over. I have a call logged with TT support, as I mentioned, and if I get any update to this call I'll post it here.

Kind Regards

Mike

Guys

There is now a solution to this;

have a look here;

http://www.expansys.com/forumthread.asp?code=TOMTOMGO&thread=2361&page=4

In summary;

I formatted the new 1gb card

I copied everything from the tomtom card, 1 item at a time - slow, but thought I would try it, to the new card.

Then connected my tomtom to the docking station, with the new card installed

I closed down the tomtom Home application

Then I ran the file from paulsmusic download

Once finsihed I switched off the unit still in the docking station, then removed it

Switched it on a got a message that my maps had been activated!!

I have used it this morning with no problems - no power down or switch offs - works perfectly and leaves around 750mb free on the new card.

All I can say is try the above and hopefully it works for you.

Thanks to paulsmusic!

Tomtom support were and are totally clueless, hopepless and incompetent in what they tried to do for me.

Ok,
Thought I would post up this reply I got back from TomTom
support, on how to upgrade your memory card :)

If you find that you do not have enough space on your TomTom SD card
to install the updates that you require, you will need to purchase a larger SD card.
We recommend that you purchase from your local High Street Electrical
Retailer, a 1 or 2GB High Speed SD card with a minimum read/write speed of 10mb/s or higher.

Once you have purchased the SD card, to copy the contents of the original TomTom SD card to your
new, larger SD card, please do the following:-

STEP 1 Create a Backup Folder

- Connect your TomTom to your computer and switch it on
- On a PC, create a new folder on your desktop and call it 'Backup'

- On a Mac, create a folder on the desktop and call it 'Backup'.

STEP 2 Copy the contents of your TomTom to your Backup Folder

- On a PC, Open 'My Computer', you will see the TomTom as a removable storage device, e.g. TomTom (E:),
double left click into it.
- Click on Edit -> Select All, then click on 'Edit -> Copy'
- Go to your Backup folder on your desktop that you have created, double left click into it and click on 'Edit -> Paste'

- On a Mac, you will see the TomTom device on the Desktop, double click into it.
- Select and copy all of the contents of the TomTom device.
- Go to your backup Folder that you have created and double click into it.
- Paste all the files into the backup folder.

- Once Complete, switch your TomTom off.

STEP 3 Format the New Card

- Insert the new Blank SD card that you have bought into your TomTom.
- Switch your TomTom back on.
- On a PC, go to 'My Computer', you will see the TomTom as a removable disk.
- Right click on the Removable disk and choose 'Format'.
- Proceed with Formatting the SD card.

On a Mac, use Disk Utility. The application can be found under Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility:
Click on Erase from the top middle barthen select the volume format you
want to use. For SD cards to be recognized by the TomTom device, select MS-DOS File System.

STEP 4 Restore the Folders to the TomTom
- Go to your backup folder on your desktop
- Select and copy all of the Folders but NOT the loose files.
- On a PC, go to 'My Computer' and double click into the TomTom device drive
- On a Mac, double click into the TomTom drive on your desktop

- Paste all of the folders into the TomTom (this can take a while, e.g. anything up to
1 hour to complete depending on the device).
- Turn the device off (with the on/off switch) and disconnect it from the computer.
- Switch the TomTom back on.

STEP 5 Install the latest application via TomTom HOME onto your device:

- Install the latest software update via TomTom HOME (see: http://www.tomtom.com/6133)
- Once the update has been installed, disconnect your TomTom by clicking on 'Device -> Disconnect Device' in TomTom Home.
- Turn the device off (with the on/off switch) and disconnect it from the computer.
- Turn the device back on, the update will then install on the device.

Your TomTom should now be working with the new SD card.

Also I below is a link to MyMemories page that shows available
memory cards compatable with the TomTom, please make sure
that you check the info of the cards to get one that has at least
a minimum read/write speed of 10mb/s or higher

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/compatible-memory/GPS/TomTom/TomTom_GO

I hope this helps everyone out =)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom