• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

TomTom 720 (T or not to T)

oasismark

Distinguished Member
Is the difference in the T version just the extra Ariel for the traffic updates?

Just looking into getting a tomtom as my incar satnav has bust.

720 look the best as i want europe, and its got great features for under £200.

Don't think i'd use the traffic thing much, also is it true even without the extra aerial, i can still get updates through my mobile phone?

If so how does this work? does it use up data that i will be charged for?

Naqv

Prominent Member
Why not just get TomTom One XL Europe for ~£150? but yeah, T comes with an aerial and traffic updates (I do not know if you are charged for this service).

lads2000

Established Member
The T Version is just the ariel that is the only difference.
You can get the updates through your mobile at cost. The ariel just means you get the updates for free over the fm signal.

Hope this makes sense

jparton

Established Member
The general consensus seems to be that the RDS method of receiving free traffic updates is VERY patchy in the UK at the moment due to the low power the signals are transmitted over (The aerial supplied with "T" models is to receive these signals) For a detailed break down take a look at this forum:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=55

If you don't mind paying a little extra, then traffic via your mobile seems to be the most reliable method at the moment, but you will need a compatible bluetooth phone, pay TT for a sub, and pay your mobile phone company for the GPRS data used.

yyith

Standard Member
Traffic packs give a lifetimes subscription to free traffic data over the RDS-TMC network. The updates are usually every 15 minutes or can be more frequent where more than one station transmits the data. Your TomTom dynamically reacts to the traffic data to reroute you on a optimised route.

Traffic data is still availalbe through your bluetooth phone on the XL and GO models but costs £30 per year. GPRS services have a wider signal coverage than TMC so for customer living in northern Scotland, Wales, or a few black spots then they will be better off with phone based traffic updates. For those in normal areas then the cost will probably mean they want TMC and finally traffic is a product you can sell from store.

One funky feature of the new traffic system on the new GO models is that when you recieve a new traffic update that alters the delays on your route then you will find that the TomTom asks you if you want it to optimise your route as wait for you to say verbally either "Yes" or "No".

/yyith

oasismark

Distinguished Member
Thanks for all the replies but miraculasly my incar satnav started working over the weekend, after 2 weeks of not working.

Strange but happy now.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom