Tomb Raider : Angel Of Darkness

Hawklord

Prominent Member
Reaction score
It's has had mixed reviews this one so far. I even cancelled my pre-order 'cause it was getting such a pasting.
Anyone actually played it yet?
Is it as bad as the reviews say?
It'd be a shame as I was soooo looking forward to this game . It's meant to be the first episode in a trilogy so if it's buggy and crap doesn't look too good for our Lara:rotfl:

There is another thread for this title, but on the PS2, you may want to have a look at that one. It doesn't look promising for either format.

I'm still on the trainer and I'm getting lockups, always in the same place. Starts with not being able to move on a ladder, only way to shift is to let go, drop to the ground then the screen goes black. Hardware reset is the only way I can find to get out of it. Jesus, haven't even started the bloody thing yet and already it's starting to look seriously bugged.

Originally posted by Hawklord
just noticed theres a patch out already for it. You might want to download and install.

OK, that's fixed the lockup which is immediately followed by a cut scene so that must have been the problem. Only thing now is the ridiculously over-sensitive left and right turn which has you crashing into walls like a dodgem car when things start to get a bit immediate. Too many controls, too sensitive, just too much to do...and I'm only walking up stairs! This looks like a steep learning curve, I hope it's worth it.

I 've read comments by a lot of ppl on the overclockers forum. They slagged it off big time until they got the hang of the control system. A lot seem to be now having a change of heart so maybe not as bad as ppl originally thought.
I'm still gonna hold of for a while maybe till it hits the bargain bins and has all patches available to fix all the bugs etc.

Seems a lot better 'steering' using a mouse, or in my case a trackball. The sensitivity can be adjusted from zero (where nothing happens) right up to max where you can corner like Michael Schumacher on speed! A bit of twiddling sorts things out but the keyboard is a definite no no.

My tuppance worth
Got this game installed it on my daughers PC and it works great....install it on my PC .. Locks the pc solid after about 30 seconds

it is totally unplayable on mine, the VGA card in mine is a radeon 8500
my daughters has a Nvidia, so I am really cheesed off, as my daughter doesnt want me hogging her PC

as for the actual game on hers. it looks to be really good, which makes me even more annoyed
got all the latest patches drivers etc. and it just does not want to know

Party Animal,

Don't sweat it, I run a GeForce 3 in my cooking PC and have the problems detailed above. My ninja rig has a Sapphire 9700 with Pro bios, just putting the finishing touches to some additional modding after which I'll be giving it the Tomb Raider treatment. I'll post back with the results.

CENSORED
I emailed Eidos yesterday expressing my dissapointment, but have not had a reply yet

Its not as though I,m a huge gamer or anything, The Tomb Raider series are the only games I play, yet I pay a fortune for all the latest gear etc -- and the bloody games still wont run???

by the way Theres only one Mega City in Yorkshire

Leeds

had no probs with this game
although it is weird to control at first compared to other games.

looks great on my geforce4 mx440

Just e-mailed Eidos with a problem. Stuttering video is the latest pain in the arse. Loaded the latest graphics drivers, sound drivers, buggered about with the res, colour depth and v sync but to no avail. What a load of crap eh?

Originally posted by CENSORED
Just e-mailed Eidos with a problem. Stuttering video is the latest pain in the arse. Loaded the latest graphics drivers, sound drivers, buggered about with the res, colour depth and v sync but to no avail. What a load of crap eh?

Have you downloaded the patch I mentioned in an earlier post?

This seemed to resolve the issues I initially had.:D

Hawklord,

Yeah, did that and the patch sorted the crashing problem. Seems this was an issue with the start of an FMV sequence which caused a lockup. That's now cured but this stuttering is the latest gremlin.

Update on this
I finally got a reply from eidos about this game not working on my PC
Basically they made me change a whole bunch of settings, disabling nearly everything....Lo and behold the game still crashes within 50 seconds of starting the game

now I dont like to be picky or anything - but this game has obviously been released with no quality control whatso-ever

it refuses point blank to run on my well specced PC

So I have now given up on it.. Last weeks micro mart magazine has a review ..and they are quite scathing...saying corporations have rushed the game release etc

whats also amusing is it takes 6 days for each email to be responded to

so go to the bottom of the class Eidos

AoD or DoA

With a development time equal only to the pyramids she raids, Tomb Raider, Angel of Darkness, isn't so much a game as it's a series of partially completed ideas.
And surprise surprise, it’s not half the game it’s cracked up to be.
And what’s more, it’s even more disappointing than the last effort (Chronicles)

If you are new to the Tomb Raider series then chances are it will be your last, for there are so many faults with the game.
And without a 2nd patch in site, mind you ,Its hard to figure were one would come from now, seeing as Core have been given the sack.

The controls will drive you absolutely insane.
The weird camera angles.
More bugs than you’ll find on a camels arse.
Controls that don’t work.
The graphical improvements have left it with huge frame rate loss.
Crashing. On average, 2 or 3 times every ½ hour of gameplay.
And what the hell is that notebook suppose to be about

I consider myself a diehard fan of the series, so it saddens me to see this pile of old poo.
I shan't be in such an all fired hurry to get the next incarnation, that’s for sure.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom