TomTom 730 Sat Nav turning off

Shade187

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello

I have a TomTom 730 sat nav which is around 20 months old. I have never had any problems with it before but I have noticed on the last 3 trips I have used it on, that it keeps shutting itself off. It comes up with a message on the screen that counts down from 10 seconds & it basically says to press cancel to stop the shutdown. Of course I always press cancel & then about 5-10 minutes later the same thing happens again. :eek:

It has the latest maps which I downloaded a week ago but it was turning itself off prior to this.

Does anyone know what could be causing this & if it will be a expensive repair?

Thank you all in advance

Does it have a feature that automatically shuts it down if the power supply is cut off? If so the plug could be loose in the lighter socket.

Thank you for your reply. I have checked the power socket (I'm using a USB lead for my car) and it's attatched correctly to the sat nav and the charging light also comes on as normal.

It turned itself off 4 times today. I did reset the sat nav this morning as I thought this may sort the problem out, but unfortunately it made no difference.

Does anyone else have a similar problem or know what could be causing this?

Thank you again

Did you notice if the charging/power light is on or off when the shutdown screen appears?

I'm not sure about that but I know when it shuts down the charging light goes off.

Sounds like a problem with the power supply or circuit. Try using the car charger and see if it still does it. Does the unit charge/work normally outside of the car? (Just wondering if there is a loose connection internally and jolts whilst travelling may be causing power to be cut.)

Turning off the feature in battery saving preferences will stop the shutdown process but won't address the cause of the problem.

Unfortunately, my car charger doesn't fit my sat nav. I have a manual charger which I can plug into a plug socket but apart from that it's the USB lead. I asked a guy to have a look at it for me (he repairs sat navs) & he thought it could be the car windscreen affecting the signal & told me to put the sat nav as close to the window as possible. I did this but the same thing happened. :rolleyes:

The only time I've used it outside of the car was when I was updating it & it was attatched to my pc. It worked fine & didn't shut down.

What battery saving feature would this be & where can I locate it? I think you'll probably right about the power supply problem, it would make sense. Thank you again

Unfortunately, my car charger doesn't fit my sat nav. I have a manual charger which I can plug into a plug socket but apart from that it's the USB lead ... The only time I've used it outside of the car was when I was updating it & it was attatched to my pc. It worked fine & didn't shut down.
Where do you plug the other end of the USB lead into? It could equally be a problem with this power output, or the lead itself.

What battery saving feature would this be & where can I locate it? I think you'll probably right about the power supply problem, it would make sense. Thank you again
According to the manual it is in the menus under "Change Preferences":

Battery saving preferences
This button may only be available if all menu options are shown. To show all
menu options, tap Show ALL menu options. For more information, see Hidden buttons and features on page 48.

Tap this button to configure your GO to conserve power when possible. The following options are available:
• Never turn off screen
• Turn off screen between instructions
• Always turn off screen
Then select whether or not you want to Switch off when external power is lost.

Sorry for the late reply. The usb lead is new & it plugs into the car.

Thank you so much for your help. You have been a great help. I will change the preferences now & see how it goes. Hopefully this will sort my problem out. Thank you! :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom