Tom's Thumbs: Coming to Netflix in November 2020

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
AVForums movie reviewer Tom Davies previews the most promising and notable movies and TV shows coming to Netflix in November 2020.

00:00:00 - Welcome
00:00:35 - Paranormal TV series preview
00:01:28 - The Minions of Midas TV series preview
00:02:22 - Dawson's Creek TV series
00:02:56 - Carmel - who killed Marta Maria crime documentary TV series
00:03:10 - The Crown TV series
00:04:03 - The Life Ahead movie (starring Sophia Loren) preview
00:05:00 - Hillbilly Elegy movie preview
00:06:10 - Human Nature documentary movie
00:06:34 - Blended movie
00:06:38 - Spongebob Squarepants - Sponge On The Run movie
00:06:53 - Spider-man - Into The Spider-verse movie review
00:08:00 - Sorry To Bother You movie review

Ah, suddenly reminded of the Terry Thomas and Peter sellers Tom Thumb film. One that made my mum and me cry with laughter - remember when films did that?!

Anyway, @Tom Davies I agree, Sorry To Bother You is well worth it, what with it's healthy dose of cynicism and twisty reality of how it is.
Spidey is something to behold visually - that is, if it doesn't confuse people into hunting out their 3D spec's - and fun in an albeit Benneton set.
You might find a niche in 'rank movies'.

I'm not sure of its release date but there is an abstract looking animated limited series called The Liberator, Netflix have labelled it a ground breaking animation experience but to my mind the series will potentially leave the viewer to ponder why reasonable money was spent filming what must be presumed to be live action scenes with real actors and then put the whole finished production through an expensive frame by frame animation process, it seems like over kill for what could have been a standard old fashioned WWII U.S. action hero yarn, something not often seen nowadays, except for B and C grade straight to video productions .
I guess animation does offer a chance for including some artistic license, adding scenes that would be highly expensive to recreate on location, adding CGI without complicated editing, including pyrotechnics that would increase the budget.
Even though on the surface it looks like mediocre version of the Dirty Dozen genre, my curiosity will have me watching this series.

I'm not sure of its release date but there is an abstract looking animated limited series called The Liberator, Netflix have labelled it a ground breaking animation experience but to my mind the series will potentially leave the viewer to ponder why reasonable money was spent filming what must be presumed to be live action scenes with real actors and then put the whole finished production through an expensive frame by frame animation process, it seems like over kill for what could have been a standard old fashioned WWII U.S. action hero yarn, something not often seen nowadays, except for B and C grade straight to video productions .
I guess animation does offer a chance for including some artistic license, adding scenes that would be highly expensive to recreate on location, adding CGI without complicated editing, including pyrotechnics that would increase the budget.
Even though on the surface it looks like mediocre version of the Dirty Dozen genre, my curiosity will have me watching this series.
I have a lot of time for the look and style of rotoscoped stuff. As an aesthetic it's pretty cool and it's a good way of going for that 'heightened reality' effect. Undone on Prime was the best use of it I've seen in years.
The flip side is that sometimes it falls into pointlessness or self indulgence (looking at you, Waking Life.)

I'm not feeling this one. Happy to be proved wrong but the animation here feels more like a gimmick rather than something that's integral to the storytelling. Especially as the style of it in the trailer is pretty low intervention.

Story's good though and it got some great writers so who knows?

Edit: Release date is 11/11/20

Ah, suddenly reminded of the Terry Thomas and Peter sellers Tom Thumb film. One that made my mum and me cry with laughter - remember when films did that?!
I can’t recall watching anything for years, be it TV programme or film, that made me cry with laughter. Those days are long gone.

Don't have Netflix, just here to show support! :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom