1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tomorrow picking up an Hitachi 42PD7200

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by bluecupra, Sep 14, 2005.

1. bluecupra

bluecupra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

After several weeks of reading plasma TV reviews i have chosen for the Hitachi 42PD7200. Last week i was considering bying an 42PD6600 but think i am better off with an 7200. The screen looks so much better then the 6600 that i am willing to pay the extra cost. I have read in the manual that it needs an grounded wallsocket? Is this true?

Can't wait to see the picture on my wall tomorrow evening :clap:

Jeffrey

2. bluecupra

bluecupra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In another post i have read that i could do without. My only problem is that the nearest grounded wallsocket is lockated in my kitchen.. and thats not the place this screen is going to be set up :rotfl:

3. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    You will not be disappointed with your purchase. I have mine 2 weeks now and I could be happier - I have my dvd player, pc/laptop, sky, xbox all hooked up and it is just a wonderful experience. The picture quality is simply amazing and a relief especially after reading so many negative views on general plasma quality.

Enjoy!!!

4. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,565
    I'm not familiar with the Hitachi but the most likely reason will be that it has some kind of Surge Protector built in. So if you use it in an ungrounded socket it won't work properly and you will leave your expensive telly exposed...

I'm quite shocked to hear that you have ungrounded sockets in your property at all. I'd strongly advice from a safety perspective to have that rectified....I wouldn't want to risk of electric shock or fire if equipment goes faulty....

5. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Surely you have 3 pin plugs? One of those is the earth pin, so wouldn't that imply that it's grounded?

6. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    i got the impression thats what he meant, a standard 3 pin plug, i.e. one of them being the earth, which means it is grounded.

7. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,565
    Not quite, it just means it is a three pin plug or socket...That doesn't mean the middle-one is connected....The oldest trick in the book in UK property, instead of doing a rewire, just put new sockets in the house....Always take them off the wall and light switches too to double check...

But I guess only Bluecupra could tell the true story....

8. bluecupra

bluecupra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I forgot to mention i live in the Netherlands. The reseller told me it doesn't need an ground.

At the moment i am hanging the screen on the wall, will post some pictures later :thumbsup: :clap:

9. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Quite a few countries around the world don't require an earth, USA included (but probably 110V, a 55V shock rarely kills).
    Earth is not necessary, unless the chassis goes live.
    And like I said in another post on the same subject, an 8ft pole rammed into the ground will probably do the job anyway, because the average earth in our systems is rubbish.

10. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,565
    Holland is odd, I know as I am Dutch, a house will typically have both type of sockets...Earthed and unearthed.....Earthed ones are mainly to be found in the kitchen and bathrooms and outside, for obvious reasons....

The rest of the house is considered to be 'protected' by the consumer unit which for as long as I can remember 35 years at least contain resetable circuit breakers etc. Not like the old-fashioned rubbish that is even in my 10 year old house in the UK....

I'm glad you got it all right bluecupra....

11. zero_cool

zero_cool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey bluecupra, have you got it up and running yet? I just had a look at this plasma online and it looks very impressive!

12. bluecupra

bluecupra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello,

I have got the screen up and running. The PQ is really amazing. I have seen the screen in several stores and was good. Now it's on my wall with just one good digital signal the image is crystal clear. After reading some reviews i didn't no what to expect. But i am really impressed and happy with it. I will post some pictures tonight (am at work at the moment).

As dejongj said in Holland there are only grounded sockets in the bathroom and kitchen, therefor i have plugged the screen in an normal (not earthed) walloutlet.

Jeffrey

13. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Yeah - post them up

I was thinking of mounting mine - but haven't seen one done as yet and would be interested in seeing what it looked like compared to just having it on the stand.

14. zero_cool

zero_cool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That sounds good Jeffrey. I have ordered a Samsung PS42S5HX and it should be with me on Sunday. I am a bit worried that it will not be very good as it has received very mixed reviews. If it is rubbish I might go for something like this instead.

Look forward to seeing the pics of it.

Would you be able to tell me a little about what you have connected to it? And on what sort of interfaces? Do you have a scaler attached?

15. bluecupra

bluecupra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have atached several pictures off the screen (they aren't the best quality but you can get an impression how it looks wall mounted

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/bluecupra/42PD7200/DSCF1588Large.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/bluecupra/42PD7200/DSCF1589Large.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/bluecupra/42PD7200/DSCF1592Large.jpg

Zerocool; I have an digital decoder (AV1), Sony DVD player (AV2)(Composite) connected to the screen. THe PQ is very sharp and detailed. I am one happy customer :clap: Questions, just ask :thumbsup:

16. Dave911

Dave911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    According to the manual it states the appliance must be earthed - however that is in the UK version but I cannot see reference to it in other versions.

I would suggest with any piece of electrical equipment which has exposed metal parts should be earthed - but nowadays the majority of new appliances are double insulated which precludes the need for earthing. The way to tell is that somewhere on the appliance will be a small symbol of 2 squares (one inside each other), this indicates that it is double insulated.

As you live outside the UK, earthing is treated differently but it is safe or should be if it is installed up the regulations. If your property has an Residual Current Device (RCD) fitted to the supply either on the main consumer unit or supplying the consumer unit then you are safe. To put it simply this piece of equipment monitors the the flow of electricity coming in and going out - which should always be the same, if it is not it trips - so if some of your incoming electricity is flowing to earth the RCD will detect this and it will cut the supply.

The other thing to check is see if your TV has the earth connected to the plug that it comes with - if it is then I would suggest that the manufacturers think it may be a good idea to earth it.

Hope some of this info helps

17. zero_cool

zero_cool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey Jeffrey,
    The set up looks really good in those pictures. Very nice!

Mine arrived yesterday. Straight out of the box it was disgusting. Colour levels all over the place, banding, etc, etc. It has been on for around 20 hours and looks much much better. Starting to run in now I think, but as I have never owned a plasma before, did not really know what to expect.

Do you (or anybody else) know why it is that you buy a widescreen TV and a widescreen DVD and set it all up to be widescreen and then have the black lines at the top and bottom?! Mine is really bad. Unless you set it to zoom the 2 lines combined take up about half the screen! Is this because widescreen is a lie and film makers use a completely different format?

18. Thxfan

Thxfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi zero cool,
    the reason you are still getting black bars on your screen is because films are shot in a range of aspect ratios, from 1.66:1 to 2.35:1, meaning the width of the picture is nearly two and a half times the height of the picture for 2.35:1, so the only way to get the complete width of the picture on your screen is to reduce the size of the picture, hence the black bars. In other words if they made the height fit your screen, you would be losing nearly half the picture off the sides! Hope that helps!

Barry

19. StinkyPete

StinkyPete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Barry,

Is there any valid reason why they make films with these ratios. I'm sure there must be, and if there is a choice of aspect ratios, which ratio fits a wide screen tv/plasma.

Thanks

Mike

20. bluecupra

bluecupra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

The aspect ratio wich fits an widescreen TV best is 16:9. Any other size will give black bars on the screen

Jeffrey

21. mjm2705

mjm2705

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Next time your at the cinema (could be a wile thanks to the plasma, eh ;) ) check out the ratio of the projection screen ... its 2.35:1 or there abouts ie very wide.

2.35:1 films fill that screen. When they play films in 1.85:1, the cinema tends to leave the screen curtains slighly closed so you don't notice that some of the creen ain't being used.

Widescreen TV's are 1.85:1 (16:9) as this is a good comprimise and allows the wider fils to be shown with some black borders.

Why some fils are in 2.35:1 ??? Some Directors prefer it ... I prefer it at the cinema and don't mind it on the plasma !

22. StinkyPete

StinkyPete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Thanks guys

23. zero_cool

zero_cool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I see what you mean. I was having a look at my DVDs last night and noticed that difference in format. Even using 1:85:1 I still have to set my plasma to Zoom setting in order to fill the screen. Guess that is normal.

Thanks for the help.

24. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Only normal for a letterboxed 1.85:1 movie, if it says on the back anamorphic or 'enhanced for widescreen tv's' or something similar then you shouldn't need to set to zoom.

This makes me think that perhaps your dvd player is not set correctly. If you go to your dvd players setup menu, there should be an option there for the output format. Usually it's one of 3, 4:3, 4:3 pan & scan, or 16:9. You need to make sure that the 16:9 option is selected.

*edit*
    Looking at your previous post where you say that the black bars take up half the screen defiantely makes me think it's the setup of your dvd player. Even a 2.35:1 movie shouldn't have bars that are half the height of the screen.

25. zero_cool

zero_cool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just as you said that bishman I think I know what it is. The DVD player I am using at the moment is my XBox and that is still set up for my old LCD.

Still got a Denon DVD player coming today (hopefully) so can use that from now on.

Thanks a lot for your help.

26. robo989

robo989
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    LOL, how misguided you all are.

1. The reason films are shot in 2.35:1 is to squeeze more people in a cinema (In my opinion) and because apparently the eye takes in more width than height. According to the movie studios the ratio should go even higher.

Personally think thats a load of tosh, and these "creative" people with their wide\super-pan\ultra lens crap should go stuff it up their rear end. 16:9, I can appreciate, unless you have a screen of at least 60" a ratio any higher is just annoying.

2. Stop worrying about your "earth"\"ground" problem. You sound way too paranoid, do you worry that there is a chance you could fall down the stairs in the morning and break your neck every day?

No? Thought not, honestly you sound like "Mr Fussy" from the "Mr Men" books. A quick check to see if you are being fussy is to ask yourself if you've ever been tempted to polish and egg or straighten the grass on your lawn with some tweezers.

27. Matt.Wild

Matt.Wild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    2.35:1 is shot to allow a more cinematic look. It allows for more to be fitted in on screen at one and looks far more dramatic than a film shot at 1.78:1 (which is 16:9 which will entirely fill your set unlike 1.85:1 which will leave tiny black bars).

It tends to be uber budget movies that use 2.35:1 or wider (Fight club was shot at 2.40:1) as obviously there is a wider view so costs more for special effects.

Widescreen was originally invented to make a difference from TV and create a pull to the cinema early on in the life of TV's as they threatened to take cinema's thunder!

What is it with black bars that are so bad anyway? I'd rather watch a movie in the way the director intended rather than hack chunks off the side!

28. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Exactly. :thumbsup:

29. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I don't think you could break your neck every day, you'd probably die on the first or second accident.

30. Matt.Wild

Matt.Wild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    :rotfl: :D