• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Tomtom 730 and 730T - whats the difference?

buzzing

Hi everyone,

I wanted to know what the difference is between the Tomtom 730 and Tomtom 730T, is it an inbuilt traffic receiver or an TMC add-on, which means that you can just buy a 730 and a seperate TMC reciever.

I would rather have the TMC built in - is it HD too and has anybody used it? Is it really worth the hype that Tomtom are making?

Cheers..

hot-fuzz

Banned
The 730T has an extra TMC module. It isnt built in, it comes on a long lead that you spread across your dash.
You dont need to pay for a monthly subscritpion, but it does cost a fair few ££'s.

hot-fuzz

Banned
whats the difference between the 930/730/530 other than the maps, I can't find much on these?

i think teh 930/730 have a different Operating System and use the new "best route" mode which means it calculates more "inteligently" picking roads frequently used rather than random roads for shortest distance.

Worth an upgrade when the price drops. i have having to pick fastest route then immediatley calculate an alternative to not ALWAYS go on the sodding M25.

KeithO

i think teh 930/730 have a different Operating System and use the new "best route" mode which means it calculates more "inteligently" picking roads frequently used rather than random roads for shortest distance.

Worth an upgrade when the price drops. i have having to pick fastest route then immediatley calculate an alternative to not ALWAYS go on the sodding M25.
Yeah but that's firmware related, not hardware. The same functionality is available on other models

Jonny T

Standard Member
Yeah but that's firmware related, not hardware. The same functionality is available on other models

That's true - I called Tomtom and they said that even the GO 520 can actually be fully upgraded to the GO 930T - the only issue is a TMC reciever (£32ish) and new maps and new software - (unless u 'find' the maps and software on the net!) - and the fact that one is silver and the other is black... other than that they are the same machine.

Tomo1971

Banned
So much dis-information.

930/730/530 are mostly the same.

930 has EU and USA maps
730 has EU maps
530 has UK maps

Each has different size flash memory (that holds the maps) but all have expansion slots if you do upgrade the maps beyond the flash memory limits.

930 has EPT which is a solid state gyroscope thingy, should help locate you when there is no GPS signal (tunnels/built up areas). They all have the same op system (Navcore 8). 930 also has remote control but that can be bought as an accessory for 530 and 730.

All x30's have lane guidance and IQ routes.

The TMC reciever is an add on, not in-built. HD traffic not yet available in UK, only NL.

All have text to speech etc

Steve

ging6996

Standard Member
The 730T has an extra TMC module. It isnt built in, it comes on a long lead that you spread across your dash.
You dont need to pay for a monthly subscritpion, but it does cost a fair few ££'s.

so does the 730 and 730t do traffic. and do they do them without that rds module.

Red55555555

i have the 730t,the 730 & 730t(raffic) are the same thing, but the 730t(raffic) comes with the TMC reciever, the 730 doesn't so won't do traffic out of the box, you have to buy the TMC reciever seperatly if you want traffic. Now that's out of the way, the TMC reviever uses RDS signals to recieve it's traffic updates, however this is only every half an hour or so, so the information is not very accurate, but it still works quite well.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom