Tomorrow's Worlds: The Unearthly History Of Science Fiction

Just thought I'd bump this as I thought the first episode, "Space" was quite poor and unengaging, but I rather enjoyed the second, "Invasion".

And there was a warning about strong language beforehand, but I didn't hear anything?:confused: Mind you, there should've been a warning instead about the shock of seeing Karen Gillan with cropped hair!:eek:

It still seems like a programme that's caught between two stools - not enough there to persuade new converts to the merits of the genre, and too little that's new or original to appeal to aficionados.

Oh well, it's better than nothing at all. Would still like to see fewer white males as the voice of authority in this field too (or is it authoritah?!).

Last edited:
Just thought I'd bump this as I thought the first episode, "Space" was quite poor and unengaging, but I rather enjoyed the second, "Invasion".

And there was a warning about strong language beforehand, but I didn't hear anything?:confused: Mind you, there should've been a warning instead about the shock of seeing Karen Gillan with cropped hair!:eek:

It still seems like a programme that's caught between two stools - not enough there to persuade new converts to the merits of the genre, and too little that's new or original to appeal to aficionados.

Oh well, it's better than nothing at all. Would still like to see fewer white males as the voice of authority in this field too (or is it authoritah?!).

Yes, agree with your post, despite good contributors etc, there wasn't anything for the Sci-Fi fan beyond a few talking heads.

And not including The Day The Earth Stood Still ?? shocking !!

Tinights is running about an hour late due to snooker so extend your recordings if you can.

Funny my timer recorded from the right time it was suppose to be shown but stayed on till it finished.
Surprised they did not include The Forbin Project when they mentioned computers taking over, and then Skynet.

Been pressing red button from 10.30 and can only get text up. even when to the red button channel and nothing. Pressed red Button and back to BBC1:(

Been pressing red button from 10.30 and can only get text up. even when to the red button channel and nothing. Pressed red Button and back to BBC1:(

I first noticed something on the red button service on Saturday. It just said Science Fiction but when I pressed it it came up with the football results show. :( I saw it again last night and the proper show came up. It was already part way through so I started recording it in the hope that it would be repeated immediately afterwards. Unfortunately I only caught the end and it wasn't repeated. The title came up as My Life In Science Fiction on my recording.

There are three episodes on iPlayer and one of them uses the same poster as TW:TUHOSF.

BBC iPlayer - My Life in Science Fiction - 2. Invasion of the Fans

Bri

Still enjoying this, but it is pretty lightweight.

I found myself watching 'robots' and wondering if it had been a BBC Three show called "Top 20 Sci-fi Robots", with a voice over by Robert Webb and talking heads from 2nd tier British comedians (and, of course, Paul Ross), would it have been much of a downgrade ?

I do think this that memories of this show will very quickly be lost in time.....like tears....in rain ;)

MB

The only thing I will remember from it is seeing the faces of some great authors.

I'm still waiting for Nathan Fillion to turn up, as the Beeb are using his face to advertise the show...

Its not much if you miss it its just a few fans talking about there love for sci-fi last about 15 min. And one of the guys looks like Bri's avatar.:D

Thought he gone of the plot with the one on time travel, started talking about futuristic scenes rather than time travel itself. And a warning to fast wind if you not seen Looper as he heavily hints how it ends. He seems to have an obsession with Blade Runner.
And first time travel film I thought of he only showed as a picture but showed a scene from the remake. ie The Time Machine.

^^ agreed, whilst I love Blade Runner it seemed shoehorned in as nothing to do with time travel. Surely 75pc of all science fiction involves the future.

I happen to love the original Time Machine and as such have never managed to watch the 2002 version.

Enjoyable enough series though, even if not much to it.

MB

If your talking about time travel films George Pal's, 1960's The Time Machine with Rod Taylor is where you start not some poor version made over 40 years later.
And not only did he re introduce Blade Runner he did Metropolis.
As you say most sci fi films are set in the future but this was about time travel. He could have mentioned Time After Time where HG Wells was the main character.

^^ Yes, the whole 'cities of the future' section seemed like a way of inserting more Blade Runner and Metropolis pieces. it's a shame really as i think that really let down the episode.

I'm no sci-fi expert (i couldn't tell you the episode names of Doctor Who or Star Trek), I just enjoy the genre.

But not having 'The day the earth stood still' in the invasion episode and not having the 1960's 'The time machine' in the time travel episode seem obvious mistakes to me.

Still, i like DS as a presenter.

MB

The programmes are OK but science fiction should be more than OK.

But not having 'The day the earth stood still' in the invasion episode and not having the 1960's 'The time machine' in the time travel episode seem obvious mistakes to me.

Still, i like DS as a presenter.

MB
Wasn't this in the episode where we had Close Encounters and ET? If so I agree as it was one of the few benevolent (semi benevolent at worst) invaders and much could have been made of Klaatu being Christ like.

Time Travel without a mention of Behold the Man !! the mind boggles are religious themes out of limits in these Oh so sensitive times..

There should have been 5 episodes and one dealing with the Future and then he could have Metropolis in that again rather than sticking it in Time Travel, and some dystopian view of it as well.

Very entertaining series overall, even if it was a bit all over the place with regard to the subject matters of each episode.

Nathan Fillion never did turn up. :(

Very entertaining series overall, even if it was a bit all over the place with regard to the subject matters of each episode.

Nathan Fillion never did turn up. :(
From the first post what should have been in it and came under Space:

In addition, the program looks at the way Dune and The Mars Trilogy embraced the challenge of world building and discusses the appeal of the beaten up ‘dirty space’ of Dark Star and Firefly. From the horrifying scenes of Alien, to the epic spectacle of Star Wars, this is a journey to the stars and the alien encounters that await us there.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Wasn't this in the episode where we had Close Encounters and ET? If so I agree as it was one of the few benevolent (semi benevolent at worst) invaders and much could have been made of Klaatu being Christ like.

Indeed and I think there was a reference to aliens telling mankind where they were going wrong i.e. the basic story of 'the day the earth stood still', yet still no mention. Although based on the time travel one, maybe they would have only mentioned the remake anyway ?

MB

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom