1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TomTom 3 Bluetooth/GPRS/GPS question...

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by SimonO, Jul 28, 2004.

1. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I've recently purchased an Axim X30 with Bluetooth support and I want to add TomTom Navigator 3 with the GPRS Traffic add-on... Assuming that I will need to use the X30's Bluetooth to connect to my phones GPRS, should I go for the hard wired GPS receiver or will I be able to use a Bluetooth GPS reciever as well as the Bluetooth GPRS phone connection..? I read somewhere that Bluetooth will support up to seven simultaneous connections however will this affect performance in my proposed setup..? Confused..! :confused:

2. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Sorry!!! Found the answer on the TomTom website... :blush:

3. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Okay, I bought TomTom 3 with wired GPS and it's great, however I now want to add TomTom Traffic... Can someone on O2 please help me out with the GPRS settings as I'm struggling... I'm using WM2003 SE on a Dell Axim X30 (BT/WiFi) > Nokia 6310i > O2 and I can connect to the O2 WAP portal via GPRS okay so I know GPRS is working, however I think the settings need to be changed to mobile??? Bluetooth also seems to be working okay but as soon as I use IE it says dialing (BT modem) and then modem not found, connection failed??? The dial-up networking is asking me for a phone number which can't be right, can it??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

HELP PLEASE!!!

4. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Sorted... Thanks Taz!!! :clap:

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    What's TRAFFIC....Is it a re-router due to jams package?

Incidentally slightly off topoic but funny. I was down in London last week seeing clients and had occasion to be going anticlockwse around M25 around JCT23/22. Hear on traffic report that it was closed over two lanes at jct16 with large queues so I tapped in avoid M25. TOMTOM did a re-route and took me off at next jct, then took me back on going clockwise...... I was going to Surrey so presumed it was gong to take me through central London and out A3....BUT NO. The TOM TOM solution to avod the M25 was to take me the other direction all the way around M25, over Dartford Bridge to JCT12!....NUTS....

Gordon

6. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hello Gordon... Yes, Traffic gives you real time 'incidents' via GPRS on the TomTom map and then gives you the option to re-route... If you've got GPRS running (which was a nightmare for me) then just go onto the TomTom website and sign up for the free three month trial... No details of future pricing yet, but at least you can try it out...

I agree that TomTom's alternative routes can be a little strange however assuming you don't blindly follow all it's recommendations I think overall it's very good... Mine you, anything's better than my wife with a map!!!

7. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pricing is 49 euros / year which is about £30.

Having used it from the first day of trial release, I'm not updating my subscription, as the data it uses isn't that great, and I've sat in far to many jams when TTT says no incidents.

To improve routing characteristics, under Properties, Advanced tab, scroll down to automatic re-planning and set calcualtion to Strict. It checks more roads thsi way and gives better results (but is slower)