Tommo's Living Room pelmet

Ah, I'm sure you'll have yours finished well before I've even got mine past 'committee stage'! SWMBO pulled a face when I said ''you know that pelmet idea''...:rolleyes:

Just to confirm, you've got mf C studs going horizontally into U channel innermost, but is that more U on the wall, or 'track' (or is that the same thing? :confused:)

And then timber batten into the joists with timber hangers for the U channel.

Cheers

Edit: feel free to tell me to bog off bothering you :facepalm:

Last edited:
No by all means please keep the questions coming. I can live vicariously through your build.

Maybe the best way to picture the construction is like this, imagine a normal stud wall with U channel on the top and bottom and the studs slotting into place vertically. Then if you were lift the whole wall and hold it horizontally above your head and fix the bottom U channel to the wall that's basically it. The studs are now running horizontally so need support from above.

One thing I did before starting was to buy one piece of U channel and a stud from Wickes (approx. £10) just to have a play around to see what works and how stuff fits together. You soon realize how strong it is.

Another tip make sure you measure twice and cut once as shaving a bit of the end of a stud is really hard as the studs can deform at the ends. You will see what I mean the first time you try to cut the end. They do bend back into shape, but just a bit of a pain.

Thanks, that's what I thought but good to know for sure.
measure twice and cut once
Yep. I learnt that one myself too long ago to mention.

Am in the middle of putting in 'floating ' alcove shelves - battens with a ply top sheet and mdf bottom. Of course the walls aren't at right angles and they're bowed to boot.

Cutting wrong would be an uncaulkable disaster. Good job I can scribe reasonably well.

Thanks again, and get well soon!

That's great to hear. Can't imagine what it must be like. I'm still recovering from a couple of ops myself, but nothing life threatening thank goodness.

Got these up today:
20191105_212856 - Copy.jpg

They need sanding/filling/painting but they'll help make good use of the alcove. Nice and sturdy too.

Pelmet planning starts next. That will really help tidy the look of the room - and hide lots of 'stuff': pj screen, pj HDMI and ethernet cables, those rear speaker wires (just visible in back right corner of the pic).

So, lots of measuring coming up. If it goes ahead (SWMBO is still a little unconvinced) I'll have to start a build thread.

Yeah right!

Done, as in totally finished - Norfolk Enchants.

Up and working, hmmm, it's doable if I get my skates on. After all, it's just a copy of a design - what can go wrong :rotfl:

Biggest issue will be the borrowed lights over the double doors - will need to interrupt the pelmet for those I think. Or just pelmet right over them.

As I am sure you know, you have to adapt your plans as you go along. I am a very much build a prototype to see what works so a few mock ups might help with the planning. I did a number of CAD drawings before hand but it was only when I got the MDF fixed to the wall did I appreciate the spacing of the lights. My original spacing, whilst mathematically correct just didn’t look right once the lights were dry fitted as it were.

Yep I reckon I'm the same - I do sketches/plans to help think things through but will get some materials on the wall to see exactly how it'll work.

Lighting is tricky - so many choices. It's one of the main reasons for the pelmet. It needs to have some form of downlight but likely also needs a horizontal light going into the centre of the room. I could then get rid of the central pendant light and put up a shallow dark stretch ceiling box (maybe that could have its own lights facing outward) in front of the projector screen.

Darkening the ceiling area in front of the pj screen seems make a good bit of difference, and is more family-friendly than black velour on all surfaces.

The kids would no doubt like it if I made it into some sort of 'bat-cave space adventure' room (they liked those 'starry' ceilings that some people fit into their cinema rooms) but Mrs Supersonic not so much.

Star ceilings are great, made one myself in my last dedicated room but not right for the living room sadly.

Not sure if anyone is still interested in this thread but I have finally got round to restarting. Been doing other things during the pandemic including a cabin and potting shed in the garden.

image.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom