Tomb Raider (Unreal Engine 5)

Spiderpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crystal Dynamics have confirmed they’ve started development of Tomb Raider using Unreal Engine 5.

122BDF91-292C-4835-BB37-DBB23EBD19F4.jpeg

Good to see that Crystal Dynamics are back in the driving seat. Shadow was OK but not as good as the 2013 Tomb Raider and Rise, something was missing under Eidos Montreal. It's in the early stages of development apparently, so it's going to be a while before release, hopefully though that means it will be fully current console gen and not held back by being cross gen.

I still think it's going to be a couple of years at least until we see the true performance of the next gen systems in terms of both speed and graphics.

What I want most out of the next Tomb Raider is a good story and good stealth combat.

True but it's going to be 2024 at least before this game is out, so it should be able to take full advantage of current gen tech. It's already been 18 months since PS5/Series X launched.

UE5 is out of this world, judging by that demo they released. Any games using this engine to its full capability will be amazing.

UE5 is out of this world, judging by that demo they released. Any games using this engine to its full capability will be amazing.
If the hardware can support it well enough. That's my only concern. Something can look great as the demo did. But will we see it at a locked 60fps in high resolution. I'm done doing 30fps personally.

I’m not overly excited about everyone jumping into bed with epic and tying their futures to 'one engine to rule them all'. It stifles a lot of creativity and innovation and easily end up with a whole host of games feeling and looking the same.

I get why they do it, creating powerful bespoke tools is not an easy task, you can’t knock up a Decima engine or whatever overnight. Plus it’s the staff as well, Unreal is so ubiquitous anyone you hire will know how to use it, you don’t need to spend six months bringing them up to speed with your own tools.

Unreal is hugely powerful but let’s not pretend it’s perfect, it’s foliage system are basic as all heck and Unreal games on PC are just broken these days.

I’m not that worried about Unreal and world dominance.

Unity is still more common than Unreal and there are plenty other engines like CryEngine, Amazon Lumberyard and, of course, a whole plethora of bespoke engines at the big developers

More importantly I really hope they improve the storytelling, gameplay, character design, etc. in the next iteration of Tomb Raider. I played all three games in the last Gen trilogy, but in hindsight they were really all kinds of meh.

Last edited:
I’m so looking forward to seeing what this looks like. i Assume this won’t be out on last gen since that doesn’t support UE5?

Some interesting news regarding Tomb Raider. Square Enix has sold all their holdings in what used to be Eidos to raise money for other projects. This includes the Tomb Raider IP, along with other franchises plus developers Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal. So they wont be publishing the next TR game.

This seems to be officially happening now…

4F051D6C-6D81-46B9-893C-FAB059DE711A.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom