• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

TomTom 910

twiglet

Standard Member
Hi everyone, i have been looking at the Tomtom one for ages of which my mate has got.it is an excellent bit of kit, the thing is though i think i want more, im a gadget freak and also look for the best of everything. The 910 looks an excellencent bit of kit but is it worth the extra money, should i save money and get the one,310, 510 or the 710...........:D i will be using it for work and also for when i and the misses go to america to see her dad.so come on help me is it worth a look or what!!!!!!!!!!!! p.s are all the probs with the 910 ntrue or what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused: :smashin: :thumbsdow :thumbsup:

oasismark

Distinguished Member
The 910 is the only tomtom model with USA & Canada maps already installed, so save up and get the top model for all your needs.

R

RekalinSimms

If you are a gadget freak, the 910 is definitely the way to go. It's plays mp3s, does all the good GPS stuff, has Bluetooth. It's pretty hard to beat if you like all the bells and whistles.

Safoora1983

Standard Member
Well i've got a Tom Tom One...which is really good as it's simple and easy to use but I suppose if your a 'gadget freak' then I think the 910 is the best one for you. I remember reading that it had some really cool extras like mp3 player.

I got my Tom Tom One through the 'findsatnavdeals.com' site from Currys at a discounted price using special discount vouchers. I know they also had some good prices and deals for other Tom Toms such as the 910 so it worth checking out!

B

britbloke007

I've had my 910 for a week now having ditched my Acer N35 running Tom Tom 5 software and the difference is staggering! It locks onto the satellites in SECONDS and rarely if ever takes a wrong turn. It is an excellent hands free unit (bluetooth) and plays MP3's either on its own or by connecting your iPod (cable supplied).

I got it off ebay for £420 delivered. Worth every penny - and then some.

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
I have a 910 and love it. I used to have a HP PDA with TomTom on and the 910 is miles ahead. The real speech is great at reading out the exact road names on your journey etc..

There are real problems with the 510, 710 & 910 mounts drooping. TomTom have come up with the goods though and a quick 5 minute call to them and they will have a new mount couriered to you for free no questions asked.

:thumbsup:

simon k

I have had a lot of trouble and arguing with Tom Tom over my 910 i bought it back in june from Comet and had the trouble charging in the car mount.

i returned the unit back to Comet a couple of weeks later who refused to exchange it saying i have to return it to direct to the manufacturer ( They now have signs up in store stating they dont exchange or refund faulty910s).

I rang Tom Tom who said they have never had a problem with charging in car mount so i was asked to send the unit and car mount back to them via courier which they arranged through there web-site , This was nearly 4 weeks ago and i am still waiting for my Tom Tom to be returned.

After numerous phone, calls faxes and emails to the complaints department they still insist they are waiting for parts for my Tom Tom not the mount.

I will post when I get my Tom Tom back

twiglet

Standard Member
think u lot have convinced me to get the 910............where is the best place, price to get it from.(excluding comet, had toooooooooooooooooo many problems with them in the past and refuse to buy from them:mad: )

buzzing

twiglet said:
think u lot have convinced me to get the 910............where is the best place, price to get it from.(excluding comet, had toooooooooooooooooo many problems with them in the past and refuse to buy from them:mad: )

At this moment in time PC World has it for £434.96 including vat and del (this is a web exclusive so order it online then collect at your local store). Be sure to pick up the instore magazine too as they have some good promotional vouchers which you will be able to use on future purchases.

Let us know how you get on.

dagamore

Standard Member
how is the POI interface, are you able to add your own locations? if so can you only add them when you are at the locations, or can you add POI's based either on actual address, or by LAT-LONG?
How long does it last when running just the GPS with out the dock plugged in?
do you need a second antenna for the Traffic-Avoidance-Guidance thing to work?

currently i have a Transonic Navi 6000+ and its ok, but the interface could use some work.

subquestions, how easy is it to update the maps (say from default loaded maps, to newer ones) and do they cost anything? and is there any way to export/save the POI or is the Maps and the POI not interlinked at the data level, not the interface level.

B

berks_rg1

I bought a 910 back at the start of June, Have had lots of problems with mounting and it switching off etc over bumps . The biggest issue I have is it not locking onto sats even though it find say 12 with a good signal. Software update 6.11 fixes the switching off issues.

Support have had the device and mount collected by UPS and are currently fixing it although apparently they have such a backlog they expect it to take around 3 weeks or so, I spoke to TT Support yesterday and they told me they have staff working 7 days a week trying to clear the backlog of devices in for repair and are even trying to recruit extra staff to fix it, my device has been with them for 4 days so far and they havent even got round to opening the box as no confirmation email from them to say its arrived even though UPS delivered thursday morning last week.

N.B. If they fix the GPS Locking issues and the Mount I will be VERY impressed as other features of the device are Excellent :lease:

B

berks_rg1

dagamore said:
subquestions, how easy is it to update the maps (say from default loaded maps, to newer ones) and do they cost anything? and is there any way to export/save the POI or is the Maps and the POI not interlinked at the data level, not the interface level.

The Poi are stored as seperate files in the Directory of the map you downloaded them for. You could back the whole directory up including the map files.

Not having done it yet but I would assume a newer map would just involve copying the new files to the device ( Easy )

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom